Bad
Good

I was very excited for my child to attend Garfield based on the reviews and especially regarding their dual enrollment program. However, due to knowing too little Spanish, he was denied access to the dual enrollment teachers. Throughout the year the only bilingual teaching he received was 30 minutes a day (except on Fridays). He complained constantly of issues with other children while at the same time having issues with his learning style meshing with that of the teacher's. He was sent to the front office often and I was contacted often. At first I was aghast and worked with the teachers/administrators with consequences at home matching regular reports. Once my son began complaining of other kids in the class disliking him and bullying him while he would still be getting in trouble for the infractions I began to have doubts. When I found out my son was injured with no call to me, I confronted them regarding the communication breakdowns between the office and the teacher. In the last two months since changing schools my son has had absolutely no behavioral issues with his teacher or his class.

Our eldest has been doing really well in the dual-language program and learning an amazing amount of Spanish (it keeps brains busy, which for a TAG student can be really important) while still charging ahead in English. We are excited to have our youngest start kinder here next year. We've seen a lot of excellent teachers each year, and the one that didn't mesh well with our student, really worked hard to turn it around, and did. A really good school!

Garfield is not a good school at all. It doesn't care about the education of the students with English as their first language, it only concentrates on the students who have English as their second language. There is also very negative and racial attitudes that come from some of the Hispanic population, directed at the other children. Ignored by the staff and principle.

I volunteer at Garfield School; it has teachers who are working wonders with the kids!

The quality of education and opportunities at Garfield is wonderful! The diversity of the children and teachers provides a very rich stimulating educational experience and my child love attending school at Garfield.

Last modified Garfield Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.