Columbia, SC

Posted June 09, 2015
I love this school! It is THE BEST elementary school in Lexington 5. My daughter, has received THE BEST teachers, friends, events, community etc from this school. If you ever hear bad reviews about this school, and are hesitant to send your child here (if you are zoned here), I beg you to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, come check it out for your self. Take a tour, meet the fabulous Principal, and Vice. Principal, teachers, and grades. You will then learn that old rumors, are OLD rumors!! This school also have a program for "the gifted and talented". My daughter is not in the program however, she is receiving just as good education as the gifted classes. Do not be fooled by hateful people if they tell you this is a bad school. Do your homework, see the A+'s that they get now, and please send your child here. You will be so happy that you did!

Harbison West Elementary School
Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 09, 2015
My daughter comes home happy, confident, and does nothing but want to go back to school the next day after coming home each day. I am friends with many parents who send there children here, and everyone agrees. This is THE BEST elementary school.

Posted March 29, 2015
I love the diversity and all the clubs that help build a lot of kind interests on the kids. Love the school 100%.

Posted March 06, 2015
This is an awesome school. Our son has attended since 2nd grade. He is now in 5th grade. The teachers and staff are amazing! We have had only positive experiences at HWES! So happy to be part of the Harbison Heroes community!

Posted March 03, 2015
I am a parent AND teacher at Harbison West. I have been an educator here for 8 years now, and could not be happier to have my own children attending our school! All of our teachers and staff are truly dedicated to serving each and every one of students to the best of their ability. Smiling is contagious and everyone is always willing to help. Our school is not only a great place to work, but we are a FAMILY... and we treat our students the same way. I have spent countless hours talking with different teachers who laugh, cry and live the daily lives with their students. Children at our school do not go through anything alone. We care for each and every one of them just as tho they are our own. We have numerous teachers that are mentors to a variety of children who need extra help. I can't count how many times our teachers have filled needs for students with their own money. Or how many times I've seen teachers provide opportunities for those children that couldn't provide it themselves. I could go on and on! Bottom line - I LOVE working at Harbison West Elementary, and MY two children love coming to school here every day!!!

Posted October 08, 2013
Our daughter transferred to Harbison West last year during the middle of kindergarten. Although we were nervous at the start, we were quickly welcomed into the HWE family. Our daughter comes home everyday telling us what she has learned that day. It's great seeing how excited she is about learning.

Posted September 26, 2013
My son enjoys Harbison West. Teachers are happy to be there and it shows. They offer great programs for students and the communication is awesome between school to parents.

Posted January 14, 2013
This our first year at HWES and are very pleased. My son is in 4th grade and loves it. All staff really care and takes the time to talk to the children and it shows in my son.

Posted May 30, 2012
I've been very pleased with HWES. I've not come across one teacher or administrator that has led me to feel as though my children are in less than capable hands. The location of the school renders itself to a different cross-section of the population than other areas of town, and some cultures will stand out more than others; however, that is to be expected everywhere. The teachers have exemplified to me, at least, specific attention to each child in the classroom - not just my own - from what I've observed. Each child is important to them. I'm shocked by the former comment, as it's so hard to picture malicious or negligent intent from any of the staff af HWES. I've seen the principal as well as the security officer and other teachers walking and talking with students of all ethnicities. They offer great programs to involve parents and kids, and the communication from the school is excellent. I've never missed any information I've needed for the week. They also do great at recognizing the kids for all sorts of positives; not much goes unnoticed. The atmosphere has a very positive air. Even bullying is snuffed out instantaneously, with generally constructive results. Kudos.

Harbison West Elementary School 4

Posted March 09, 2012
I am very concerned about the posting before mine. I wish I knew what caused that problem, as that description is scary! But I'll have to base my review on my own experience. Overall, I have been much happier with HWES than with the school my daughter attended last year. in this same district. However, she is part of the Escolares (gifted) program, and has an excellent teacher. She is not bored and tired of school anymore since moving to Escolares. I like the smaller size of the school, and the front desk staff has seemed competent in my dealings with them. The principal seems to run a tight ship (sorry for the cliche), but without day to day activities seeming as absurdly regimented as in the other school. My only complaint is that HWES is far from our home, so it's hard to attend extracurricular activities if they are not right after school. That is not the fault of HWES, it is the fault of the district for not having gifted programs available elsewhere. If you are in District 5, and your child needs the gifted program, this is the only real option. (BTW, the car line procedure at this school is great. I just hope the school addresses the prior poster's concerns.)

Harbison West Elementary School
257 Crossbow Drive, Columbia, SC  29212
Last modified Harbison West Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Harbison West Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top