Charleston, SC
Students enrolled: 1,242

Posted March 15, 2015
Part2: Another troubling issue would be; the band and strings program. I experienced the lack of instructions, and a feeling of hatred towards my instrument. As a result of the lack of instruction, the number of students participating in the band went from about 40, to 7. 100% of that problem being the instructor. He tries to manipulate kids into staying in his band for the next year, as most implore parents to drop out. He also advocates you to sell rotten fruit as a "fundraising" to go on field trips to places like Disney Land and Carrowinds, which never once took place. After taking private lessons on my instrument, i realized there is so much more to music than dreaded practicing and under instruction. The guy can't even explain how to play basic rhythms, let alone provide the support and positive reinforcement to become a well established musician. Daniel Island school is a prime example of why kids like myself have to come up with reasons to wake up in the morning just to be treated like 1st graders under the instruction of uneducated, insolent "teachers"

Posted March 02, 2015
I have been a student at Daniel Island School since about second grade and now I am in eighth grade. Despite how hard as they try, and how peaceful it seems, almost everyone gets bullied someway or another. And we do have the guidance consoler to go to, but all she does is bring more people then it need to be in it. Then, you get into trouble for telling. Also, the Spanish class absolutely sucks. And not because its hard, but because a person that grew up in a Hispanic speaking home said herself that the class was teaching the wrong stuff. Finally, the food in unbearable in the cafeteria. I mean I once found a rubber band & hair in my mashed potatoes. And, whenever they serve some kind of melted cheese, they literally have to beat the spoon to get it on the plate. I mean, melted cheese is sticky, but not that sticky. Bottom line, it might look like a pretty school on the outside but on the inside is something that you would consider homeschooling as an option before that. Thank you for the time and I hope I have saved your child from what I've endured.

Posted January 28, 2015
Our daughter has went there since 2nd grade and now she's in 7th grade. We withdrew her today due to bullying on and off the whole time she's been going there. I would report it and my daughter sent a message in the bully box and still no change. We are wanting our daughter to get the best education she can. If you don't fit in with the DI crowd, this is not the school for you or your kids.

Posted August 17, 2014
Daniel Island School is super impressive. We moved here a year ago from the northeast and was concerned about attending a public school. The staff is lovely. The school is beautiful and clean. I cannot say enough about this educational gem for my children. A community school that continues to strive for higher education.

Posted April 24, 2014
One of my children has attended here 5th-7th grade and my other child has gone here for Kindergarten -1st. I was very concerned about reading the bullying reviews but this school has been completely anti-bully since we arrived. They address it, have speakers, and prevention and it has never been a problem. The teachers are great at communicating, parents are involved, there is ample opportunity to be involved. The AR program is the only disappointment as it became non-existent this year. But they have other reading incentives and a Beta Club (my childs group has not done anything special for Beta yet though) Love the front office staff and teachers!

Posted April 03, 2014
This school is terrible the 8th grade teacher team is terrible they got my son on trouble many times when he was the victim. And the teachers acted like it wasn't there fault but it was all there fault!!! It's terrible the person who bulled my son got away free but my son got in trouble when he acted in self defense against the kid who was hurting him. Guess they don't know about the stand your ground law. This school sucks!!!
3 people found this helpful

Posted November 17, 2013
My son has been going to D. I. school since he was in the 3rd grade. He is now in the 6th grade and seems really content. We were worried about all the bullying issues we were hearing about and offered to send him to a local private school, especially while in middle school. He declined...He swears he has never experienced any bullying or witnessed any bullying towards anyone else. I was a little concerned, because he is usually pretty quiet and to himself & doesn't follow the "norm". I think that the school has really started to turn the corner in a positive manner with the social aspect. The teachers seem to really care and are there for their students. Really can't complain!

Daniel Island School 2

Posted April 08, 2013
Mrs. French is a bully! This school is not safe for younger children. If your children has special needs do not send them to Daniel Island School. I do not understand how anyone could send their child to this overcrowded school!

Daniel Island School 4

Posted October 29, 2012
My child is in second grade at Daniel Island School She has an excellent teacher and we are very happy with her. She is very caring, yet has high expectations for her students. I really appreciate her effort to teach higher level thinking skills and creativity. My only concern is the size of the class ..26 students are too many for a 2nd grade class. This number puts a real strain on our teachers and hampers what they can do for our children.

Posted September 26, 2012
The administration at DIS is extremely supportive of students and faculty. They value positive relationships and go out of their way to ensure the safety and best interest of each member of the school community. The teachers are dedicated to challenging students for high achievement and personal values. Rachel's Challenge has been a wonderful program implemented at DIS to encourage high moral standards and respect toward others. The guidance department is doing a great job of advocating for a safe, friendly learning environment for our students. I am honored to be a part of this learning community!

Daniel Island School
2365 Daniel Island Dr, Charleston, SC  29492
Last modified Daniel Island School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Daniel Island School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top