Johnston, RI

Posted December 16, 2013
I was a student at Johnston High School and had nothing but horrible experiences while I attended. A very small percentage of the teachers actually care about teaching. The schools administration is a joke as well. I was on an IEP and they did literally everything they could to stop me from being successful there. It was a constant battle to get the little I had. I even filed multiple formal complaints with Department of Ed., all which the school was found to be out of compliance. Even after that they still wouldn't help to the point where I was so far behind and couldn't keep fighting with them that I decided to drop out of school and get my G.E.D teachers are rude and disrespectful and so was the administration. There was a terrible lack of communication and even had teachers threatening vice principals. School is more like a prison with little authority. Not to mention it is rundown and grotesque inside. I wouldn't recommend this school to anybody. Classes are below average and are a joke. Send your child anywhere but here if you want them to be successful and have a decent high school experience.

Johnston Senior High School 2

Posted November 06, 2012
As a alumna of JHS I can tell you that I was the only person to be accepted into a tier one university and most of the kids in the top 10 are at URI and RIC. There is a general lack of authority between administrators and teachers. The school was such a mess 10 years ago that teachers just feel the will to do as they please and most are very unprofessional. There is a MINORITY of qualified teachers at this school and it is sad they have to work here because they deserve much more respect. I made what I could from this school, and as the saying goes, it is what you make of it. However, the school has a lack of rigor and autonomy in their curriculum and extra curricular activities. Students are limited as to what they can do and there is a general lack of knowledge in regards to colleges and universities. A big part falls on the parents in the community for not pushing the district to do more to reform the school. Test scores, SATs and AP scores are below average. This school needs a plethora of educational reform in order to thrive and subsist for the educational demands in the 21st century.

Posted March 01, 2012
This school is terrible!!! DO NOT send your child here. I left my sophomore year because I just couldn't take it anymore! Constantly getting harassed by the students, the teachers/principals DO NOT take that seriously when they really should. Seeing as how bullying is now illegal in Rhode Island. But there are only 3 teachers that I found who really wanted to work with me, (I have an IEP), the other teachers did NOTHING to help me. I also have ADHD. The academics are a joke. A friend of mine from another state (better rated school) saw my work once & laughed at how easy it was, while I was struggling to even start it. It's ridiculous. Do NOT send your child here. They will suffer.

Johnston Senior High School 3

Posted August 04, 2010
I went to Johnston High School and am attending a college with a 30% acceptance rate. The honors and dual enrollment classes are the only classes you should let your kid take. Do NOT let them take "college preparatory" (CP) classes at this school. They are a joke. Most of the teachers here are good/great teachers. The student will enjoy a great sense of community as long as they try their best to be a contributing member of it. When it comes to academics, this school is what one makes of it. The honors and EEP classes are actually mere college preparatory classes. They are not advanced. Again, anything below these levels of instruction is a complete joke of a class. TRUST ME. The evidence for this point is the fact that the top 10 students of the last graduating class couldn't score over 1800 on the SAT.

Johnston Senior High School 5

Posted February 24, 2010
Great teachers, wonderful sense of community. My son is in his first year at a very prestigious college. The high school prepared him extremely well. He said in many ways he finds college easier than high school. My daughter is in 10th grade and I can see the school doing wonders for her also. Save your money on private schools-- students get just as good an education here & they will be able to go to the college of their choice with a great experience behind them. I also love the sense of security I feel knowing that the students are in good hands with a very competant & caring staff.

Johnston Senior High School 5

Posted April 27, 2009
I am an alumna and I also had nothing but great experiences at JHS. I had both college-prep classes as well as honors, and regardless, I always had teachers who were dedicated and motivated to helping me learn. I participated in a slew of extracurricular activities, and looked forward to homecoming and the various activities that were offered year round. I was accepted to the university of my choice, am in grad. school and have a rewarding job thanks to the dedicated teachers at JHS! As far as blame being put on teachers regarding student's not learning what they should be: if a child does not want to be at school, and does not want to learn-they're not going to learn. The majority of that blame cannot be attributed to the teachers. Instead of placing the blame on others-intiative should be taken in the home to hold the kids accountable.

Johnston Senior High School 0

Posted January 11, 2009
I am an alumni of Johnston High School and have had nothing but great experiences. My son recently graduated from Johnston and the teachers did nothing but make sure my son graduated because of his disability with learning. Everyone has their own opinion on Johnston High School and I feel as though people degrade it for no reason!

Posted January 07, 2009
Horrid school, most classes are below age level. Everything is old and falling appart, it is disgusting.

Johnston Senior High School 2

Posted December 01, 2008

Johnston Senior High School 4

Posted October 16, 2008
Johnston is a great high school that is too often under-rated. The courses offered in the honors program are top-notch. Many students graduate with numerous college credits. Higher ranking students have gotten accepted to the best colleges in the country. The sense of community and pride at this school is also very impressive.

Johnston Senior High School
345 Cherry Hill Rd, Johnston, RI  02919
(401) 233-1920
Last modified Johnston Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Johnston Senior High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top