Woodland Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted October 26, 2011

The parents who have smart children who never have any problems are always the ones who are so happy with the school. The parents whos children have learning problems are the ones who are treated so unprofessionally from the teachers here. They advertise that they promote a parent-teacher relationship and want feedback but when that feedback is negative you are then labeled a problem parent. I find it unacceptable and unprofessional for the principal to support her teachers when parents come in with factual emails and work examples that show the teacher is anything but professional. It is also ridiculous when rules are established and the teacher is the one who breaks the rule/punishment consequences. I am very disappointed with the teachers I have met thus far. They show little common sense to the issues many children face and their method of trying to correct the problem is through punishment which is proven in studies to be ineffective. Eventually they will have a parent who will force the issue and report it to the appropriate authorities. If my daughter isnt treated appropriately in the future, I will be that parent.

Posted May 3, 2011

my son was a 5th grader there . his teacher was Mrs jolliff she is as rude as they come . she told a new student not to befriend my son that he was no good , not know that my son and that new student were already friends and have been for the past 3 yrs . she makes great class assignments too she had the class make a list of the students who was the best and the worst . I to went to Mrs Jackson and was all ready for a meeting with the teacher and Mrs Jackson and the meeting was canceled and never done .soonce again jolliff walked away free . they had a valentines day party and a student was told he was not to join if his hw was not done and turned in well he did all his hw but one paper the prin. told him that was fine . well not to the teacher she threw out his bag of candy rt in front of him . she wants the kids to respect her she needs to respect them also . if she don't like a kid she will not like that kid all year she made the year so hard for my son .it was a very hard year for me and my son . the best is I got a call saying that I no longer lived at my motherinlaws and had to remove my kids from the school 20 days left and my kids are stillnot in schoolthank you woodland

Posted February 3, 2011

Just wanted to say, "I love Woodland". When I first enrolled my children I was concered about the school being too large. The school lay out turned out to be simple. My children adjusted qiuckly. All the staff have been very helpful,

Posted October 13, 2010

part II "In these 2 years my child has been going to ..." This year, my child has been "lost" twice, per teacher and principal the child is mostly at fault. The teacher does not answer my emails. When she does, she does not address me on the emails, is short, cold and rude. The last email she wrote to me was mostly on CAPITAL LETTERS!!! I forwarded this email to the Principal. I'm still waiting on an appology from the teacher. I'm not holding my breath though. The principal did try to address with me my emailing volume. I guess a parent may not "annoy" the teacher. Do not expect to be treated with respect either. The parent-principal-teacher meeting of yesterday ... was moved to the day before yesterday. Of course, I was not notified. Again, they felt no appologies was needed ... until I called the board of education.

Posted May 3, 2010

Creative involved staff creating an exciting experience for their students.

Posted April 6, 2010

As a big supporter of public schools, I'm very disappointed to say that we have been unhappy at Woodland Elementary. Though our early years there were very good, the last few teachers we have had have been very weak. My student has seen teachers act with prejudice toward some students and daily witnesses unprofessional behavior. I would rate our K-2 experience five stars, but beginning with third grade, it went down hill quickly.

Posted July 31, 2008

the school is good, but is growing a lot and I think the principal can not handle it, she is overwhelmed. We moved to the area 2 years ago and my son has been bored because he already learned what they are teaching him, he hasn't been challenged enough, and when we tried to talk to the principal she had no answers...

Posted April 18, 2008

As far as education goes, this school is on point. And with the exception of a few teachers the majority of the teachers are excellent. But that few makes the school look bad. Some of the teachers are out of touch with what it takes to also build a child's self esteem not break a child's self esteem those are the teachers that make the school look bad. For my child it has been so bad that I am force to put my child in private school or home school. The principle tries but cant seem to get this under control.

Posted November 20, 2007

I am proud to say that my daughter attends Woodland, she has an above average grades. Thanks Woodland Staff.

Posted June 5, 2007

I think Woodland is an excellent school. I am proud to say that my daughter attends Woodland Elementary. The faculty and staff are most caring about helping children. The school is focused on technology. They have installed interactive white boards in almost every upper grade classroom. The school is run like a tight ship from the morning drop off to the afternoon pick up. I always know what is going on at Woodland and the teachers are great. My child's fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Linder, really took the time to help my daughter. She learned so much from this teacher and has really been motivated with school. I couldn't ask for a better school.

Posted April 15, 2007

Woodland is a great school with a strong teacher base and a real sense of community. The diversity of the student population and the committment of the teachers and staff make it a wonderful and safe place for children. The PTA is very strong at this school and again, they are committed to the needs of the teachers as well as the children. I would strongly recommend this school as a preparation for Riverside Middle and Riverside Highschool.

Posted June 3, 2006

Let me start by saying that we moved here because of all the great things we heard about Riverside Middle and Riverside High, but I would not recommend Woodland Elementary school to anyone moving here. It is a beautiful new school with no accademic support (at least not in our class). My child was having a hard time with some of the subjects and the pleas for help were ignored and unanswered. Very poor communication between parent and teacher. Comments and requests left on school papers for teachers response were never answered. School smoking ban never enforced by staff allowing anyone to smoke and infringe on the smokefree rights of students and others while waiting for student pickup. Parents need to take a more active role in safety by not using cell phones while driving around school grounds, way too many close calls.

Posted April 18, 2006

My 3rd grader recently started attending Woodland after our move from FL. I was extremely impressed with the school itself and what it had to offer when my husband and I took the parent tour the school offers twice a month. Not only were the students in every class we attended engaged and happy and calm, but the staff and teachers were all very nice and helpful toward both ourselves and the student. In other onvolvement with the school outside of the tour, I found that level of attention to be consistent, and I am so happy we chose to buy our house within this school district. School district was key for us, and so far I am very happy with Woodland and so is my child.

Posted March 8, 2005

I have been very pleased with Woodland. There are more active volunteers at this elementary school than any other that I have ever seen. They have a great core group! The dismissal program kinks have been worked out now, and dismissal is faster and safer than ever. Great school! The only negative thing I can say is I wish they taught a foreign language.

Posted February 11, 2005

My children have been attending Woodland now for two years, and we have found it to be wonderful! I've found the principal, assistant principal, and instructional coach to be very responsive and focused on the best interest of children. The teachers we've been involved with are extremely knowledgeable, loving, and structured--all things children need to be successful. The safety of my children has been enhanced by the new dismissal policy, which now only takes 10-15 minutes to complete. I'm disappointed to see the misrepresented data on this website, though. Many more children at Woodland, and all SC schools, are passing our PACT test. Please know that this site is only reporting proficient and advanced scores of SC students; however, basic scores do 'meet' academic standards under current SC educational law. All in all . . . Woodland is 'coming together and moving forward to continue a tradition of excellence.'

Posted August 25, 2004

I would like to express my disappointment and dismay at the lack of a working and efficient school dismissal program at Woodland. The 'new number' system is a total disaster and is not a secure method. The first two days of dismissal took 1.5 hours to complete. Parents sit in lines around the community waiting to pick up their child, while other children who are at other schools have to wait. I think it is high time, after 2 long, frustrating and exhausting days, that the Principal admit that this is the worst mistake she has made and go back to the way we have always dismissed.

Posted July 27, 2004

My experience with Woodland Elementary was not exaclty what I would concider positive. The principal was not at all helpful, able to find solutions or even solve problems within her own school that she is supposed to lead. I personally would not suggest any family moving to the area put their children in this school. Research the area completely before making the mistake that I did and moving into the Woodland Elementary school district. Not only the principal but several staff members, including teachers, are not exactly what I would want my children or your children to concider role models. They are prejudice (and I am white), abusive verbally and take their positions completely beyond what I would concider providing my child an education. Let me just end by saying parents beware.

Posted June 17, 2004

I think that Woodland is the perfect example of what our children will be facing when they enter the 'real world'. There are both good and bad teachers; there are children of every race and many different countries; there are extremely gifted children and children who will always need a hand; there are all levels of soci-economics represented and there are parents who very hard for their children and those who simply just can't. My experience at Woodland has been extremely positive and I feel my children have recieve excellent educations so far.

Posted May 16, 2004

Over all this is a good school. The only problem is the pricipal, she does not understand that the students are also protected by Due Process. She likes to hand out punishment that does not fit the crime.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 80% in 2013.

219 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

220 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 61% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 75% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

216 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 South Carolina used the Palmetto Assessment of State Standards (PASS) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in Writing, English/Language Arts, Math, Social Studies and Science. The PASS is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of South Carolina. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

177 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

198 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

200 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 72% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 70% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 74% in 2013.

196 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students92%

English language learners69%
Proficient in English87%
Non-migrant84%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the South Carolina Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Male81%

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • American sign language
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
Fax number
  • (864) 355-0477

Foreign languages taught
  • American sign language

Transportation options
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Auditorium