No rating

St. Josaphat Ukrainian Catholic School

Private | PK-8 | 230 students

Living in Philadelphia

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $94,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Sweep tile

Posted April 2, 2013

I love this school. It is a great envoirenment for students to learn, grown, and have fun at the same time.

Posted June 18, 2012

St. Josaphat Ukranian Catholic School is a great school. The principal, teachers, and office staff really give it their all. The Home and School, and many of the parents, are really involved and work hard for the children. In addition to regular school subjects, the students are given instruction in the Ukrainian language and culture, and learn about the Ukrainian Catholic tradition. We are the last Catholic school in Philadelphia to do so, as the other schools closed years ago. Many people don't even know there are Catholics other than Roman Catholics! I graduated from this school years ago. It was a great school then, and it still is.My husband and I have been proud and happy to send our children to St. Josaphat's.School. We hope it stays open for many more years! If you are looking for an outstanding school for your child, your search is over. This is it. Don't hesitate to register.

Posted June 13, 2012

I LOVE this school! I am in 6th grade and I have been going here since kindergarten! St. Josaphat provides a great education, a friendly environment, and outstanding teachers! The teachers make school work fun, but educational at the same time! I would be devastated if this school closes! I truly love this school and the students who attend as well! St. Josaphat has a family-like environment where every student knows each other! It is such a great experience to be educated in a small school because children get the individual help that they need! I also love the fact that we are taught Ukrainian, it is such a good experience to be taught another language. The teachers do an amazing job teaching! I am on the board for student council and I participate in many activities! We have basketball, softball, and baseball! If you want your child to be in a safe and friendly environment, St. Josaphat is the perfect school!

Posted May 21, 2012

Great school attention is on small class size and individual attention for every student you do not have to be Ukrainian to go there but they do learn the language starting in kindergarten which I think is a bonus they also have free buses I wouldn't send my child anywhere else!

Posted May 17, 2012

What an amazing school! The staff and teachers genuinely care about the education they are providing and the overall well being of their students. I am so glad my grandchildren are attending. I cannot think of sending them anywhere else. The small class size, individualized attention that the students truly make for an outstanding school

Posted March 7, 2012

St. Josaphat is a stellar educational institute. The small class sizes ensure that every student gets much needed attention. Students have plenty of time to ask questions, and teachers have the time to answer. Falling behind and feeling anxiety from being lost in class is something the children here don t have to worry about. We have specialists, PA certified teachers with Masters Degrees, a registered nurse, and we offer tutoring after school. All staff continue to take college courses and attend workshops to be knowledgeable of the latest teaching techniques. Students learn about Ukrainian, as well as many other cultures, and we take pride in the differences and uniqueness of our student population. Many students are fluent in two languages. Innovative projects enhance the challenging curriculum and allow students to express their creativity. Student Council gets to experience firsthand the roles of government, and coordinates activities that the students love. Bullying, which is minimal in this caring family, is not tolerated. If you are a parent and want a safe, caring, and challenging environment for your student, then St. Josaphat is the school for you!

Posted March 6, 2012

I love this school! MY children are doing great. The staff and principal are great ,and they try so hard to make this school not only excel academically ,but also very safe for our children .And don't forget it takes teacher-parents efforts to make our children succeed in life.

Posted March 3, 2012

Worst misktake ever!!!!!!!! I basically paid for an education for my child at this school for him to be left behind. We switched schools this past year due to the outragous price of the tuition and the focus of Ukrainian class instead of the major subjects. When my child took a test to see where he standed with his new school - they found out that he was missing very crucial information in almost every subject. The atmosphere is nice if you want your child to have fun and not learn the appropiate and very necessary things in order to succeed.

Posted October 26, 2011

I cannot say enough wonderful things about St. Josaphat's. The teachers and staff here truly care about the students. This is a school where the children are treated like family. They get a lot of individualized attention which allows the teachers to pick up on any issues that they are struggling with academically. I feel very good about my choice to send my son to St. Josaphat's. I know that he is getting high quality education, that he is safe, and that he will be nurtured by the adults here.

Posted October 5, 2011

Love, love, love Mrs. Scally! (1st grade teacher) I can't say enough good things about this teacher. I have never met anyone so dedicated to a school. She loves these children like they are her own. My son loves her method of teaching, she makes it interesting and fun! She encourages the kids to work their best and acknowledges them when they do a good job. My son actually enjoys doing his homework! She cares about what they eat for lunch, encouraging them to pack healthly food, making nutrition important to them. On gym day, she takes the kids to the park/playground so they can have fun together. She takes them on trips to the library, again making it both educational and fun! My daughter who is now in 9th grade was also a student of Mrs Scally. She still talks about how much she loves her and the many great memories of 1st grade. "Scientist of the Week" and "Veggie Tale Fridays" were her favorite activities in Mrs. Scally's class. Nine years later she still does these same things with the kids. She is a ball of energy and a great asset to the school. I am privleged to have had her teach my daugher and now my son. Noreen Rubio (Kelsey and Cristian's mom)

Posted September 9, 2011

I have been teaching at St. Josaphat Ukrainian Catholic School for many years. I LOVE this school, it's students, staff, and parents. We nurture a family environment and educate students who go on to great high schools and eventually college. Our student council trains students to be tomorrow's leaders. Our parents are amazing and many are involved in activities supporting the school through the Home & School Association. The principal and office staff are wonderful and keep everything running smoothly and efficiently. All of our teachers are certified by the State of PA, with some holding Masters Degrees. One is a Registered Nurse. We get the job done! Our students are very special to us and we look forward to coming to work every day. Most importantly, the students love our school!! They feel right at home and yours will too! Come check us out

Posted March 22, 2011

If i would have known what i know now I would have never enrolled my child at St. Josaphat Ukrainian Catholic school. Dont make the same mistake I did. The teachers at this school do not care at all. The principal is very rude. My child would have done better at a public school. My child will not be attending next year.

Posted March 10, 2011

I agree with the parent below that says it is a nightmare. The principal is horrible, and the teachers don't seem like they even want to teach the necessary subjects that makes our children succeed in life for instance Math, Science, Social Studies. They cry poor mouth all the time, raise the tuition every year and don't fix the building up, the bathrooms fllod every year the heater breaks every year...ect... and they loosing kids left and right. My daughter comes home with little to none homework and rarely has math during theschool day!!! Not acceptable.

Posted February 3, 2010

Love, Love, Love this school! I cannot say enough about how wonderful this school is for my children. There is a warm, welcoming feeling as soon as you enter St. Josaphat. The principal and staff are amazing. They are very approachable and personally know and care about each student. The academics are Great and because of the small classes, each child gets lots of attention in regards to learning. My kids love going to school here. St. Josaphat is like their second family and they feel safe and happy when they are learning. I would highly recommend this school to anyone and feel blessed to be a part of such a wonderful school!

Posted November 9, 2009

Great things at St. Josaphat's. Their Haunted House was amazing. They just had a school dance which was a huge success. The events that they have really get the kids involved and teaches them responsibility and leadership and teamwork. The academics are great. New teachers in the past few years really has made an impact. A great family environment.

Posted August 9, 2009

I absolutely love this school. The new teachers that were hired are amazing. They truly create a fun and educational learning experience. They know what they are doing. My children love this school and the teachers! You get a warm feeling entering the building. However, I would like to see them crack down on discipline problems. If they keep allowing discipline problems stay at the school it'sgoing to go downhill extremely fast! Don't let that happen!

Posted February 7, 2009

Saint Josaphat's is a great family. This school has teachers that care and parents who want to be involved. They are offering new programs every year it seems. This summer they will have a summer camp as well. They really are interested in keeping kids happy and busy!

Posted August 23, 2008

I am in 8th grade at st. joaspahts and my brother is in the 4th grade. They have alot to offer in classrooms and the teacher are amazing. We have basketball and softball and i think we may be getting more sports. my friend and i like the school alot.I have been going there since 6th she has been since kindergarden. we love and are sad to be graduating. i would highly recommend this school to any student looking for a new school! -Alivia-

Posted April 25, 2008

Sice the 2005 - 2007 ratings there has been many change. The school has offered art and music as well as a softball team for the girls and baseball for the boys. It is the secret jewel of Tacony. Fiends of St. Josaphat School

Posted April 22, 2008

I would like to say St Josaphats is a wonderful school i have 3 childern in this school grades 7th, 2nd and pre-k and my oldest who is now in 10th grade also went here. small classes make it easy to learn and get to know eachother i always tell anyone who is looking for a great school to send there kids here!

Two or more races 7% N/A
Asian 2% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • Ukrainian

School start time
  • 8:10
School end time
  • 2:35
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (215) 332-1876

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious