William Walker Elementary School 4

Posted September 29, 2011
I went to this school in 4th grade and the beginning was rough. I was teased on my first day by a 5th grader who asked what happened to my other ponytail. (I was wearing a side ponytail and it was supposed to be that way.) Then a couple days later I developed an infection in a zit on my face which made it look discolored and a girl called me a witch. So we can say that this school wasn't great in the beginning.. BUT, I'm so glad I stuck around. I ended up making tons of friends and developed an amazing best friend who I hung out with everyday. And eventually those bullies envied the fact that I was so likable. One thing to remember though is, this school has a lot of hispanic's who live in poverty/gangs.. So just watch out. Also they used to have an after school program! It was awesome. They even gave us bus rides home at night when it ended. Not sure if that's still around but it was a blast. Bottom line: Great school. just takes time to adjust.

William Walker Elementary School 1

Posted April 28, 2011
the new Principal Joann Hulquist is not like the old Principal who bild everything and made the school top of the line this new Principal has no open door policy she if not friendly she dont even say hello when she walks by you with you kids she always hide and i dont think many of us even know her well i asked to see her once and she refused and told her staff to tell us what we need if its for teacher go talk to the teacher if its for me you have to make an appointment to see me.i am pllaning to take my child out of this school this year i wish the old Principal was here to see all her hard work to get this school nominated is done in the drain.i hope before its to late she gets replace by some one who cares for the kids and the school and parants voice.

Posted March 23, 2011
We love William Walker. Excellent teachers, and a population that is mostly ESL offers culturally enriched friendships for my children. TAG program as well as awesome after school programs. Lots of parental involvement, and a joyful atmosphere. We feel so lucky that this is our neighborhood school!

William Walker Elementary School 3

Posted August 12, 2010
I loved this school when I was in 4th there, I'm in 8th now. I had the best teacher and the free after school program was awesome! I also made a best friend there, we never talk anymore but just having that best friend made my school time and summer unforgettable. You should definitely send your son/daughter here for great friends that last a life time and excellent teachers.

Posted April 05, 2010
I am so glad I sent my son to William Walker. Having a TAG student, I was concerned he would not be challenged due to the high ESL population. I found this has not been the case. The teachers and curriculum are great and my son really enjoys every day there. Each child is challenged at their level so they continue to achieve and learn and no one is stuck waiting for slower learners to catch up. I am proud to say my children go to William Walker, a truly exceptional school.

William Walker Elementary School 0

Posted October 13, 2008
William Walker use to be a great school. Their idea of the thinking room is very outdated and does not seem to work for most of the kids. I believe there is a better way to handle the kids. The kids leaving their home room to go to other classes. I believe they are still in grade school not high school. Some of these things should be reviewed by the teachers.

William Walker Elementary School 2

Posted October 10, 2008
The culture of the school is rigid; their approach to discipline is overly punitive. My kids did not feel supported, they felt scared and uncomfortable. Their needs were subordinate to the needs of the large ESL population. It's a numbers thing - if 70% of your students need one type of support, then you're going to put your resources into that and any other student with different needs loses out.

William Walker Elementary School 4

Posted November 01, 2007
William Walker is a school with a diversified student population. I had some trepidation regarding the large amount of ESL students but the systems they've set up convince me my child is receiving an outstanding education.I feel and have observed some outstanding qualities and committment of the teachers and administration. I believe the school strives to foster a safe, encouraging place for my child to learn.

Posted March 08, 2007
I love the great patience and passion that all of the school staff has for the wonderful job they do each day. The school is wonderful the programs and activities are great.

Posted June 16, 2006
This is a wonderful school dedicated to educational excellence. Every child is given the opportunity to reach their full potential. The teachers and administrators are changing the world and we are fortunate to be part of their vision.

William Walker Elementary School
11940 SW Lynnfield Ln, Portland, OR  97225
Last modified William Walker Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
William Walker Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top