Beaverton, OR

Sexton Mountain Elementary School 3

Posted June 06, 2014
Our child is attending this school. I think it is fantastic if your child is following well in the mainstream, but they are on an IEP I feel they just move them along to make their numbers. There needs to be a stronger special education program when a child isn't quite severe enough to be in SRC and not quite there to be in mainstream. There needs to be a middle ground.

Sexton Mountain Elementary School 4

Posted February 11, 2014
Sexton Mountain elementary is a nice, open public elementary school. I am in the fifth grade there and I am having a great time. I have gone there since kindergarten, and all in all I have had a pretty good experience. Kindergarten wasn't the best. First grade the teacher was awesome but the kids were mean. Second and Third grade I had an amazing teacher but there were some bullying issues. Fourth grade was another good teacher and okay kids.So far in fifth grade I am learning so much not just in academics but also about life. Here at Sexton Mountain, the 5th grade is the center of the school. You get to do many amazing things. I have no other school to compare it with, but I rate SMES 4 stars.

Posted November 09, 2013
I have two daughters at this school. Each daughter has different skills and needs. One needs to be challenged and the other needs a slower pace. BOTH children love this school and cannot wait to go every day. Sometimes I think they might be having too much fun and need more academics but test scores are high. Parents are extremely supportive. It is a great school. We moved into the neighborhood for this school.

Posted September 26, 2013
One of the best rated schools in the Beaverton School District. I am so impressed by the reading skills of my grandchildren.

Posted May 09, 2011
I have 2 boys who are currently attending Sexton Mountain. All I can say is this school has amazing teachers ,though of course there are a few questionable ones, but what school doesn't? The support staff is also a tremendous asset to this school; they show great amount of care and concern for the students. There are also some fantastic parents who give so much of their time in volunteering to help not only the teachers but the students benefit greatly from these parent volunteers! This is a great school for students and parents alike.

Posted March 07, 2011
Very happy with this school. My daughter is 8yo and we feel she receives the attention she needs to keep her going strong. She does very well in school and were worried she'd get bored. The teachers have been able to keep her challenged and are very responsive when situations are less than ideal with other students. We've had two bullying situations and the teachers and staff did an extraordinarily good job at handling it. Home work is well thought out.

Posted August 01, 2008
My child attended this school for two years. I was extremely disappointed with the academics and the response of teachers regarding bullying both on the playground and in the classroom. The homework was non existent and when I asked to challenge the student nothing was done. I have since removed my child from this school and will be enrolling them elsewhere.

Posted October 08, 2007
Wonderful and caring environment. Education is geared to the individual child and is developmentally appropriate. Principal is approachable and kind.

Posted February 14, 2006
As with any school, there are going to be kids who have a great experience and others who do not. You simply can't judge an entire school based on your child's poor experience. With that said we love Sexton Mountain. Dr. Martin (principal) is wonderful, and really cares for the children and encourages them to work through their problems at the lowest level, which is a basic life skill that all children should learn. We've enjoyed the teachers, and parent involvement is fantastic. What we also admire (aside from a strong academic base of course) is that this is one of the last remaining schools in the Beaverton District where the students are not only encouraged to exceed their acadmic abilities, they are also allowed some good old fashioned fun! The staff and parents are not stiff or overly 'PC'. The kids appreciate this, as do the parents. A+!

Sexton Mountain Elementary School 3

Posted January 25, 2006
Our son was in a blended classroom (1st-3rd grades) at Sexton Mountain. After the second month in school, he began to exhibit uncharacteristic and troubling behaviors. The school counselor referred us to his pediatrician for examination, inferring that our son's behaviors were not school related, but rather mental/emotional. We took him to a behaviorist who found nothing wrong with him and suggested placing him into another school. We did and haven't had any problems since. Our most significant complaint with Sexton was that after 4 months w/o any improvement in our son's behavior, the school refused to make requested changes such as placing him in a non-blended classroom or even simply placing him with a different table group, stating they want kids to work through these things themselves. By the time we finally pulled our son out, he was crying 3-4 times a day he was so miserable and unhappy.

15645 SW Sexton Mtn Dr, Beaverton, OR  97007
Last modified Sexton Mountain Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sexton Mountain Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top