No rating

Mount St Charles Academy

Private | 7-12 | 874 students

Living in Woonsocket

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $120,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Posted August 26, 2014

Both of our children graduated from Mount within the last 3 years. We chose Mount because there were too many violent and disruptive events in the public middle school. Mount prides itself on what it claims to offer, but they seem to be stale and fixed in the old ways of education. The guidance department tried to talk our children into taking more AP and upper level academic classes to prepare for college. They discouraged arts electives by giving us misinformation about what the colleges were looking for. One of my sons could not wait to graduate. Mount says it is a family, but that is only if you are a third generation Mount Family. They think they are caring and everyone there is happy, but couldn't seem to care if we transferred our son out. My kids fell through the cracks while the school was too busy trying to advertize "MOUNT PRIDE" to notice. With the higher tuition and declining enrollment, they should NOT be acting like this. Some of the top administrators don't even look up and greet parents who volunteer there regularly. Change needs to be made and Mount doesn't seem to know where to begin. Begin by doing what you advertize.

Posted May 29, 2013

The teachers really care about the students. Great sports for the kids. The students help each other the moral support is huge there.

Posted December 5, 2012

The best kept secret in education for Southern New England. This school is small enough that the student is known, valued and treasured by the faculty, yet they compete in division one athletics in many sports and have one of, if not the best, fine arts departments in the state. My child has been there since grade 7. She is a Junior now. Tuition in 2013 will be $12,000 for high school and less for Junior High. Though this is not cheap, it is thousands less than La Sale and other Catholic Schools in the state. And Mount offers a more intimate class room than La Sale and Hendricken. The kids love the school and the teachers are second to none. There are more clubs in this school than you would imagine for the number of students. I've notice that if there is an interest from a handful of students, some wonderful faculty member is willing to moderate it! Recently added clubs I've seen added are, the Aneme club, Fitness Club, Ping Pong, Gaming Club (computer games), Flag Football, Chess, and History Round Table. All of these clubs were created because the kids went to teachers and asked, "can we have a club?" It speaks volumes to the commitment of the faculty! GO MOUNT!!!

Posted December 5, 2012

I've been teaching here for 27 years. The kids here are the best you will find anywhere. There is a sense of community that I never had when I was in high school. Kids really, truly get along and the rate of success of these fine young men and women is exceptional. Every year I am amazed at the scholarships they receive from colleges! Coming from a college prep. program with so many extracurricular activities and a caring dedicated faculty - they are set up for success from the beginning. Students who "want it" get the help they need and more. From what I have seen, kids grow with confidence and ultimately over achieve. It is the reason I have stayed here so long without burning out. I am sending my own child here now, and could not be happier or prouder with my own student's progress.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 5, 2012

Can't believe this place! Faculty is caring and make EVERY STUDENT feel special. The school is filled with students you would want your child associating with! There are so many clubs and activities available, your child will not have a problem finding something that interests them. My child comes home excited to tell me how great this school is just about every day!!! It is far more than a school - that's what makes it worth every penny. The academics are second to none, but that is only one part of the value of Mount St. Charles. Commitment to these young men and women from the teachers, service opportunities, and a total experience that includes mind, body and spirit make this an education for the whole person! It's the best choice I have ever made to send my child here! Thank you MOUNT!!!

Posted November 11, 2012

I graduated from Mount, and I really do miss it. It prepared me very well for college. I am so glad I chose to go to Mount instead of public school. I attended public school before I went to Mount, and I can honestly say that Mount lives up to its mission. I felt like I was part of the Mount "family," as cliche as that sounds. The teachers really care about their students and are willing to help if the student puts the extra effort in. I took challenging classes, but there are also classes that are not as challenging. These classes still teach you invaluable skills that can be used inside and outside of the classroom. Not only are the academics great, but the emphasis on service to the community and people around you is another great teaching at Mount. This shaped me into a compassionate person. I am always thinking of ways I can reach out to the community and other people now. One day I hope to send my children to Mount to experience the outstanding education and experience that I had.

Posted August 21, 2012

I have had two sons graduate from Mount. They both have been very successful in college. I credit the quality education my children received with much of that success!

Posted August 20, 2012

I have attended Mount Saint Charles for a certain number of years and have found it satisfactory yet also in many ways unfair. It is not as good a school as most people would think and the guidance counselor in Mount Saint Charles only makes it worse. Many of the people there are nice but there are also some real jerks.

Posted March 5, 2010

Two of my sons graduated from Mount, and my youngest is there now. I have found it to be an absolutely incredible school. Extra help is always there when needed, extra-curriculars are top notch, and all teachers go above and beyond to really make the experience as good as it could possibly be.

Posted January 17, 2009

I am proud that my daughter and son both graduated from Mount. I felt they received a great education and were prepared very well for college. My daughter got into several ivies and my son went to a very selective college. The honors courses were very challenging and the school continues to add AP Courses. I thought the teachers really cared about the students and made an effort to know them personally and encouraged them to make the most of their abilities. In addition to the academics, there were many extracurricular activities available to choose from including all types of sports (especially hockey) to Drama club and various bands, even at the junior high level. I also was impressed by the students' participation and commitment to community service. My children learned the importance of helping and caring for others less fortunate. Our whole family has great Mountie memories.

Posted January 2, 2009

this school is amazing i love it great hockey team

Posted October 18, 2008

Absolutely amazing school...my child loves it. He has never had any problem getting extra help, and has been shocked by the huge number of extra-curricular activities that he's had offered to him.

Posted February 25, 2008

I am a freshman and love it. I do wish that there was more help for students on Acedemic Probation though.

Posted February 10, 2008

this skool is boring, it smells like panda crap

Posted October 17, 2007

No, I did not have a good tenure at Mount but I can attest that hockey players did not receive unfair treatment. I played 4 years of mount hockey and now attend a Div. 1 Hockey school.. I failed off the team twice and received no help to get back on. The only thing i credit Mount to was opening my eyes to the world instead of letting it crash on me in the future.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 10, 2007

I have been employed at Mount for over 32 years. It is a happy and healthy place for kids to grow up. Our academics are challenging, and our teachers are both professional and caring. For most of us who work here, it is not just a job but a ministry.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 27, 2006

Our family has two sons who currently attend Mount Saint Charles Academy. Both boys say that transferring to Mount was 'the best decision they have ever made'. We have found the teachers to be dedicated and caring. Our experience has been overwhelmingly positive in all aspects academics, athletics and music.

Posted April 19, 2005

I am a parent of one Mount graduate and one current sophomore and have been very pleased with the education that my children received. My daughter was accepted to several Ivy league schools and other highly selective shools and felt that Mount prepared her very well for college. And the school is constantly looking to improve its curriculum, and adding many AP courses over the last few years. The teachers are super. They not only care about the academics of the students, but also strive to know the students personally. The schools offers extensive extracurricular activities, including many sports at the junior high and high school level, various clubs, many music programs and community service opportunities -- all of which helps to develop well rounded and caring students. I will always be appreciative and proud of having been a part of the Mountie community.

Posted January 12, 2005

It's a great school, very family oriented. Mount has great academics. I especially love their girls and boys hockey program.(I play on the girls varsity hockey team.) I am a student who goes here, I'm in 9th grade and I love it! Thanks so much, you are a wonderful school.

Posted October 12, 2004

I am a graduate of Mount and as a white female I encountered nothing but racism, sexism, and stifling of creativity and innovation. I was a straight A student but I don't accredit any of my success to Mount. Just my own hard work. They discouraged me from applying to Ivy league schools (even tho I got accepted to 2), and they almost altered my applications without consent. Hockey players were given preferential treatment. It did not prepare me in any way for college as it states. Their elective choices were very poor.
—Submitted by a former student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Providence

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

800 Logee Street