PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers I've met this year are phenomenal. Not only do they know how to reach and engage kids, but they also know how to engage parents. It's the whole philosophy of the school -which then hires teachers who are excellent. Each time we meet a new teacher at the school, we are impressed.

Amount of homework: Disagree

So far we are facing more homework that we had in past years --as we transferred from a public school. We believe it is about 3-4X as much as the previous school year. it's a bit challenging at times but we hope that the work feels more meaningful (at home).

Develops character: Strongly agree

This school is very honest, fair and non-judgmental toward all students. Differences are embraced here vs. other places where differences are defined as lowering test scores for the school.

This school is new for us and we could not be more pleased, despite the cost and change in our commute. Our child's previous school was a short walk up the street. The teachers are very smart, aware, intone with subtleties, interested in expanding and not simply teaching in a rote manner. We are new and are finding it so helpful that it is a "give and take" between parents and teachers, with teachers being very interested in changing what they do to help the child. Going outside for daily play and letting kids be kids, seems so common-sense, but this was not our experience in our previous years in the local public elementary school where kids were not allowed to even run during recess. It's an A+.

My math teacher ERIC KRAVITZ in the 8th grade is so awesome, sad he won't teach classes next year, and he has been here for 15 years. HE IS THE ABSOLUTE COOLEST

This is an excellent school. Students are kept engaged throughout the day with various hands on learning experiences. The focus of education is on the process, with the children getting a deep understanding of the material. If you a looking for a private school for a bright kid who is bored with mindless and unneccesary paper work (work sheets), this is the place.

Definitely not worth the cost! Enroll your child in a very good public school like I did, and sign him/her up in all kinds of extra curricular activities. I went for a school visit and noticed that my child was receiving the same education, if not better. My daughter walked out with a fruit loop necklace. (That's what they were doing in the first grade :/ ) It made me appreciate my child's 1st grade teacher. Save yourself thousands of dollars and do the research for a good public school. ;)

Our son is rounding out his 4th year at the Gordon School and he tells me that he wants to continue there until 8th grade. The head of school is so in tune with the students that he was aware my son was going by a nickname less than a week into the school year. The teaching staff is top notch and the supportive staff as well. The academics are appropriately challenging in a small class (14 kids) setting. The library and staff is amazing. The campus is well kept and I love that the kids go outside for recess twice a day barring horrendous weather. I drive nearly 2 hours round trip daily to take my son to Gordon and would highly recommend it.

Our child has been at Gordon for her entire experience at school (from K). We have had a very good experience with Gordon. The school is well organized and ordered. Our daughter has improved a great deal in both her personal outlook and academic ability. Classes are 13-14 and there are many many activities in which to be involved. I would highly recommend this school.

Horrible, horrible, horrible treatment of my daughter who is only in kindergarten to the point of her becoming dispondent. When she was found to have problems with the teacher, she was dismissed. When my husband and I tried to intervene by suggesting that her class be changed or allowing us to observe the class from the hall, we were told no. For parents paying full tuition, I thought that I was sending my daughter to a school that had the best interest of my child at heart. I know now that is was all about the all mighty dollar. I have decided to change schools for her so that she will get the start in life that she deserves. As for racial diversity, they do not know the definition of the word diversity--another big problem for the school.

Last modified The Gordon School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8