Bad
Good

If your child has any learning difficulties, I would strongly advise against this school. We had an extremely negative experience here and promptly transferred elsewhere.

We have moved a number of times, have several children and so have experience with five different elementary schools. What we noticed was unique about Markham was our child really liked his teachers, which made him motivated to do what they asked of him. We found most of the teachers reasonably demanding. Also all the schools in Mt Lebanon are "neighborhood schools" (no busing). This makes the neighborhood feel strong ties to the school. Therefore the support Markham receives from the parents and community is fantastic.

My Grandchildren attend Markham Elementary it has been wonderful to them. Since they have moved to Markham I have seen great improvement in their interest in school and their grades are way up! Good Job Markham!

It would be nice if the teachers here could actually "teach". Not very impressed with what this school has become.

The teachers in this school act like they are in High School still. When I walk into the school, I constantly feel as though the teachers have something to say behind everyones back and are spreading rumors like teenagers. Very uncomfortable here.

It's understandable that the students get bullied so much when a majority of the teaching staff appear to be adult bullies as well; the school is also not very accepting of others. Markham certainly was one of the best schools in the past, probably not anymore.

Don't send your children here if you can avoid it. My child was bullied, with the teachers and staff happily participating. The PTA parents put themselves way above the children, as do most of the adults working there. Most people who live in Mt. Lebanon are too scared to say anything negative about the town, schools, etc. -- it's very "Stepford" -- so don't be surprised that there are so many positive comments here. Markham is very good at teaching children that conformity is the only way to survive.

My child was targeted by a teacher who used to call and harass me about my childs attire, said it was not what she thought "nice enough" there was nothing wrong with it, at all, She also gossiped to all the other parents who started to avoid me and then no one would talk to my child anymore, we had to move away. Apparently if you are not excatly like everyone else here, your be targeted by this teacher...she called me when I was very sick with ammonia and harassed me almost every day. I will never forget it, sadly this teacher got away with gossiping and hurt our family and I found out she has done this to others too, still the damage is done...

IF You have a child with special needs, stay away from this school. My normal child is doing great; the staff is very nice and attentive. However, my other child's teacher is anything but a teacher. She probably doesn't have children of her own, otherwise I cannot qualify this hostile horrible behavior from her. Without getting into to many awful details, just remember if your child is normal, this can be a good school, VERY PRISSY but OK if you can overlook that; but if your child has any special needs of any sort especially Autism related, stay away, as schools in Arizona are far better than this one. I am EXTREMELY disappointed with how they've singled out my poor kid.

Having visited each of the elementary schools in Mt. Lebanon and having talked with parents and teachers from each, I can think of no better venue for children than Markham from the standpoints of education, culture, parental involvement and safety. It presents a caring environment - one where parents can take comfort and pride knowing that their children are being well-educated while being nutured. While not as diverse as more urban schools, it is a true "neighborhood school" that is reflective of the involved residents in its surrounding areas. (Contrary views from a few disgruntled parents may be explained by an understandable tendency to blame the school for problems closer to home.)

Last modified Markham El School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.