No rating

St Martin Of Tours School

Private | PK-8 | 455 students

Living in Philadelphia

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $65,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $850.

Posted December 10, 2013

My son graduated from SMT going to a Catholic high school were he received a four year scholarship. I know that the teachers did a good job. My son has been an honor student for four years. He is also taking college courses this year. GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SMT. I want to thank the teachers that work with my son.

Posted November 19, 2013

SMT is such a diverse and exciting school! I think if you're more of an extrovert and like joining activities, then you'll just fit right in :) I must admit, it's becoming less and less diverse every yr. after the 8th gr. classes graduate. The diversity is , in my opinion what helps this school keep going strong... I love it here though It feels like home, you make so many good friends, and even though the curriculum is not the best, our teachers enable us to make our own decisions and strive to do our best! ... When you pass by SMT, please consider your child to attend OUR school.

Posted September 3, 2013

S.M.T. is a very welcoming and diverse school. The teachers will always be there or you if you need help, or are struggling in your classes. Although their academic skills, are a bit mediocre and I feel like they're not teaching us enough on our levels. I love the extra curriculum, there's so many things to join!! If you're new to Philly and are looking for a school to attend, Sm.T. is your place- guaranteed!! BUT- if you want your children to have a better education & are looking for more challenging classes I think St. Martha's or any other private school is best =)

Posted March 20, 2013

SMT is the best school ! I have been here for 9 years and it has been great . The teachers and staff are really helpful and experienced . I see new kids come in from different countries and they all seem to fit in . I am thankful that my parent decided to let me come here .

Posted August 20, 2012

I've been going to S.M.T. for 6 years and it's a very fun and good school to go to. But they do ask for money (like all the time) and every activity has to be paid for. But as long as we're getting the learning experience that we deserve and good facilities then alright. I like our teachers and their routines shout out to best Math teacher~ Mr.P! I love our music teacher and coaches for sports. Cons ~ there are some snobby people there and demerits given. Sometimes I don't like how they tell you don't eat junk food and complain about our weight and then they sell soda and junk. Hypocrites but other than that...we are S.M.T. family. Send your child here!! =) There's scholarships!

Posted June 29, 2011

The MOST MONEY HUNGRY School i have ever come across! I'm willing to struggle for my kids but when St. Martins raised tuition DOUBLE, I just thought this is not right Am i supposed to get a third job now? then I'll never see my children! They say God starts in the home, Yeah well us parents are never there because we are working for catholic tuition and this is NOT what being a catholic is about! These people call out the kids names in class in front of everyone if you are behind with tuition and exclude the children from in-school activities. Completely unacceptable! Nice Knowing you SMT. Thanks for completely turning me off from the Catholic schools.

Posted January 18, 2011

St. martin of tours school is a very awesome school! The teachers and staff are really nice.The students are disciplined and most are very kind.

Posted April 27, 2010

this is the biggest mistake i do in my life i have two kids there and i cant wait to the year end to change them two student honor roll before right know just bad grades they call kids irresponsibles and remind then if they dont bring the homework every they they failed the grade my dauther cry for that and she is so nervous that is a mental damage im tired of taking with the faculty and express my feelings in this place is not GOD present in this school is all about MONEY and making peoples life a real inferrrnnnnnnnnooooooooo save your child dont make the same mistake i did.

Posted August 3, 2009

I have had two children at SMT and have been quite impressed. I grew up attending schools in the suburbs and have advanced degrees from one of the best colleges around, and I can honestly say that the they quality of education and dedication of the teachers is unmatched anywhere in the Philadelphia area.

Posted June 16, 2009

I have something to say to those who complain about 'money-hungry' and 'overcrowded classrooms.' You show your ignorance. When my children attended St. Martin's, there were almost 1,500 to 2,000 students in the school. There were almost 50 in the classroom and they excelled because of the parents seeing to it that the children were prepared for school and did homework. The students at St. Martins won many scholarships then even though they had large classes. What are you naysayers doing to help your children after school? You parents are their primary teachers. As for 'money-hungry,' it is evident that you never had to meet a payroll every week. 'Pay alot [sic]?' Try sending your childto private schools such as Friends, Episcopal or Nazareth and see what 'pay alot [sic] is about?

Posted April 11, 2009

My son attended St. Martin's grades 1-8 and now attends Roman Catholic HS. My daughter has attended since 1st grade and she is now in 6th. This is an excellent school. We love it so much that my granddaughter will start KIndergarten there in the fall. I give it and it's teachers 5 stars. Most especially Mr. Pavonarius, who I feel is a great teacher.

Posted February 11, 2009

I took my kids out of public school to go to SMT and they love it. My daughters are in evey activite there is at that school. One thing I don't like is every min I turn around we are spending money when i know I pay alot already for them just being there! Overall it's a good school.

Posted September 26, 2008

No. I went to this school for 9 years (against my will) and I can truly say that this is a horrible school. From teachers talking about students behind their backs, to fights in the schoolyard, this place is downright terrible. I stayed home as much as possible and never wanted to attend. The students that DID attend make public schools in the area look like Harvard University. Do you, and your child a favor and please stay as far away as you can from this place.

Posted June 11, 2008

St. Martin's is wonderful! The teachers are so kind and understanding! They really try to help every child and they have an amazing learning support program for kids, like mine, who need extra help. I can't say enough!

Posted May 22, 2008

The school is okay. I have a second grader who has been there for one year so far. I agree that they are money hungry. Some of the extra curricular activities require money. I don't think they realize that parents do not have money for every single activity that the children are offered to participate in. The education is good for the most part. I don't have any other reservations outside of them being money hungry.

Posted February 1, 2008

St. Martins is the best!!! Four generations of my family have belonged to this church and school. I have been a Lunch Monitor at the school for the past 2 years and I love it. The kids are great, the teachers are the best and they provide a very loving but strict environment for these kids. I have a child with learning difficulties and she is thriving in the Learning Support Center. SMT is the the greatest and I am so proud to be not only a graduate (1979) but to also be included in the SMT family!!!!

Posted January 10, 2008

Ruined many lives. If you love your child. Do not send them here!

Posted December 19, 2007

this school was okkk. nothing excting.. typical school that's all. the teachers were strict when they needed to be. however, there were times when it was 30-40 kids in one room. How can a teacher teach well like that?
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 27, 2007

great school it has help my children with discipline and learning skills.

Posted August 23, 2007

Their are to many kids in a classroom. I believe it can and will hinder a childs learning ability. Less kids and more time for one on one between students and teacher. To many students does't allow the teacher to know there student weakness or there strong point.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Stephen Frances
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Philadelphia