No rating

Westminster Catawba Christian School

Private | PK-12 | 470 students

Our school is best known for being a vibrant, Christ-centered community.

Living in Rock Hill

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $138,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $770.

Posted February 9, 2014

I am a student in 9th grade at WCCS. I think that it's a good school with a good environment. The teachers are nice and are good at teaching their subject. Because the school isn't as large as some other public schools, I am able to get to know the other students better. I feel like I'm learning a lot in my classes, and I am able to get to know my teachers as well. I think that Westminster Catawba Christian School is a great school with a friendly environment for the students there.

Posted February 8, 2014

I am a WCCS parent of three children spanning from grade school to high school. We have been at the school for over nine years, and all of our children have been at WCCS since Kindergarten. We are very well-informed about what is offered at other schools in the area, and I can honestly say that the academics, environment, and integration of a Christian world view at WCCS are outstanding. The teachers are phenomenal, dedicated, well-qualified individuals who love the Lord and love the kids. Most of them have Master's degrees, and some at the high school level have doctorates. The high school honors classes have been excellent. The school has improved tremendously in the last year under the leadership of the highly-qualified interim head of school, and the new head of school has an excellent track record of exceptional leadership at another competitive private school in the area. As parents, we are excited to see what additional positive changes will come under the incoming head of school. WCCS is filled with great kids, kind, smart teachers, and caring administrators who make sending your kids to school a joy for parents.

Posted February 7, 2014

Thank God for the wonderful changes at WCCS. We have been at WCCS for our entire school experience (10 years so far) and although we went through a trying time under the previous administration where we were concerned about the school, we couldn't be happier now. The academic standards under the new administration are higher than they have ever been, and they even have a highly qualified former university professor teaching the AP and Honors math courses. The current administration is very focused on providing a top quality education in a strongly Christian environment and you can see the results in the attitudes and behavior of the students. I would not hesitate to recommend this school.

Posted February 5, 2014

WCCS has academic standards set very low. I have seen students struggle when they get to college because they are not prepared to handle the academics at a higher level. From the administration on down, there is a notion that they are doing you a favor by allowing your child to attend WCCS and assumptions are always made that parents or children are the ones with problems, not the school. The administration and particularly the board, fails to honestly assess their strengths and weaknesses, instead they simply decide that everything they do is good and if people fail to recognize it then they must be stupid. Enrollment has declined by over 50% in the last 5 years so the school focuses on new families that are new to the community or church to replace the ever turning revolving door that exists at the school. I do not recommend WCCS nor do I see Christian characteristics coming from either the administration or support staff.

Posted November 12, 2013

The kids at my school are friendly and welcoming. The teachers are really nice and take the time to explain difficult things. The teams are good--the volleyball team just won the state championship. The Bible instruction is helpful and the teachers are good at helping us understand hard concepts. The play was amazing. Kids from here get into really good colleges.

Posted October 14, 2013

WCCS recently hosted Pastors Appreciation Day during chapel. It was amazing to see over 30 pastors from different churches attend the chapel service, and then gather with students from their congregation to pray with them. I am so glad that WCCS addresses students spiritual needs while at the same time offering strong academic training.

Posted September 26, 2013

A fresh breeze is blowing at Westminster Catawba Christian School with the change in administration. There has been a return to Christ-centered values and solid teaching. The academic focus has produced increased scores on national exams. There has always been a sweet spirit on the elementary campus and now we feel that same camaraderie and trust on the middle and high school campus. The students are wonderful kids who are valued. Teachers put forth significant effort to meet individual needs of their students. We truly believe the Lord has called us to be here. We know there is always room for improvement, but I am so very grateful for this place!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 17, 2013

WCCS is a problematic institution. It is surprising that it has muddled through the dirt thus far. The problem is quite obvious. Instead of dealing with parenting or faculty concerns, depending on who you are, any genuine concerns that the leaders don't want to hear are covered up, marginalized, ignored, etc. In other words nothing ever gets dealt with leaving the school always in damage control mode. The other problem is too much negative church control. The administration constantly has to play politics between the church and board not allowing them the opportunity to lead. The best solution is for.someone .someone to for.someone to buy out the school from the church like several other christian schools have done and watch wccs take off.

Posted July 12, 2013

Westminster has been a school where our children have thrived. As any parent knows, each child is unique and the interests and God-given talents they possess are better developed when they are given an opportunity to express them in a supportive community. My children have attended WCCS for 6 years and in that time I have seen them grow leadership and character through the classes, Bible studies, student government, the stage, sports and a terrific Odyssey of the Mind program. I am also a huge fan of the school's emphasis on expanding my kids global view. A student exchange program that brings foreign students to study at WCCS brought 13 students from China, South Korea, Vietnam, & Spain last year and international missions opportunities are offered annually.

Posted May 30, 2013

Our family moved here two years ago from a wonderful Christian school. We chose WCCS for our son for a couple of reasons. The main reason was that WCCS is a Christian school. We wanted him to stay in an environment that teaches a Christian world view rather than a secular one. The other reason we selected WCCS was that our previous Head of School impressed upon us the importance of choosing an accredited school with SACS and ACSI. Lastly, the tuition was not nearly as much as the Christian schools in Charlotte. Our daughter, who tried a year of public school her freshman year, is now attending WCCS as well. She said it feels like she came back home.

Posted May 1, 2013

My youngest child will graduate from WCCS this year. Both of my children went all the way from preschool to graduation there, and I am so thankful. My husband and I have enjoyed a wonderful partnership with the school and have never had a moment of regret with regards to sending our children there! They have received a well-rounded education in a safe and nurturing environment. Because of the size, they have established meaningful relationships that will last a lifetime. Thanks to WCCS!

Posted May 1, 2013

Westminster Catawba Christian has outstanding Christian teachers. We moved our three children to WCCS this year. Our expectations have been exceeded. The teachers provide a strong academic class setting and a biblical world view. The children are taught in a loving environment. The people at WCCS have been a huge blessing to our family.

Posted April 30, 2013

Our first year at WCCS has been outstanding! The teachers here are so caring and have really made our experience here so great. Our son is learning so much and enjoys going to school. He can't wait for next year.

Posted December 13, 2012

I am a former graduate of Westminster. I believe that I'm entitled to dedicate one of my first sentences of this review to explain how upset I am by this school, and how much it has declined since I started there. I began attending Westminster when I was in 4-year old kindergarden. I attended for my entire schooling, and also graduated there as I stated before. I used to love this school. I made many friends throughout the years who I still am contacted with today. What I am here to write about is the administration. I cannot explain how this school and its administration irritates me. The administration has completely fallen and lost all track of caring for students and having a godly attitude in anything that they do. I beg of you to not send your children here, because you will definitely regret it. I absolutely despised my Junior and Senior year, as I learned absolutely nothing. Very few good teachers remain. Be weary.

Posted December 4, 2012

My family has been committed to a Christian education for our children. After our experience at WCCS we are now rethinking our commitment. Our children have attended WCCS since preschool and all seemed to be well at the school until the current administration entered the picture. We have since experienced poor teaching practices, favoritism of students and teachers, and morally bankrupt leadership. We have been required to hire private tutors for certain classes because of the poor teaching. Enrollment has dropped drastically low, way lower than the number you have listed on your website. Good teachers remain, but many have been let go replaced with poor teachers that fall in line with the administration's agenda. If we could start over we would have attended public school. It couldn't be any worse than our experience.

Posted December 4, 2012

I am a student at WCCS. I have been at this school my whole life. I used to love it. The students are very close because of the size of the school. The teachers used to be close to the students. If you had a problem you could always go to one of the teachers you were closest to and get help. Then the new administration came. Now many of the wonderful teachers are gone, replaced by poor teachers. They are not aloud to be as close to the students. There have been many incidents between students. The administration doesn't do anything about it. The teachers let the students get away with things they do just like the administration such as bullying. The administration, I know for a fact, has threatened people too. They have coaches that definitely do not show Christian characteristics making some students scared and not want to play sports. The dress code is different now because the old one was not even enforced and neither is this one. There is so much more negative than positive at this school now. I wish I could warn you more about it. Christian school? It either needs to live up to its name or remove the Christian part. That is going down hill fast. I am ready to leave.

Posted November 24, 2012

As a former student, I have to say that WCCS really prepared me academically for college-level work. I currently attend a state university and the work here is nothing compared to the rigorous work I did in my high school years. Unfortunately, their science and math department is a bit lacking. Teachers are highly critical of the theory of evolution and they will probably shove Young Earth Creationism down your throat every chance they get. However, you WILL learn how to write, study, work hard, and organize yourself professionally. The school is also terribly lacking in diversity of opinion within the student body. Like any high school there are tons of bullies, cliques, and very hypocritical "two-faced" individuals who ridicule anyone who is "different" which can really wreck one's spiritual life after years of dealing with it. Students will have some tearful Christian "revivals" one day and then be calling each other names and going out getting wasted and partying the very next. Luckily, there are a few teachers who are incredibly friendly and supportive and make the long, hard journey worth it all.

Posted September 15, 2012

There is an astonishing level of immoral activity on the part of the "leadership team". How this school retains the title "Christian" I find hard to understand.

Posted September 8, 2012

I can only speak to the Westminster Campus since my children have only attended there; they are in their third year at WCCS. I have had firsthand experience in some of the classrooms and also have come to know some of the teachers personally and I can tell you these people love the Lord and they are dedicated to teaching our children. I see them working long hours and continue to display the fruits of the spirit to all they encounter. They are concerned about each child and how they themselves are affecting the children and the people around them for Christ. If you are looking for an elite private school makes parents feel like their child will only be groomed to be leaders of a worldly culture(because they pay tuition), this may not be the school for you. If you are looking for a school that focuses on the glory of God and creating leaders for Christ, and academics, then WCCS is for you. PTL!!

Posted August 7, 2012

My daughter is now going onto her 4th year at WCCS. I have found the teachers and principal to be great stewards of God's word. If your desire is to have your child get a good Christian Education, then this is the place for you.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 2-year college 2% (2012)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 96% (2012)
Percentage of students going to the military 2% (2012)
Colleges most students attend after graduation Clemson University
Winthrop University
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 7:50 am
School end time
  • 2:40 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Advanced placement courses
  • College prep
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
  • Latin
  • Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • None
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Community service
  • Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
  • Mock trial competition club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom