Palmetto High School

Public | 9-12 | 933 students

Posted July 18, 2012

Palmetto High School puts too much emphasis on sports. Not all children are inclined to be a jock! There are alot of bullies there and the students are encouraged not to take up for themselves because they, as well as the bully, will be punished. My son did have some special teachers last year, in Freshman Academy, that did take an interest in his success. They were a God send. The people in administration for that school act as if they are prison guards instead of adult leaders teaching our children, by example, how to be adults. Hopefully a new principle this year will make a difference.

Posted June 28, 2012

Both of my children attended and graduated from Palmetto High School and both are in college now. Both were involved in extra cirricular activities and were active in sports. We LOVE Palmetto! I do not believe we could have done better with any private school. If I had to do it again, I would not hesitate to send my children here. It is a GREAT school, with a caring faculty and staff. I don't know what these people are talking about when they say different. My children enjoyed Palmetto High School and flourished there. Wonderful school! Excellent honors and AP programs!

Posted April 29, 2012

This school is amazing. ive been here for 3 years now and iv had a blast. This School has been one of the highlights of my life. The Principles are fair in punishment. The teachers are some of the best you can find. The students here mainly the girls do like to start "Drama" but its usually handeled very quickly. There has always been bullies at palmetto.....BUT also there has been bullies at wren,Bhp,Byrnes,crescent everywhere. so you cant single out palmetto. This school is one of the best schools in Sc heck id even say the us. We may not have the exact best in everything but this school is Where its at. Parents are strongley involved with students in the school just like the teachers. By far out of all the schools iv ever been to. This one has furthered me more in life than any of them. thanks to the teachers who will not give up on you. they will stay LATE in the afernoon for just ONE student. they care. SO my review of palmetto is excellent

Posted March 22, 2011

Palmetto, all it is, is drama drama drama. I have never been to a school like this one. The administrators will not do anything to really help you. Because, my freshman year (last year) i was bullied and threatened for 3 months and the administrators, nor the resource officer would do anything about it. And, the freshman academy didn't prepare me for my sophmore year, at all.

Posted September 23, 2009

i love palmetto! it is really a good school and people are so nice there and i havent heard one person say that they hate it.

Posted October 6, 2007

Our sports programs are strong, and there is a lot of school pride. The players of the sports, however, have developed a large ego, and aren't afraid to show it. I am an honest, all-A student, yet still feel that our assistant principals don't believe anything I or my parent tells them. Parental involvement is at a minimum. The teachers I've had are good, but sometimes don't help the honors classes very much because they assume that we know everything. There are a lot of bullies, but there are also great students. The cafeteria is a nightmare this year. It is a rarity to actually get through the line and have more than three minutes to eat. The Freshman Academy, despite its claims, did not prepare me for the sophomore year. Having every class everyday made it hard, because I cannot learn five different things each day easily.

Posted October 5, 2007

I am a student at Palmetto. I play j.v. volleyball, and we are awsome. The displine is very strick here but they want us to learn. Also the respect from one another is awsome. I love the freshman academy, beacause I am a freshman. So this school is great.

Posted February 24, 2007

Im a student at Palmetto. Its a great school. The teachers try their best to help each student with any trouble their having. The Freshmen Acc. is wonderful. It does have air,heat. Palmetto trys to be the greatest school. We have alot of team spirit for our football,and basketball teams. Every student has a chance to be in the ROTC program,band,sports,school newspaper(writing the stories),after school program,also teachers help with chidlren who scored low on their pact or other tests teach them on their own time and also being part of our teams. Palmetto High School is filled with good students, and awesome teachers. The teachers always have a smile on their face ready to teach us. I personally think, Palmetto has started programs other schools have created after us. =] - Samantha (class of 2010)

Posted December 8, 2006

I am a parent of a student at PHS and I think it is a wonderful school! The Freshman Academy is a great program that helps the students make the transition from middle school to high school smoothly and the teachers in the academy are outstanding! My son had a wonderful experience and was very well prepared for the 10th grade. This year, it is much of the same! He has great teachers and the administration is very supportive!

Posted August 17, 2006

I'm not a parent from Palmetto, I'm a student. The school is better than a lot that's true, but it still isn't great. The Freshman Acadamy is a joke it does nothing but make you more unprepared for the tenth grade. The teachers are all the same except for the science and english teachers they're very good. There is no heat or air in the main building, and the acadamy teachers won't use the heat. The auditorium and the cafeteria are both way too small for the amount of students that attend. The lockers are old and too small for the books, if we even have the books.

Posted March 30, 2006

I have a son that attends Palmetto High. I have two major concerns. One is that they do not have a PTA for parents to be involved in. Unlike other schools, I have not felt very invited to this one. The other concern is that there are some pretty rough students that attend there so Palmetto has its share of bullies. I think that all students should feel safe at the school that they attend. Administrators seem to be pretty strict but I do not see much prevention in place. I would like to say that Palmetto has a wonderful ROTC program.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 91% in 2013.

234 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

234 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % level 2, 3, or 4

In 2012-2013 South Carolina used the High School Assessment Program (HSAP) to test grade 10 students in English/Language Arts and Math. The HSAP is a high school graduation requirement. The HSAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of South Carolina. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 2.

English/Language Arts

English language learnersn/a
Proficient in English95%
Not migrant95%
Scale: % level 2, 3, or 4

The different student groups are identified by the South Carolina Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

189 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Applied Biology

The state average for Applied Biology was 55% in 2013.

n/a
Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 80% in 2013.

273 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 77% in 2013.

175 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Mathematics for the Technologies 2

The state average for Mathematics for the Technologies 2 was 67% in 2013.

n/a
Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 60% in 2011.

251 students were tested at this school in 2011.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 95% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History and Government

The state average for U.S. History and Government was 57% in 2013.

198 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: %D, C, B, A

In 2012-2013 South Carolina used the End-of-Course Examination Program (EOCEP) to test middle and high school students in Algebra I, Mathematics for the Technologies II, Biology I, English I, US History, and US History and Government. The EOCEP provides tests in high school core courses and for courses taken in middle school for high school credit. The EOCEP is a standards-based test program, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of South Carolina. The goal is for all students to score a C or above.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 45%N/A57%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

804 North Hamilton St