Wando High School 1

Posted September 04, 2014
This school is not only huge and uncomfortable abut also very bias and solely focused on sports. They offer very little in the arts and academics department, yet what they do offer is the bare minimum, chorus, theater etc.... not much else. The teachers lack spirt and you can tell, as well as the students who want to learn but often do not. There however some diamonds in the rough, i am calling out Ms.McDonald a fabulous psychology teacher and Coach Corrning a great American History and Sociology teacher. Both genuinely care and want to be there and enjoy the company of there students.

Posted January 25, 2014
Wando is a fantastic school. Having been in a very small school for nine years, I felt that I would be uncomfortable with the size adjustment. But the faculty and staff members are the best, much better than I saw in any other high school that I visited. My mother went to Wando when she was in high school, and it's great features haven't changed. Yes, it can be difficult to navigate and can be tough during class changes, but you really do meet someone new every day. It is a great environment full of people who want to help with any problems you might have, and I wouldn't want to go anywhere else.

Posted June 04, 2013
I agree with the previous post ("Simply the best...")! I'm the parent of a high-achieving freshman who has just finished a great year! Just go visit! The opportunities are endless and the level of instruction/ coaching is top notch!

Posted February 21, 2013
Simply the best high school I've ever seen! Wando is an outstanding school in a state that's traditionally struggled to produce great public education. Its faculty, administrators and support staff are wonderful, concerned and focused on promoting excellence always. Yes, it's a big school - a very big school - but therein lies the opportunity for so many students. I've had two children at Wando, both of whom found their niches and have had marvelous experiences there. (My younger son, who loathed sitting still in class, has a straight-A average in his first semester at Wando and is doing terrifically on all levels there.) The amount of extra opportunity available - both during and after school - is a result of the large population - and having students majoring in an area with college-level courses (business, health sciences, pre-engineering and others) puts them way ahead of their peers at other schools. Their extracurricular programs range from cooking to sports to robotics to ROTC and more. I can't say enough about this school and am thrilled that my children are fortunate enough to attend.

Wando High School 3

Posted January 09, 2012
It's true, mostly all of the guidance counselors and teachers are very nice and polite. But it's also true that this school is very big. Which is not a problem itself, but the school gets very unfamiliar with the bigger size. Plus the newer campus is not even big enough for all the students, some have to study in trailers. Yes, the academic programs are good and it may be the best school in that area, but still, I think the size really matters. And let me tell you this, studying in a trailer because even the new campus is to small for the number of students isn't nice at all. So size matters after all!

Posted June 22, 2011
Out of all of the magnet and private schools available in the Charleston area, I would rank Wando High School as the very best. They don't hand-pick their students and still manage to have top-notch scores. The honors and AP classes are the most successful in the area. (AP scores are higher than Academic Magnet.) The teachers and principal are excellent, as are the number of clubs, sports, and arts available.

Posted June 07, 2011
I have 2 older children that went to Wando and a junior at present. We have always had great things to say about Wando. Besides the obvious beautiful appearence Wando has great teachers and staff. Having a teenager is hard work and having them stay focused and on task is also hard. However, I have learned that Wando has chosen their teachers and staff very well as they always seem to have the childs best interest at hand and willing to work with each parent to provide assistance where needed. We are very proud to say that our children have gone to Wando. Keep up the great job, we only have 2 more years and maybe our grandchildren will go to Wando; if we have a say in it.

Wando High School 0

Posted September 16, 2009
I love Wando High School because the teachers, guidance councilors, other faculty care so much about the students.

Posted July 19, 2009
As a recent graduate of the school, I had an excellent 4 years at the new Wando. It has excellent leadership through the principle, it offers a wide range of classes, and is the best general acceptance public school in South Carolina.

Wando High School 0

Posted June 09, 2009
My son just graduated from Wando. I love this school! My son has a learning disablility that was handled in emelentary and middle school by placing him in special education classes. When he got to Wando they pushed to place him regular classroom studies. He struggled but in this last year he was on the honor roll both semesters and graduated with honors. This would never have been possible without the dedication of staff and teachers. Thank you!

Wando High School
1000 Warrior Way, Mt. Pleasant, SC  29466
Last modified Wando High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Wando High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews.