PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Based on recommendations from friends, we looked at St. Peter's. (I was originally thinking we would go to a Waldorf or Montessori school.) I am beyond impressed. The attention is unbelievable. I saw a difference in my daughter the first week (this is our 2nd year there) and she has grown more confident. Shawn, the headmaster, is always there to greet the children and talk with parents. He has a progressive view of education and makes every attempt to connect with us. The one word that has stuck with me since we began is "family." I truly feel like I am part of a family here as does my daughter.

Handles bullying effectively: Agree

Bullying is not tolerated here. That is evident.

Supports LD students: Agree

I don't know too much about this and can only speak from experience. I have been given different ways to teach my daughter key concepts.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Shawn, and all the faculty, are always approachable. They make decisions with the children's interests at heart.

Develops character: Strongly agree

As I mentioned in my longer review, this is the main reason we chose this school. The curriculum is geared to build confidence and strengthen character and it is evident in the children.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I receive updates from my daughter's teacher if there are areas of concern and have always received quick responses to my emails. Getting a in-person meeting is easy.

Amount of homework: Agree

Unlike most public schools in the city, the school has a healthier approach to homework and does not burden the young children with too much of this. Learning is experienced throughout the day.

We have been at St. Peter's a few years now and have to say we love this school. Earlier in the year, our daughter was having some difficulties and I was so impressed with how the headmaster, administration, and teachers responded. She is now thriving. I know some people are worried about change but my family loves all that is going on. The school is a happy place that is focused on educating children rather than school yard drama. They really know my daughter. Thank you St. Peters!

Once a wonderful place, has taken an unfortunate turn with the new Principal and loss of many amazing teachers.

St. Peter's is a wonderful gem in Philadelphia. I have been impressed by the changes I have seen in the past two years and the administration is serious about making sure that students have the best experience possible and value parent feedback. I have been impressed that initiatives that are mentioned in parent association meetings actually are executed. Rather than just talk about doing things; forward movement is happening on a regular basis. New programs are being added this year (robotics, innovation labs, agriculture etc.) and I don't feel like this takes away from the traditions already in place at the school. My child loves their friends and teachers, and I value the close-knit parent community. I have to say that I knew that this was the perfect academic choice for my child, but was overwhelmed when I discovered that this school feels like a large extended family. I couldn't ask for a better community.

Last modified St. Peter's School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8