Bad
Good

Develops character: Agree

DIS does try to develop honesty and integrity, but without parent support, children don't model it.

Last year (2014-2015) was the first year my son had attended school. Being military, we homeschooled from preschool through 4th grade. My husband deployed last year and I could not manage homeschooling by myself. We decided to send our son to Daniel Island School. He was bullied the entire year, both physically and verbally by different children. I must say, his teachers and guidance counselor were wonderful. We had a great communicative relationship. I would report to them and they would report to me. The issue was the bullying reporting system. I suppose "minor" infractions were taken care of by the teachers, next in line by the guidance counselor, then egregious infractions went to the vice principle. There was a breakdown in communication amongst these levels. The vice principle had no idea my son had been bullied the entire year when a child who had bullied him multiple times was finally sent to see her in the spring. Reports from the teachers and guidance counselor did not reach her desk if they had been "taken care of." At the end of the year, I had a meeting with Mrs. French, all three of his teachers and his guidance counselor because of how hideous he had been treated and how the reporting system did not service him well. There were days he did not want to go to school and would cry and beg not to go. Fortunately, we moved, but I would not have sent him back regardless. I believe changes to the reporting system have taken place because of how horribly my son was treated. I've read the comments of how other children have not been bullied, but unfortunately, it does happen and it's terrible. If you start at DI in kindergarten, yay for you, you're in. If not, well, I guess you don't fit into the DI mold, especially if you aren't into sports, cheerleading, etc. I know of other students who withdrew from DI for bullying. Just know that the bullies are alive and well at DIS and some of the parents couldn't care less.

I have three kids attending DI. All three started at kindergarten. My 7th grader has always been a small guy. He is also a certified band geek and makes good grades. He has never been bullied. My 3rd grader has special needs. His teachers meet with me regularly to discuss his learning goals. He has come along way in the past few years and I couldn't be more proud of him. He has always been a happy kid and has never been bullied. My youngest is in K-5 and she always comes home singing songs about manners and enjoys working with educational apps. Her reading skills are improving daily. Again, no bullies. This has just been our personal experience at DI and I would do it all over again.

Part2: Another troubling issue would be; the band and strings program. I experienced the lack of instructions, and a feeling of hatred towards my instrument. As a result of the lack of instruction, the number of students participating in the band went from about 40, to 7. 100% of that problem being the instructor. He tries to manipulate kids into staying in his band for the next year, as most implore parents to drop out. He also advocates you to sell rotten fruit as a "fundraising" to go on field trips to places like Disney Land and Carrowinds, which never once took place. After taking private lessons on my instrument, i realized there is so much more to music than dreaded practicing and under instruction. The guy can't even explain how to play basic rhythms, let alone provide the support and positive reinforcement to become a well established musician. Daniel Island school is a prime example of why kids like myself have to come up with reasons to wake up in the morning just to be treated like 1st graders under the instruction of uneducated, insolent "teachers"

I have been a student at Daniel Island School since about second grade and now I am in eighth grade. Despite how hard as they try, and how peaceful it seems, almost everyone gets bullied someway or another. And we do have the guidance consoler to go to, but all she does is bring more people then it need to be in it. Then, you get into trouble for telling. Also, the Spanish class absolutely sucks. And not because its hard, but because a person that grew up in a Hispanic speaking home said herself that the class was teaching the wrong stuff. Finally, the food in unbearable in the cafeteria. I mean I once found a rubber band & hair in my mashed potatoes. And, whenever they serve some kind of melted cheese, they literally have to beat the spoon to get it on the plate. I mean, melted cheese is sticky, but not that sticky. Bottom line, it might look like a pretty school on the outside but on the inside is something that you would consider homeschooling as an option before that. Thank you for the time and I hope I have saved your child from what I've endured.

Our daughter has went there since 2nd grade and now she's in 7th grade. We withdrew her today due to bullying on and off the whole time she's been going there. I would report it and my daughter sent a message in the bully box and still no change. We are wanting our daughter to get the best education she can. If you don't fit in with the DI crowd, this is not the school for you or your kids.

Daniel Island School is super impressive. We moved here a year ago from the northeast and was concerned about attending a public school. The staff is lovely. The school is beautiful and clean. I cannot say enough about this educational gem for my children. A community school that continues to strive for higher education.

One of my children has attended here 5th-7th grade and my other child has gone here for Kindergarten -1st. I was very concerned about reading the bullying reviews but this school has been completely anti-bully since we arrived. They address it, have speakers, and prevention and it has never been a problem. The teachers are great at communicating, parents are involved, there is ample opportunity to be involved. The AR program is the only disappointment as it became non-existent this year. But they have other reading incentives and a Beta Club (my childs group has not done anything special for Beta yet though) Love the front office staff and teachers!

This school is terrible the 8th grade teacher team is terrible they got my son on trouble many times when he was the victim. And the teachers acted like it wasn't there fault but it was all there fault!!! It's terrible the person who bulled my son got away free but my son got in trouble when he acted in self defense against the kid who was hurting him. Guess they don't know about the stand your ground law. This school sucks!!!

My son has been going to D. I. school since he was in the 3rd grade. He is now in the 6th grade and seems really content. We were worried about all the bullying issues we were hearing about and offered to send him to a local private school, especially while in middle school. He declined...He swears he has never experienced any bullying or witnessed any bullying towards anyone else. I was a little concerned, because he is usually pretty quiet and to himself & doesn't follow the "norm". I think that the school has really started to turn the corner in a positive manner with the social aspect. The teachers seem to really care and are there for their students. Really can't complain!

Last modified Daniel Island School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.