Charleston, SC
Students enrolled: 1,242

Posted August 17, 2014
Daniel Island School is super impressive. We moved here a year ago from the northeast and was concerned about attending a public school. The staff is lovely. The school is beautiful and clean. I cannot say enough about this educational gem for my children. A community school that continues to strive for higher education.

Posted April 24, 2014
One of my children has attended here 5th-7th grade and my other child has gone here for Kindergarten -1st. I was very concerned about reading the bullying reviews but this school has been completely anti-bully since we arrived. They address it, have speakers, and prevention and it has never been a problem. The teachers are great at communicating, parents are involved, there is ample opportunity to be involved. The AR program is the only disappointment as it became non-existent this year. But they have other reading incentives and a Beta Club (my childs group has not done anything special for Beta yet though) Love the front office staff and teachers!

Daniel Island School 1

Posted April 03, 2014
This school is terrible the 8th grade teacher team is terrible they got my son on trouble many times when he was the victim. And the teachers acted like it wasn't there fault but it was all there fault!!! It's terrible the person who bulled my son got away free but my son got in trouble when he acted in self defense against the kid who was hurting him. Guess they don't know about the stand your ground law. This school sucks!!!

Posted November 17, 2013
My son has been going to D. I. school since he was in the 3rd grade. He is now in the 6th grade and seems really content. We were worried about all the bullying issues we were hearing about and offered to send him to a local private school, especially while in middle school. He declined...He swears he has never experienced any bullying or witnessed any bullying towards anyone else. I was a little concerned, because he is usually pretty quiet and to himself & doesn't follow the "norm". I think that the school has really started to turn the corner in a positive manner with the social aspect. The teachers seem to really care and are there for their students. Really can't complain!

Daniel Island School 2

Posted April 08, 2013
Mrs. French is a bully! This school is not safe for younger children. If your children has special needs do not send them to Daniel Island School. I do not understand how anyone could send their child to this overcrowded school!

Posted October 29, 2012
My child is in second grade at Daniel Island School She has an excellent teacher and we are very happy with her. She is very caring, yet has high expectations for her students. I really appreciate her effort to teach higher level thinking skills and creativity. My only concern is the size of the class ..26 students are too many for a 2nd grade class. This number puts a real strain on our teachers and hampers what they can do for our children.

Posted September 26, 2012
The administration at DIS is extremely supportive of students and faculty. They value positive relationships and go out of their way to ensure the safety and best interest of each member of the school community. The teachers are dedicated to challenging students for high achievement and personal values. Rachel's Challenge has been a wonderful program implemented at DIS to encourage high moral standards and respect toward others. The guidance department is doing a great job of advocating for a safe, friendly learning environment for our students. I am honored to be a part of this learning community!

Posted July 18, 2012
We moved to the area last summer from out of state. The staff made the transition process smooth and pleasant (we even got a lengthy personal tour around the school!) Our 2nd grader felt prepared for his first day at the new school thanks to all the staff. Our son's teacher made him comfortable and was very communicative to us about how he was settling in. The school year was good--involved parents, multiple 'Parent University' opportunities presented by the Vice-Principal (with support of the new principal), and a great neighborhood feel to the school are most notable. The new principal (enthusiastic and no-nonsense) made some changes to procedural things--which seemed good to me (but parents who were used the old way of doing things might not like the changes...) The school is big (K-8) but very focused on making a good environment for the kids, in particular undertaking some big anti-bullying efforts (winning some awards for this). I am pleased with the overall quality of the facilities and teaching staff. Of course, I wish there was more money for foreign languages, more computer time, etc. but this is a county/state issue not specific to our school.

Posted July 07, 2012
Thank you for this websight. I am happy to receive positive news about DIS. I no longer have children in the school, but while we were there I recognized that there were some very dedicated teachers. I am happy that they now have the leadership that they and the children deserve. Good leadership is the key to unlocking all of that potential.

Posted July 06, 2012
DIS is a fantastic school. We now have an amazing team of administrators. Thank you Mrs. French for your leadership--you lead with compassion, a high level of professional competency, and a truly student-centered approach. Daniel Island School is starting to realize its potential.

Daniel Island School
2365 Daniel Island Dr, Charleston, SC  29492
Last modified Daniel Island School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Daniel Island School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top