William E. Tolman High School

Public | 9-12

Posted December 11, 2012

As a student from Tolman High School, I can say from experience that if it wasn't for attending this high school I wouldn't be who I am today. Because of Tolman, I got to network and meet leaders in Rhode Island Criminal Justice System. Tolman gave me an internship in which I could of never imagined would make an ever lasting connection. Now I am in my Junior year of College studying law and proceeding to go to Law School after I graduate. Tolman is a very diverse school, and because of that I learned to communicate and work with other people of different races. Of course like many know, Tolman does have bad apples and people who don't care about their education. However, in my years at Tolman, every teacher motivated me and pushed me to my limits. The portfolio gave me a way to display my hardwork but also it prepared me for the workforce. I know that some students that graduated in 2010 with me can say the same. I have been asked to go back to Tolman and speak to the students about my experience and what doors it opened up for me. If any one does have any questions, email me. I'll tell you the truth.

Posted February 25, 2010

Tolman High School is just an average school. Some say they have their best years of their live at highschool, but I don't see how teens can do this at Tolman. The teachers aren't as good as they could be and the students don't really want to learn. Plus, Tolman is undergoing both a schedule change and a Portfolio, which completely kills the consept of highschool. Tolman is nothing like it used to be.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 13, 2009

tolman high has its ups and its downs. i have a bittersweet feeling about it... where it has its brilliant students and wonderful teachers, it also has deadbeats and teachers who could care less. but isnt that every school??? you hear such bad stories about tolman, but attleborro high or even st. raphaels have stories just as bad. there is much to love about tolman and many great opportunities to seize. stop complaining until you experience it yourself.

Posted February 5, 2009

William E. Tolman is a fantastic school for both teachers and students. I am currently in the top of my class and I manage to particpate in a variety of extra curricular activities as well as an assortment of high and moderately weighted classes. I find it hard to beleive that at any other public high school in RI you will find such wonderful and dedicated coaches and teachers. We have an active student body and a faculty that is willing to go over the moon for their students. We have some of the best teachers in RI on the payroll here at THS. We have Ivy League educated teachers with their PhDs in their feilds who live to teach adolescents. From track and feild to robotics & Key Club THS also offers great after school activities and tutoring programs. I am very proud of my school.

Posted May 17, 2008

This is a good school. I don't know everyone else is talking about that it is not. Maybe if we the parents get more involved in the schools, it won't be so bad. I have 1 child who graduated last year and I have another one graduating this year. I like how the school split the year up into trimesters. The school is tryingt its best so that students can graduate and earn more credits during the year. This year it is new that seniors class of 2008 and beyond has to present a portfolio to a board of advisors. I Tthink that this is a great preparation for the future. Why? Because after kids greaduate from college , they may need to gather together a portfolio to a 'real job' or career sort of speak. This just helps them build on the public speaking communication skills that they need to

Posted November 1, 2007

Don't let bad press about the school fool you. It has a plethora of extra curricular activities, such as student council, key club, class boards, drama club, dance club, math league, robotics, and many more in addition to sports. Most of the teachers are very competant, and provide fascinating and captivating lessons. The only short comings I can think of are the Rhode Island Department of Education mandated graduation requirement, such as portfolios. Also, the daily, eight minute, advisory does not provide much help to students at all. Other than that, it is a really great school.

Posted October 25, 2007

I am currently attending Tolman High school and I think the teachers, staff, and guidence all fail to provide the students with the maretials, and education that we need. And most deffinitly the Saftey of ourselfs. Their is always some sort of fight at Tolman High and if we were busy being educaited where would we have time to fight? I would never refer anyone to William E Tolman Senior High School.

Posted May 4, 2007

This school is really put down more then it ever should. The teachers are amazing, the school has really been upgraded with everything. There are a variety of new elective classes and it really makes the students want to go to class and participate. The sports are what really make the school a school. And I dont regret ever coming to this school.

Posted March 29, 2007

on a personal note i would not send any child to this school my children attended tolman not a good experience

Posted December 14, 2006

Great school, my son loves it there. I wouldn't send him anywhere else. The school has somewhat of a bad reputation. But the allegations against the school are in the most part false. Don't get me wrong there are a few bad apples, who can be found there. These bad apples are both teachers and students, but for the most part its hard to find a genuinely bad person. But because of the few bad ones the whole school gets labeled as bad. It is pretty unfair in my opinion.

Posted August 8, 2006

There some good kids who want to succeed but they deserve much better. There are many kids who are out of control and don't care. We need more parent support. Most of the teachers try to do a good job with little support or good supplies. Send your kid to a private school if you can.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 26, 2006

I attended THS from 99'-03'. Many of the teachers there are very intelligent, helpful, and among the best one can find in both private and public schools. Year after year Tolman students pass the AP Calc exam with better rates than many other schools in the state. The difference is with Tolman is that there are many un-motivated and poor mannered students that bring down the reputation. If your child is motivated, he or she will obtain an invaluable high school education. In my graduating year, classmates went on to attend URI, BU, BC, Brown, WPI, Quinnipiac, and many more great schools.

Posted March 4, 2006

I am a recent graduate of Tolman High School and am now attending Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. I believe that Pawtucket in general receives a bad name. Most teachers are there for the students and will do in some cases anything to help the student out. I feel that it is the parental involvement and lack of a 'good' principal that are the main components of problems. The other problem which is true for almost all of Pawtucket's schools are that they are old and are in need of some major fixes/upgrades.

Posted August 9, 2005

I have 2 children who have graduated from Tolman and I currently have three children attending Tolman. I think the Guidance Counselors are wonderful as far as they are always there to help whenever I call or go to the school for any reason reguarding my children and their education. However, I feel the rest of the faculty leaves much to be desired. Unfortunately, most especially the teachers! Some teachers are 'top notch' but most of the teachers ARE NOT AVAILABLE for extra help after school and don't seem to want to bother with the children past a certain time of day. I also feel the school system, in general needs to have more discipline over the children. The PTA is too political as well.

Posted January 9, 2005

I am currently attending Tolman High school and am shocked at the reviews. We have one of the best science and math programs in the state. I recieved a perfect score on my math PSAT's. this is something to which I credit the math department. In addition the problem with students failing is largly due to lack of student will to succeed. there is not a teacher in the school who will not tutor after school. The school also offers championship quality sports and a wide variety of extracurriculars. The biggest problem with this school is the lack of parental involement. I am at every parents night volunteering and also attend School Improvement Team meetings, perhapse those are the venues in which you should complain. I choose to go to tolman despite receiving a full scholarship to Hendriken and am yet to regret my decision.

Posted September 15, 2004

I attended and graduated from Tolman just a few years ago. Afterwhich, I attended one of the top engineering schools in the country. I now have a great job with a strong engineering firm. Tolman offers you what you want. If you want after hours activities, they have them. And every student has every opportunity to obtain a good education. If the student chooses to not take advantage of that, what can be done? I would rather they cater to the students who want the education, then fight to keep the ones who don't appreciate it. School is only in session for 30 hours each week. What the child does w/ the rest is the responsibility of the parent. Perhaps if they made sure their kids were in school during the 180 day school term, they wouldn't have to worry about summer school.

Posted September 15, 2004

When I went to that school it was a good one also as far as summer school why blame the school or teacher look at the kids and parents for some falt.

Posted May 17, 2004

It is a same that we have to send our children to this school. The building is falling apart, the teachers and administrators are all failing to help these kids learn, and the kids all know it! If you can, send your kid to private school or move to a better state. Don't waste your tax money here!

Posted August 22, 2003

I am very dissapointed in Tolman High School. I have never seen so many children fail the School Year. My daughter went to summer school and I was shocked to see the amount of kids there, it was like a regular day at school. There is no accountability, it has become accepted and I feel there is no leadership to help improve the school. The Mayor of Pawtucket needs to take a good look at the schools in Cumberland and Central Falls (Yes Central Falls believe it or not)they continue to improve their schools. Pawtucket is at a standstill. Kids are at the bottom of the list!

Posted June 12, 2003

The Pawtucket School District offers your child a substandard education. Is near bottom in test scores statewide. If you have a choice do not enroll your child in this district.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2014.

233 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2014.

234 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 30% in 2013.

219 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 50% in 2014.

233 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2013-2014 Rhode Island used the New England Common Assessment Program (NECAP) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in reading and math, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. GreatSchools ratings currently reflect 2013 test data; the ratings will be updated when the latest NECAP science data is made public and available in the summer of 2014. The NECAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Rhode Island. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Source: Rhode Island Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

Students without disabilities28%
Proficient in English25%
Non-migrant24%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Rhode Island Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Rhode Island Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 61%N/A43%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Note: Data provided by school administrators and community.
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Sports

Boys sports
  • Basketball
Note: Data provided by school administrators and community.
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

150 Exchange St