Bad
Good

Our child attended YG and we were very involved at the school as parent volunteers. This is truly one of Eugene's best elementary schools and our child is the better for . All of the "sensei" (teachers) are experienced and truly committed to the school's program. Those who teach Japanese are native speakers and are from Japan. The school also utilizes university interns who come from Tokyo to work with the students. In addition to the strong academic program, which is demonstrated every year in test results, the school is the most diverse school in the 4J District. Many cultures, economic levels, and educational backgrounds are represented at YG. As soon as you walk through the front doors, you'll immediately see that this school is unique. We are grateful to have been a part of the Yujin Gakuen community. Arigato!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Yes, teachers are effective at this school. Though each teacher was very different in personality and style of teaching, they are accomplished professionals.

Amount of homework: Agree

We thought that the content and amount of homework was appropriate. And, yes, your child will be able to do their Japanese homework even without your help! We even learned a bit of Japanese ourselves. That your child has to think in two languages is a great thing!

Develops character: Strongly agree

Sensei and Kocho-sensei (teachers and principal) are proactive in maintaining high standards for student behavior and to ensure a positive environment for all students

I have had both my children attend YG and I absolutely love it! The kids are sheltered in a way that other schools aren't able to do in a good way! I love every bit of it. Very good education and ALWAYS in school very limited no school days. If I had to choose again I would choose YG in a heart beat. For those that rate this school poorly I can honestly say they probably have not attended. You do not need to financially contribute to have your child enrolled......YG ROCKS!!!!!!!

This is an excellent school to immerse and learn about Japanese culture. Since teachers are Japanese native-speakers, kids learn to speak Japanese the right way without leaving English behind. My daughter enjoys a lot been at this school, English is her second language and Japanese her third.

The immersion program is great for an alternate learning environment and YG offers a unique opportunity in a public system. I do believe that there is room for improvement. On the Japanese side of things, the instructors seem to have a "get it" or get left behind system. Maybe that is the Japanese way, but that doesn't work if your kid stumbles and gets behind (kind of a no mercy system). Some teachers are great, others mediocre at best. The Principal is somewhat of a pacifist and he has ducked difficult matters and conversations in the past. Also, it is my impression that there is a fair amount of children attending that come to the school knowing Japanese, which off balances the learning process. Additionally, it appears from watching classrooms activities and extra curricular programs that the girls and leading their classes over boys by leaps and bounds?? Choose Wisely!

This is my daughter's first year at YG, and so far she absolutely loves it! We haven't been around long, but you can definately tell that the parents and teachers are really involved and that they truly care for the students and their education. The program itself is amazing. After the first couple of days of school my daughter was already walking around singing Japanese songs! Not only is there language immersion, but there is also an emphasis on computer skills at this school, which is nice especially in today's society.

My chlid loves this school! Coming from a private school, my nerves were jittery about the transition. The last school only had 25 kids total (k-5). Each class had just under 25 kids with 2 classes for each grade. The teachers are amazing! The Principal knows his students, each and every one of them! This school has a wonderful balance of discipline and fun, while provinding a high level of education to all the children. I'm proud to have my child attend YG. This place is so affordable, all it costs is my time. Volunteering is a worth while investment in my childs education. Thank you!

Love the atmosphere. It is a pubic school ran like a private school and the kids all seem happy.

Last modified Yujin Gakuen Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5