PK-5|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

I have no experience with bullying at this school and have never heard of it happening.

Supports LD students: Neutral

I have no experience on this topic. I know my son came in late to this school and therefore his German isn't as advanced as other kids in his class and they are doing necessary work to ensure he can flourish and won't fall behind.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

The principal is so nice and kind. He's approachable and friendly and everyone respects him. All of the leadership decisions seem to be well thought out and very fair. The whole school is well organized.

Develops character: Strongly agree

There is a great sense of respect at GIS. The staff exudes integrity, compassion and respect and the kids see that and model after it. Everyone is very approachable. You can feel it walking down the halls, everyone is friendly and kind. Giving is especially important at this school. Families are required to volunteer and become a part of the school, which I think is great.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers are incredibly kind and caring. They are very passionate about what they do and how they teach. They are highly skilled at ensuring the kids learn both English and German curriculum.

Amount of homework: Neutral

My son is only in PK, there is not homework at this point. I have heard from other parents that homework isn't too overwhelming. I do not want my son at a school with heavy homework. I think GIS understands that kids need to go home and be kids after school.

What a fantastic school! My son is in PK this year. We knew we wanted to send him to a private school and toured many area schools. We were most impressed with GIS for it's warm, friendly staff, excellent academic standings, and of course the idea of our son being bilingual. We have no ties to Germany or the German language and yet feel right at home here. The staff is top notch, everyone from the teachers to the front desk administrators are so caring and kind. We actually wanted to avoid a school with too rigorous a curriculum. Seems GIS is the best of both worlds - - the students learn in a fun, caring environment, AND it's an IB school. My son loves coming to school each day - he's only 6 months in and he really is picking up the language! I love how all the parents actually drop off and pick up their kids, it's something you don't see in public school anymore. It fosters a great sense of community. There are no pretentious private school families here, just down to earth friendly parents and kids. I cannot say enough good things about this school. We are so pleased our son will get a great education where creativity is valued while learning a second language and still having recess, gym, music and even a library. For the cost I really feel like we are lucking out.

My children have been attending The German International School since preschool. My oldest son will enter 5th grade this September. My children are fluent in German now. Thank you GIS! They really love their school. The principle and staff are very loving and caring but, most importantly, serious about education. Presently, the school only goes through 5th grade. We would be staying if they offered middle school. While you are looking for a safe and nurturing place for your child, somewhere he or she will receive a quality education and in this case, a window to a different place in the world, I urge you to consider our school. I love the sense of community at this school. You also may be surprised at its diversity. They are welcoming to all. When I drop the boys off in the morning, I know they are in good hands. That is worth every penny we pay in tuition and if you are comparing tuition rates around our city, we have the best deal in town and our kids leave this school bilingual!

Develops character: Strongly agree

This school is an IB school. It is in the curriculum. Honesty, integrity and fairness are part of every child's study. They also do something called "Second Step" which helps teach kids about dealing with their emotions and social interactions.

I love the idea of my children having a bilingual education, even though I don't speak a bit of German. I wondered about how it would work, whether they would actually learn German, and if they did, how would the properly learn to read and write in English, etc. Sure enough, my elementary school child is now a voracious reader in both languages, and my kindergartener is well on his way. Both are challenged academically, physically, and have developed wonderful friendships. The small class sizes are awesome, and the teachers are top notch. The administration truly cares about the children's educational and developmental growth and supports the teachers' efforts and creativity. Plus, the other parents are really nice and down to earth, which, at least to me, is really important. Another plus- the afterschool program is totally awesome.

Last modified German International School Portland is a Private school that serves grades PK-5