Posted July 23, 2012
This is our third year as a Hammond family and I couldn't be more pleased with my daughter's progress. She is in the third grade and I have found the administrators to be supportive and the teachers to be dedicated and willing to challenge my child academically. I agree that the school is ver expensive and may not be for everyone, but as a person of color I appreciate that the school has a strong tradition to reaching out to other communities and cultures. As long as my child continues to thrive at Hammond (and we can afford it) we will be a Hammond family.

Hammond School 2

Posted May 17, 2012
Hammond school has great potential with some great teachers, however, the administration has degraded the entire academic system....allowing the "select" few get favors, do overs, and special privileges just because of who their parents are or how much money they donate. My child was in the lower school and it gets totally out of control by the time they get to the upper school. I guess if you want to buy your child good grades without having them work for it...this is the school for you. Otherwise, you would do just as well at Dreher or AC Flora with actual academic standards and teachers who challenge students.

Hammond School 3

Posted May 18, 2011
After three years we are taking our children out of Hammond. The school has great facilities, teachers and great parents but management is just shallow. The air amongst a vast majority of the students is they can just breath the air at Hammond and become successful. Hard work is a distant thought at best. For the amount of money Hammond charges, nobody should walk away with the total disapproval we have but, we are.

Hammond School 3

Posted May 13, 2011
Unfortunately, Hammond is not what it once was. The current administration(at every level) has endorsed a watered down curriculum and is admitting children who who are weak students and behavior problems. Let the buyer beware! Our children will be leaving after this year. Why pay premium prices for what you can get for free in the public schools?

Hammond School 4

Posted April 09, 2011
Hammond was instrumental part of my education. I attended 5 years and graduated in class of 1998. I found the math program (particularly Mr. Austin) and physics program (Mrs. Peterson) to be very impressive. My only recommendation would be more focus on college prep earlier. Junior & Senior year there was a lot of college focus (resume, GPA, etc.) but it needs to start Freshman year to be more competitive. Nonetheless, I was able to get in to a top 10 college. Minus 1 star because technology in the school was weak (at the time) and because of above comments on college prep.

Posted March 01, 2011
If you are serious about education, Hammond is the school for you. From academics to athletics to the arts, Hammond excels.

Hammond School 1

Posted July 24, 2010
Mr Angel has no iintegrity. He makes deceisions with out hearing both sides of the story. He always take the easy way out and this makes him a poor headmaster

Hammond School 4

Posted May 15, 2010
Used to be a great school. The current administrators are not good and are taking the school in the wrong direction.

Posted May 12, 2010
This is our fourth year attending Hammond School, and I couldn't be more pleased. I have not felt the dissatisfaction that the other parent wrote about regarding the Lower School. I have found the Head of the LS to be available when I need her, prompt to respond to my communications, and have consistently had the teachers go the extra mile to educate my children, both intellectually and academically. I feel we are getting a very well rounded education

Hammond School 0

Posted May 10, 2010
We started our child in Kindergarten and were happy with the lower school. He excelled acedemically. The Middle School was a different story. Bullying was a major problem and the Middle School Head was incapable of dealing with it. There were countless incidents involving physical force, sexually inappropriate gesters and racial slurs. Also, Hammond has always been a step behind other schools technologically; Edline, Smartboards, even email. Our child made the decision to move to another private school. We feel as though we have stepped out of old fashion teaching methods and stepped into the 21st century.

Hammond School
854 Galway Lane, Columbia, SC  29209
Last modified Hammond School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Hammond School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews.