No rating

Pilgrim Lutheran School

Private | PK-8 | 150 students

HIgh test scores, small class size and individual attention

Living in Beaverton

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $169,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $830.

Posted April 28, 2014

A family atmosphere. High academic standards! Great test scores! Loving teachers who care about their students' academics, spiritual welfare, and personal lives. Parent volunteers who give countless hours to help make our school shine! Awesome lunch program that features healthy, made- from-scratch, fresh ingredients. A lot to offer for a very reasonable tuition.

Posted April 26, 2014

My son has been attending Pilgrim Lutheran since Kindergarten, and is now in 7th grade. The teachers have all been wonderful, nuturing, caring, and still holding the students to high standards. There is a closeness within the school, even though we don't attend the church. The only change I'd make is that the grades/classes are small, but the flip side is that students receive a lot of individual attention.

Posted September 26, 2013

I am writing this review as a former parent, our children no longer attend Pilgrim for a variety of reasons foremost being that we moved quite a bit away. We had 2 elementary age children, one preschooler and had been a part of the Pilgrim family for almost 8 years. That being said, no school is perfect but Pilgrim is definitely above average. I never doubted the quality of teaching staff (in all transparency we only went up through grade 4) or quality of education our children received. The educational needs of our kids were always met and often exceeded, we had a grade appropriate student and an accelerated student, both came out of this facility with strong academics. The part however, that you can't measure on any standardized test is the sense of family, caring, and community that exist here, your child is not a number or just another student. Every staff member has a vested interest in each and every kid that is palpable throughout all that they do. Pilgrim Lutheran School was no longer the right fit for our family but it might be for yours and is worth checking out!

Posted September 26, 2013

Our children have thrived at Pilgrim, and we have never looked back. Classroom size is great, activities and programs for the kids are fantastic, and the feeling of family is second to none. We are often asked where our kids go to school when out and about. When we tell them "Pilgrim Lutheran" we almost always hear what a great school it is, or that they are considering visiting to move their kids over from public. I agree with the last commenter. You have to come and see the school, visit the classrooms, and see Pilgrim in action.

Posted September 26, 2013

Pilgrim Lutheran School has been great for all 3 of my kids. My youngest started in Pre-4 and went all the way through the 8th grade. They were fully equipped for success in high school and beyond, not only academically but socially, as well.

Posted September 26, 2013

Pilgrim school is a small, family-focused school that cares deeply about their students and it shows. We love our kindergarten teacher Mrs Hafer!

Posted September 26, 2013

Great teachers, small class sizes,learn and grow in your faith each day! Academically rigorous. Exciting opportunities for all ages.

Posted September 10, 2013

I do not know where the previous reviewer is coming from. As a parent of students in this school I could not be more pleased. Every single teacher is more then qualified. As far as the technology push, I could not be more pleased, these days you have to be tech savvy and the opportunities pilgrim is providing all students with in this regard will be very beneficial. Many private schools refer out or turn away kids with special needs, pilgrim is more then accepting of all students and will do anything they can to provide students with any sort of specialized care or instruction. It is really unfortunate to see someone give such an inaccurate review of a growing school. There is a new principal in his 2nd year now and he has an amazing confidence in and inspiring dream for this school. Parents of students that have graduated from Pilgrim find that their kids are better prepared come high school then many others and HS teachers in the area have talked about how impressed they are with students coming from Pilgrim. As with any place, product, etc you can't base an opinion off of one "bad" review. You have to check it out for yourself.

Posted August 3, 2013

We have 3 kids attending this school and this will be their last year (we will most likely pull them mid year) The school has steadily declined in the past 7 years, almost as if they are still striving to figure out their identity. There has been a recent over zealous push for technology integration that seemed to come out of nowhere. Staffing consistency always seems to be a problem (numerous times there were grade levels without a teacher right up until August) along with teacher and student retention. Enrollment is declining at an alarming rate and we do not believe it is socially healthy to have our children in a class size less than 10. The quality of the teachers is questionable, the 3rd grade teacher is phenomenal while most others seem average at best. We are in the process of touring our local public school and are blown away by the resources available (Pilgrim has no exceptions for Talented and Gifted students nor for students that may need some extra academic help) along with clubs, sports, and extracurricular special interest groups. Pilgrim is a sinking ship and we are getting out, I would be surprised if they still exist as a school in 5-8 years.

Posted June 16, 2011

Both of my children attended Pilgrim (P3 thur 8th) and when they got to public high school they were better prepared then the other students. Both of my children's high school teachers have comments on the great education the kids received before high school. Love the teachers and staff. Very friendly and always helpful.

Posted May 27, 2011

Pilgrim is a wonderful school because of the teachers, small classes and family atmosphere. Check us out - you'll be glad you did!

Posted April 21, 2011

We have three kids in the school and they have excelled both academically as well as individuals. If you are looking for strong academics with a small class size this is the place. With the turmoil in the public schools I can't think of a better investment in your child than sending them to Pilgrim. Great teachers and great families!

Posted July 22, 2010

I have been a Pilgrim Parent for 3 years now, and I think the teaching, academics and the teaching of Christian principles is top notch. The only thing that is keeping this rating at a 4 instead of a 5 is the leadership of the principal. It is the school's only real weakness, in my opinion. I would like to see more REAL direction, decisions, and guidance from the principal, and right now I would say that's not happening. That said - in spite of the lack of leadership from the principal, the school is a gem. My child is not only taught, but LOVED there.

Posted June 21, 2010

My kids have graduated from Pilgrim and have gone on to excel in high school. The Pilgrim staff has prepared my kids not only with great academics but also with a great moral foundation. Pilgrim offers a great education in a loving Christian enviornment. My kids still come back to visit and seeing all the alumni at this year's graduation shows how much this school means to the kids.

Posted May 31, 2010

I am a parent of a preschooler and have enjoyed watching my student grow into a more sociable and enriched little person! Her teacher, Mrs. Ewing, is very involved with the class and makes sure each and every student is performing to the best of their abilities. Chapel every week is important for the children as it is geared towards them and helps them relate. My students manners have improved and her skill levels are such that is reading up to five letter words and is more than prepared for kindergarten. All the teachers are there for the students - you can tell by their dedication and love. The school itself is inviting and offers extra activities that many public school don't or are in the process of cutting. I encourage any parent considering Pilgrim to take a tour! I love our school!

Posted May 19, 2010

I have been a parent here @ Pilgrim for 3 years and LOVE it here. I can honestly say all of the teachers are completely invested in the lives of these children. Christ is taught and intermingled in every subject the kids learn. Chapel is great for them and run on "their" level rather than a church service. I know some people feel there is a cliquish attitude here, but honestly, every experience is what you make it. I choose to involve myself to the best of my abilities and try to have positive actions with all the other parents. My child has made great friends and has learned so much from his experiences here.

Posted June 26, 2008

My kids have excelled at Pilgim. Great academics which is supported by their test scores compared to other schools nation wide. Outstanding, experienced teachers and a great facility. Great loving environment but kids are held accountable for their actions which we appreciate.

Posted February 10, 2008

Our children have had an excellent education and an overall positive experience at Pilgrim. The teachers have nurtured our kids' love for learning and have taught them good organization skills as well accountabilty for homework and behavior. Our children have been able to participate in a number of extracurricular activities including basketball, volleyball, cheerleading, dance team, choir, handbells, band, drama, and chess club. If parents are cliquish, our kids haven't noticed because our family likes to focus on all the positive aspects of their education at Pilgrim.

Posted February 10, 2008

As a parent of a child who attend from pre-3 through 8th grade, I can say without a doubt that Pilgrim is wonderful! With caring staff and parent volunteers to strong academics and extra activities -- PLS has it all. Students leave well prepared academically and spiritually. Their foundation is strong for high school.

Posted February 8, 2008

I have a child who has attended this school and I also found many of the parents to be unfriendly and cliqish. It also seems this school at times drives away caring and godly people.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 12% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Computer specialist(s)
Art teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:10 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mr. Chris Herold
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Lutheran Church (Missouri Synod)

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Standards-based
  • Teacher-run
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Library
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Creative writing
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Book/reading club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom