Public charter
Portland, OR

Posted April 04, 2012
Placed based education teaches the children how to not only support but to thrive with natures most basic resources. The children that go to this school LOVE to learn and participate fully in all of the fun and exciting activities created for them. This school will create lasting memories for the students that attend. Both of my kids are enrolled here and I went to this school myself as a child. Best foundation you can give your child!

Posted April 21, 2010
It is an excellent school. The teachers are fantastic. The kids love to learn and really excel. They have an abundance of parent volunteers. The community backs the school 100%. All my children have attended Sauvie Island. In fact, I also attended the Island School. There's no where else that I would ever send my children!

Sauvie Island Academy 0

Posted July 21, 2008
I totally agree with the review before mine. Sauvie Island School has the potential to be one of the best schools around. They just need to get a real principal and stop letting parents make the decisions. Paul Peterson needs to quit trying to please all the people all of the time and get a backbone. he is not there enough to really know what goes on and makes hasty decisions based more on what parents think should be done rather than what is best for the school.

Sauvie Island Academy 3

Posted July 15, 2008
Sauvie Island School is indeed a magical place! The teachers and staff are incredibly caring and talented. The parents are supportive and the PTC is probably the most effective in the district. The Superintendent is the 'part time principal' but is quite ineffective in that role. The school needs and deserves a present and strong leadership. Unfortunetly , the superintenedent allwos a small group of parents make vital decisions about the school.

Posted March 03, 2008
Sauvie Island School is a special gem. It is small but has tremendous parent involvement and a large community of support. This support translates into many special programs not available at all schools. Art, music, Spanish, PE, and extra classroom assistants mean lots of stimulation and extra attenttion. Several of the staff members have been teaching or working there for over a decade. The place really feels like an extension of my family. If my daughter were not able to attend this special school in this special environment I would probably choose to home school her.

Posted February 10, 2008
I have 3 kids who will go through the Sauvie Island School. What I like best is the sense of community and the dedication to the school and our kids.

Posted February 09, 2008
I can not imagine my kids going anywhere else. This school is the best thing that has happened to my family. Many people in our community are not giving the facts or truth about this wonderful school. Kids that have had problems at the other district schools transfer to SI and love it, and wonder why they didn't transfer sooner. The teachers, staff and volunteers are unbelievable. Everyone is made to feel welcome. The school is able to fully function with an absent principal.

Posted January 21, 2008
We are lucky to have this gem of a public school available for our children. Any child from Scappoose School District can ask to transfer. Teachers are wonderful, culture is fabulous,kids learn to treat each other with respect.

Posted May 27, 2006
This is truly one of the best school's in the district. The teachers and staff are truly dedicated to the students. Parent support is very strong. The only issue is the principal.

Sauvie Island Academy
14445 NW Charlton Rd, Portland, OR  97231
Last modified Sauvie Island Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sauvie Island Academy Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top