Charleston, SC

Porter-Gaud School 1

Posted April 26, 2015
I read the reviews and I must disagree with most of the comments, "The teachers at this school go above and beyond for every student I know. They meet them where they are and work really hard to get them to excel." We have had a less than satisfactory experience. My daughter was in the school last year and was in the Honors Spanish. I talked with the teacher several times personally and asked if she could help my daughter 10 minutes after school 3 times within a 5 week period- just 30 minutes. She said, she "could not do that." This is NOT a school where teachers give personal attention. If a kid starts to fall behind, they continue to fall behind. Oh, wait, they have a tutoring service where you can PAY additional money (beyond their incredible tuition) to be tutored by students from a College nearby- not any classroom teachers. My daughter left stressed to the max (enough to be treated by a psychologist) and we are now happy where we are- across town. This is a VERY unsatisfactory educational program.

Porter-Gaud School 1

Posted April 19, 2015
My daughter went to this school and we pulled her out. The Honors Spanish teacher never had time to work with her for even 10 minutes after school- once a week. She also took Honors History whereby she had at least- and I am not overestimating-5 hours of homework for this class only. The stress was too much and we pulled her out. There too much "in breeding" --- too many teachers related to teachers/administrators. They have their kids going to the school, etc. Administrators do nothing and for the tuition, one would think that extra help would be an automatic. They do have a tutoring avenue- NOT the classroom teachers, but students from the local college. The best way to determine a good high school is the colleges they go to. These kids mostly go to Clemson, College of Charleston and not HIGH quality schools. My daughter was admitted to Yale- without all of the stress of this school. Go figure.
10 people found this helpful

Posted March 30, 2013
3 people found this helpful

Porter-Gaud School 0

Posted April 15, 2010
Very good experience for my sons, one has graduated college and was well prepared, current son could not be happier, challenging curriculum, very talented faculty

Posted October 28, 2009

Posted October 02, 2009
My daughter transitioned into Porter Gaud in the seventh grade. We had the option of going to neighboring Ashley Hall (all girls) or Porter Gaud and I truly believe we made the right choice. We have yet to experience the elitism or cliques. Academically this is a superior school, the fine arts are great compared to others in the area and the school is competitive in the sporting arena. I totally forgot to mention that the student life and clubs are more than my oldest had in school. Although it is pricey, we wouldn't send her anywhere else. She loves this school!!!!

Porter-Gaud School 4

Posted January 12, 2009
Aside from its high society social cliques and less than honorable administration, Porter-Gaud really does offer a wonderful education, especially if your child follows the AP track in high school. The teachers are absolutely fabulous. I owe so much of my wonderful education to them, and will always admire and respect them for the knowledge and humility they have endowed me with. But I have to disagree on the point of Fine Arts. The quality of musical and dramatic education is very low. In fact, the recent expansion of the programs is nothing but a sham. Most of the classes consist of students watching movies. If your child is really interested in fine arts education I would suggest sending them elsewhere. The Governor's School has a wonderful program, but PG is far superior academically.

Posted January 12, 2008

Posted July 09, 2007
I couldn't agree more. Both of my children (one boy, one girl) have attended since first grade.Both will be in high school this fall. They love Porter-Gaud and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. The fine arts/music programs have greatly expanded in recent years. I wish the public schools had been able to offer a better quality education but they lack the support they need here in South Carolina. We feel their school is a great investment in their future.

Posted July 19, 2004
- a former student
I attended Porter Gaud grades 1-12. Your child will succeed if he or she attends this school. It is expensive, but it will thrust your child far ahead in life. College was a breeze in comparison to studying at Porter Gaud- I was extremely well prepared for college level studies. Porter has also grown and expanded greatly since my years there. The facilities have improved drastically. (Porter Gaud is also a historic school in Charleston. Its roots go back to the civil war!) The teachers were all excellent. I still have great memories of them and what they taught. Many of them still teach there and taught there before my time. Your child will receive a well-rounded, highly disciplined education from teachers who really care and are passionate about what they teach. There were never any physical fights at this school. You really can't ask for more in 1-12 education.

Porter-Gaud School