Dr David W Kistler El School 5

Posted April 18, 2014
my daughter is proud of her school and we would also like to start off by saying the school offers great programs classes as well as smart hands on teachers who help and work with the children as well as us the parents and my wife and i are proud that are daughter is a part of there learning experience thank you for your inquiry in this matter

Dr David W Kistler El School 4

Posted August 22, 2013
parents complain a lot about the schools their children attend. Its up to the parents getting involved in schools that will make a difference. my daughter went to kistler from kindergarten to 6th grade. She had a few issues, and all were resolved thanks to the teachers help. Bullying is in every school, and kistler will not tolerate it. When my daughter needed help in math, her teacher gave me web sites to go on to help. When her teacher knew she loved Science, he recommended the WEBS program for her over the summer. It was the best experience she ever had over her summers! Lets make our schools a better place, its up to all of us, not just the teachers. I feel the teachers were kind, and did the best they could with the large classes of students.

Posted August 14, 2013
And lets not forget about the silly policys about dying hair of piercing( face/ears). I'm sorry but this is my child, who are you to tell me that if they wanted more then two piercings in their ear, and I allow it,who are you to tell me no? WHat ever happened to expressing ones self? I am not saying go ahead and connect all your piercing together and hang a weight to it. But come on since when is dying your hair and having multipul piercing distracting?

Dr David W Kistler El School 2

Posted May 15, 2013
The principal and staff are friendly and caring. I've only had issues with one teacher in the 6 years my kids have been attending, but she's about to retire. The gifted program is adequate. However, one of my two children has been failing math for years and I've asked every year for help for him and no one has bothered, despite the many resources the school handbook lists. I feel that teachers are reluctant to address black students' poor behavior with the severity they do the white students. In addition, the dress code is ridiculously strict and a hardship to parents.

Dr David W Kistler El School 3

Posted October 29, 2012
FIrst thing I would have to say is more about WIlkes Barre schools in general. The dress code is ridiculous. We shouldn't NOR can afford to have kids use 2 outifts a day one for school and the other for play. Second its absurd for some people on here to complain about a lack of a kindergarten graduating ceremony. As for the Principal he is a no BS person so he doesn't give the "welcoming" feeling but hes the principal and needs to be stern. My kids do very well in this school and have no issues with any of their teachers.

Posted May 23, 2012
This is one of the worst schools I have had my children in yet! This is only my kids second school and it is horrible! If you have a child with adhd dont send your child here! This school has been nothing but problems for my son! The vice principal said some nasty things about my son. They also do not have a kindergarten graduation ceremony or even give them a diploma! I am taking my children out of this school next year!

Dr David W Kistler El School 2

Posted May 05, 2011
I have to agree Principal does not give that welcoming feeling. Vice principal is very friendly. My child does very well and her teacher is excellant but parents have ZERO involvement ( rumored to be principal choice) PTO is basically 2 people and do not seem happy doing it. Very negative energy in school.

Dr David W Kistler El School 4

Posted May 04, 2011
My son is now a 5th Grader at Kistler and I'm very happy with the education he is receiving. The teachers are all very nice and genuinely concerned for the students. Contrary to the October 12, 2010 review, the teachers, TA's and office staff have always been courteous and helpful. My wife, and I, always feel welcome when we stop in for a parent/teacher meeting. Apparently, the parents are the ones who drop the ball when it comes to studying, homework and projects. My son has told me that on many occasions, he is one of the few who has turned in a homework assignment, take home test or project. You can't complain about the school when the kids don't do anything at home. The things they are exposed to every day need to be reinforced and studied at home so they actually LEARN the material. It's pretty sad if you think it's all up to the teacher to teach your children.

Posted October 12, 2010
As a parent of a special needs student enrolled in Solomon Plains and a student in Kistler. Solomon wins HANDS DOWN, everyone I have ever had to speak to in Kistler speaks down to you like you are a criminal. As a parent you are NOT welcomed in the school. My kindergarten student has shared some really disturbing policies of the school. All in all this school really is not up to par with the exception of a very FEW great teachers including the music teacher and a few 1st and 2nd grade teachers the rest of the school is terrible.

Dr David W Kistler El School 5

Posted April 26, 2010

Dr David W Kistler El School
301 Old River Rd, Wilkes Barre, PA  18702
Last modified Dr David W Kistler El School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dr David W Kistler El School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top