Bad
Good

The teachers and staff go above and beyond for each and every student. My son started kindergarten with no letter recognition or reading skills whatsoever. By the end of the year, he's reading EVERYTHING and he loves it! There are so many positive things that happened, I can't post them all. I'll just say that 1st grade starts in a few days and we're excited to see what he learns this year.

We moved from out of state, and I was nervous about sending my children to a school with a "5" rating on this website. However, we are now in our second year at Peninsula, and I am happy that this is our neighborhood school. My family attends school functions, and I volunteer for events when I can. And because I am involved, by children are known by parents and administrators, which makes me feel good. I love that every face at Peninsula is familiar, even of those whose names I don't know. Getting involved in the school has done a lot to change my perception. I understand that a "5" rating (which is based on test scores) doesn't automatically mean that a school is bad one. There are so many other factors that make a school a good one, and I see that now from the inside.

I am a parent of a first grader at Peninsula and I am sad to say, I would not recommend this school. I wanted to love it because it is our neighborhood school and when my son started their in kindergarden it had such promise, but then the Principle left and they have hired a new one who has made many changes that were not for the better.

I am a parent of a kindergartener that actually did the lottery to be a part of this wonderful school. I love the fact that staff greet the students every morning and are also there upon departure. Most know all the students (and some parents) by name. Peninsula is that "country feel school in the city." Teachers are truly passionate about the education of our children. Class sizes are small, 17:1 for most. This is an ethnically diverse school, rare in Portland. One of the few schools to have a music teacher. While we unfortunately do not have an arts teacher, the principal is proactive in bringing arts education from outside sources. I love walking down the hallways and seeing the plethora of art and murals that adorns our walls, especially in the cafeteria. We have a cute playground, apple orchard and garden. Our SUN school program offers music, the arts, physical education, cooking, exercise classes and more. We have a small yet dedicated and growing PTA. I do wish we had more physical education, a sanctioned arts teacher and longer lunches, but other than that am pleased with this school. Overall, I am very happy to be here and proud to be a Peninsula Panther.

I have a fifth grade student and a Kindergarten student at Peninsula K-8. I like the smaller classrooms (25 is largest class) and the dedicated teachers. The parent involvement is growing and student attitude is gaining momentum as well. It is nice to walk to school, say "hi" to neighbors, and have a variety of cultures to learn from. I am also impressed with the quality of help my mainstream special ed son receives.

I have a third grader. I believe in community schools so I have my child in the neighborhood school, warts and all! I LOVE the teachers, and the class size is great. The actual facility looks and feels like a place of learning. Our 7th and 8th graders have some of the best math scores in town. The principal is indeed a difficult personality. That said his entire focus has been raising the scores and getting teachers the help they need to help the kids. Every year has kept some amount of arts education, and tries to seek out grants and visiting programs to keep the kids with arts education. Overall I am very happy to have my child in this school

I enrolled my 2nd grader at Peninsula when we moved to the neighborhood and she is so happy there. She had made a dozen friends after just the first week! Teachers here are amazing and really care about the students. There are also many special (and often free) extra programs and events, including free afterschool enrichment (math, drama, cooking, etc). I think the school does a good job of promoting a caring, cooperative environment that values diversity.

My husband went to this school when he was a boy and is why we live in this neighborhood again. All 2 of my 3 children currently attend and I find that the teachers are great and very effective in there teaching methods. Principal might be alittle to be desired but all in all is a great school to place your children in.

Overcrowded class rooms for the 08-09 school year led us to pull our kid in the middle of the year. Also little parental envolvement, so many of the kids were mean and poorly behaved. The teachers I met were really good, but the new principal was rude and ineffective. We tried to tough it out because of the teacher and great special education help, but ultimatly my kid was terrified to go to school due to being repeatedly hit by some older boys in his blended grade classroom. The playground lacked proper supervision as well. All in all it was a typical underfunded school in a low income area where the kids get short-changed every step of the way!

Last modified Peninsula Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.