Salish Ponds Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted May 24, 2014

This is a such a great school, we come from California where the child to teacher ratio was higher, both teachers my son has had were terrific, and very involved! I don't see how this school has such a score, when it excels!

Posted May 23, 2013

Salish Ponds has gone through some changes with the principal and their reading program. When my children first started, there were teachers who went in everyday to help with reading in the class. The kids were in small groups so they had more attention. Now, there is a teacher with 30 or more kids in the room. My child has over 30 students and said she does not get a lot of help because the teacher cannot even meet with the kids in small group but once a week. This is not the teacher's fault, my daughter really likes her teacher. We really like the office staff and the teachers and the counselor has been helpful. Communication from the principal who is new is not the greatest and I have heard kids in my daughters class using bad language or being rude to other kids or even adults, which I had not witnessed a couple of years ago. Overall though, I have loved this building and it's staff.

Posted April 30, 2013

I had a great experience w/Salish Ponds Elementary. My 1st grader loved his teacher Mrs. Nuygen. She is very delightful. We had to transfer to this school and the process was very quick and easy. I'm one of those parents who is not a fan of uniform clothes and this school is a manditory uniform school. I believe it doesn't make a difference in any way shape or form for the children, especially in Elementary school. It's more of an expense problem for the parents!! So for that, I give it 4 stars instead of 5. And I never could figure out who the Principal was. She didn't ever introduce herself or make herself known in the office or at school functions. Which the other schools I checked out did, so I found that a little puzzling as well.

Posted December 10, 2012

I HATE this school. Teacher communication is absolutely TERRIBLE! Receive notifications for school pictures and extra curricular activities 1 or 2 days before the deadline for payment. The staff seems nice but in general have no clue what they are doing. I once received a phone call saying that my son was not in class, after I had watched him get on the bus, I call and no one had any idea if he was in class or not, so I had to leave my job and drive there in order to make sure my son was there! he was in class the whole time, but you can imagine as a parent how scary that would be. The principal is nice however has taken a crusade on cracking down on cursing when there is an abundant bully problem. seems her priorities are not in the right places. The experience I have had thus far with the 1st grade teacher is a complete refusal to make ANY effort to maintain contact with me or my husband. This is after several visits to school and giving email and phone numbers for her to contact us about my sons progress. Unless we physically going to the school during the day, there is no communication and we have made SEVERAL attempts throughout the year. we are thankfully moving soon.

Posted June 1, 2011

I absolutely hate this school!!! I have 2 boys who are both currently attending this school. 1 of my children excels and the other struggles...while the one that is struggling is getting help the one that is advanced is not. The parent teacher communication is lacking and I constantly feel that I am the only one making an effort. My kids went to Hall Elementary last year and I just absolutely HATE this school!! If they could get picked up by a bus to go anywhere else I would have them there!! I already have plans and my kids have been accepted to go to a charter school next year. I can't wait to say good bye and good riddance!!

Posted April 28, 2010

I hate to say good bye to the school. My Girls have been going here from the start of K and this is there last year. The Staff is very much on point to the the kids and parents needs. There is really nothing that I can say about this school that I have not loved and cherrished the years that I have been involved. If you get a chance to be in this area and you love the fact that your child will be wearing uniforms to learn and not see who has on what you have come to the right place --- Salish Ponds I will miss you, and wish that it went all the way to Highshl

Posted June 25, 2008

what can I say about this school?..has been the best experience for us my daughter, wife and myself, the teachers really take care of our kids, I, very proudof this school, my daughter its finishing the school in here, but I'm still goint to be part of this school maybe for 5 more years (mi son its starting the school) great school

Posted November 27, 2007

My oldest daughter has attended Salish Ponds since it opened. I have been impressed and thrilled with the teachers, staff and leadership of the school. My daughter has not only grown in her education but also in her confidence because of the amazing music program we have. I am happy that while my oldest will be leaving next year I have 3 more years to be involved in the school. I will say that my only negative is that not enough parents get involved. Go to the meetings, meet the teachers - they love the parents almost as much as the students! Thank you Salish Ponds for being part of my children's lives.

Posted November 21, 2007

Great Teachers; wonderful music program, one of the best around. The uniforms are great. If you are looking for timely communications, not here.

Posted November 1, 2007

Wow. We love Salish Ponds, the teachers, and we love the principal. She is always available, helpful, friendly, and a real problem-solver. We love having our kids go to this school, it's like a private school, but it's public! There were some gossipy, negative parents, and a weak parent group, controlled by just a few of the moms. My husband and I refused to keep going to those meetings because of the negative attitude of these women. This year, we have been to almost all of the meetings of the new parent group and the principal has reorganized the group because it was a mess! She seems to have turned it around into a positive experience. Some parents don't appreciate good leadership! Nice work Salish Ponds! I wouldn't want my kids in any other school!

Posted October 1, 2007

We have been very pleased with our school. Our oldest started as a first grader when the school opened in 2003, and each year the school has improved. Teachers and administrators show genuine care for their students, and there is a major focus on creating an environment for learning. Although initially unsure of our feelings about a 'code of dress' (basically uniforms) we have been very happy with this policy and think it makes a real difference for the children at the school. All of the teachers we have had have been very willing to work with us to meet our children's individual needs. The music program is particularly impressive, with performances and programs that are enjoyable and well put-together. There is still room to improve and grow for this school, but overall, I would recommend it without hesitation.

Posted July 28, 2007

Great school. Great staff. Great leadership. Great progress kids make. Dedicated people working with kids - making a difference! I wouldn't want my kids to go anywhere else! It's like a private school, except it's public. More schools should look to the leadership of Salish ponds.

Posted June 29, 2007

Salish Ponds is like a model school. We have to move, so we are going to find another home in Salish Ponds area just because of the school! It has been the best school ever! Every teacher is awesome. The principal is friendly, caring, and welcomes the kids to school in the morning. She returns parent calls right away, sends notes home to kids, and works with the parents. Flowers are blooming all over the front entry. The office staff is great. Most of all, the kids learn at Salish Ponds! There are not many behavior problems because the principal and teachers all work together with a common goal and mission. There are four or five parents with really negative attitudes about everything in their lives, but there are always people in the world like that. The staff doesn't let those few negative parents bring anyone down! Awesome!

Posted May 4, 2006

Salish Ponds is an amazing school! My children are doing better than they have ever done in school. The teachers really connect with the students at this school and put alot of extra time and energy into making the lessons great. The principal is friendly, smart and dynamic. She has made the school a place where chidlren (and adults) want to spend their days. Children wear code of dress to school and we love it as parents and most of the children love it, too. The principal is really involved in the learning of the children and is an instructional leader. The school has a great music program. All 4th and 5th graders can be in band or orchestra - and they even have a marimba band! You should really go and see this school! It's a treasure that is hidden back out of view of the street!

Posted December 30, 2005

Salish Ponds ELementary is a wonderful school for any k-5 student. I especially like that every child participates in art, gym, and music. Salish Ponds has wonderful incentive programs tailored to the childs grade level for completing homework and reading assignments on time. They stress the importance of reading and comprehension to every student and they offer a curriculum that is designed to be both challenging and fun. Both of my boys, grades K and 5, like the fact that Salish Ponds Elementary has a Code of Dress.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 66% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Oregon used the Oregon Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (OAKS) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in reading and math; in grade 11 in writing; and in grades 5, 8 and 11 in science. The OAKS is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Oregon. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students30%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 82%N/A51%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1210 NE 201st Ave