School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

RNE has great teachers, students, families, and administrators. We truly pride ourself on the many programs that enable us to offer a rewarding high school educational experience to every single student-no matter their academic, athletic, or Arts levels. Most timportant, We welcome and embrace diversity and inclusion.
February 20, 2017

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I think that Richland Northeast is an amazing school! A lot of the time, I feel that RNE has a bad reputation; however, this normally comes from those who do not really know what an experience at this school is like. All of the teachers are understanding and willing to help, and there is a great number of clubs. Our student government is one of the best in the state and works to make the school a great place to be. There is a place for every student - honors, AP, IB, CP - every program is great and willing to help students get where they want to be. Programs like AVID and Gear Up help students get to college, and other programs like CATE help students prepare for their future careers. The Horizon academic magnet allows students a great place to learn with other enthusiastic students, while Palmetto Center for the Arts allows students to express themselves through a wonderful arts program. Convergence Media produces the school's award-winning publications: The Cavalier newspaper, The Archive yearbook, The Saber website, Psyche literary magazine, and RNE-TV Live. Richland Northeast is a great high school for students of all interests, and it helps anyone get where they want to go.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted February 20, 2017

There are so many opportunities for our children to excel academically, but also achieve marketable skills to use in the workforce. This school achieved the highest amount a scholarship dollars awarded to students last year. One student alone was awarded over $800K. That's what got my attention. The environment is family and community friendly. My daughter (9th grader) spends most of her free time there.

Wonderful school. Great programs. Outstanding people. This school has something for everyone! Visit Richland Northeast and get a tour with the student ambassadors.

Richland Northeast High School is an International Baccalaureate World School that also provides many exciting magnet opportunities such as Horizon (academic), iLink (technology), Palmetto Center for the Arts (PCA) and Convergence Media (broadcast and written media). The student body is diverse but incredibly welcoming with a family like atmosphere and accountability. The IB program has just been implemented in the last two years so there are some growing pains as the district and the school assimilate and communicate the opportunities that IB brings to Richland District 2 students. The international and global aspects of the IB program mesh extremely well with the diverse (and often international) student population that comes from being the feeder high school for Fort Jackson. As the wife of a Northeast graduate and the parent of two children that are currently there - I recommend it highly!

RNEHS recently received an International Baccalaureate World School status, quite a prestigious undertaking, from what I understand of the program. Encouraging, but since my child is a freshman, I don't have much experience with the school yet. My first impressions are that, although the buildings are a bit worn out looking, there have been efforts to make physical improvements and there are devoted students, staff and parents to oversee maintaining school spirit, too. The parking lot has been redone, the media center has been renovated, the athletic field is receiving a facelift. The teachers seem dedicated and intelligent, the principal involved and visible. There are several magnet programs here, but I was one of few parents who showed for the "regular" track classes on Open House night. I think the school is aware of its challenges and is taking action. Also, the school improvement council has received top honors for its work. What concerns me is that the school sits in the middle of a neighborhood with considerable crime after the sun goes down. I wouldn't venture in after dark, yet my child walks to and from 5 days a week. Not ideal.

Richland Northeast has been the best experience of my life. I can honestly say if I had the option, I would not go to any other school. Our teachers truly care about each and every student and are involved in our lives. We just recently have been certified as an International Baccalaureate school and have many awesome magnet programs. Our journalism program is one of the best in the nation with a state of the art studio for broadcast students. Not only is Richland Northeast the best in the district, it is the best in the state and I'd say nation. It is impossible for me to over exaggerate how great this school is. We are a Cavalier family and every student has a niche to which they belong. It's a great school, and you'd be crazy not to go here.

I love RNE! I came from a private school, and many of my friends thought I was crazy for switching schools, but I love RNE! The teachers have such an amazing impact on the students.They have taught me so much about life and about the subject matter they are teaching. We have a new principal, but she is doing a great job so far. The administration is very helpful. I feel as though I can talk to them anytime. Also we have a great track record of sending kids to good schools. Last year we had graduates go to Princeton, Dartmouth, Emory, Davidson, Duke, USC Honors, and get accepted to UVA, Tulane, and many more. I feel as though all the great things about RNE are not published in the newspaper. Don't listen to people who talk badly about RNE because most of them have never even been here. We have an overwhelming amount of community and school spirit. Also we have the most AP courses available in the state of South Carolina. There are a few bad kids, but I have found everyone to be extremely nice and caring towards each other. We also had our facilities redone and they are amazing! I'm sad to be leaving this school. My advice would be to check out our Cavalier family!!

Teachers are great. Administration does not control the disruptive students. When a disruptive student gets sent to an administrator, the student gets a slap on the wrist and gets sent back to class. Gangs have significant influence. Good teachers and substitutes who try to teach the students get forced out of their jobs by the administration. I would not send my child to this school.

Richland Northeast is an incredible school! The teachers are very caring and it offers so many fantastic programs most schools can't offer. The Academics are great, the Arts program is wonderful and they also offer outstanding journalism and computer programs. As a student who had to leave Richland Northeast for another school I have found how rare a school like this is. The Horizon program has really prepared me for college and through the Palmetto Center for the Arts program I have been able to develop a wonderful talent I would otherwise not have had the opportunity for.

Last modified Richland Northeast High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.