Antioch High School

Public | 9-12

Posted Tuesday, July 22, 2014

This school just gained an amazing Associate Director of Bands in Chris Janowiak. He is a gift to students, passionate about band and choir and all things musical. Most importantly he cares deeply about his students and creates life long relationships that stress the importance of academic success as well as musical excellence. He builds character with students and cares deeply about them on a personal level as well. Get ready Antioch! You will love him! Mattawan Consolidated Schools in Michigan, well, we will miss him!

Posted June 22, 2014

This school is completely terrible. If you think otherwise your standards for education are lower than the students' GPA's.

Posted January 15, 2014

I'm a teacher and a parent, although my son is not yet in high school. If you're reading this, I will speak to you as though I'm a parent, yet someone on the 'inside'. I've been teaching here several years and finally feel like all of the right decisions have been made in the past 2 years to make this school as good as it's ever been, although I've not always felt that way. We have great... caring administrators who often balance a fine line between keeping kids in school, yet making decisions of alternative plans for those students who create an undesirable learning atmosphere for those who want to learn. I can only speak to my perceptions, obviously, but am surprised that this school is not rated higher than a 4. I believe we have an awesome faculty who all have huge hearts and try to bend over backwards for our students. The school does have temperature extremes, but most students roll with it and are prepared with layers when necessary. Yes, they hate dress code, but why change something that is working for our improvement? The school is improving GREATLY every year thanks to dedicated staff and administrators that recognize that "good-enough" can be continuously improved.

Posted June 16, 2013

This school is unacceptable. This year, in my academy, only 20% of the senior graduated. The lady at the front office, whose job is to help students is incredibly rude. They care about dress code more than their students learning experiences. School starts at 7:15am, but the don't open the doors until 6:50am. Not only is the ridiculously early, but students can't enter and go to class and eat breakfast and do homework until less than 30mins before they're supposed to be in class. They make students create their own schedules for the next school year in class, which would be nice except for they figured out a way to ruin that to. We had about 15 minutes to do something that needs at least 30 minutes. I had questions about what classes I needed and no one would answer them. Also, this school is COLD. That might not seem important, but when you sit it in 7 hours a day for an entire school year, it's terrible. I couldn't focus on work because I was freezing, even with a thick jacket on. The teachers are actually mostly very good, but too many don't even have lesson plans for the year. This school pretty much wasted my Junior year of high school. DO NOT GO HERE.

Posted April 16, 2013

Antioch High School does have unruly classrooms, my son was at Antioch last year. He could not learn in the classrooms because the teachers could not discipline the children in the classrooms. Teachers were not able to get the students to be quite enough so that they could teach class. In other classes the teachers were not even willing to teach. Principals played favorites with disciplinary actions towards students. I would put my son in a private school if I could afford to do so. My son is a very intellectual person but was not stimulated in any of his classrooms.

Posted April 15, 2013

In response to the last poster...I have been at AHS for over 10 years. The teachers are not afraid of the students, there is no general unruliness in the classrooms, and no one has been SHOT at school since I've been here. Not sure what this person is talking about. The biggest problem at AHS and virtually all urban schools...lack of parent/community support. If there is no involvement on the part of the parents there is going to be no value put on education by the students. I have no idea why we have parent/teacher conferences because no one shows up. This school has a very good faculty and this faculty has made AHS as good as it can be without help from the parents/community.

Posted August 29, 2011

Are you kidding me? The school can't even supply books to the students, or afford to make copies of papers for the classes for the student to have their own copy. The teachers are too afraid of the students to do anything about the unruliness in the classrooms. I have been there and here students yelling obscenities down the hallway at each other, while the teachers stand by like this is commonplace and nothing wrong with it. One student was shot last year. I know at least one was beat down so badly at school an ambulance had to be called. This is ridiculous!

Posted May 25, 2011

I have taught at Antioch High School for four years, and I think it is one of the best schools in Nashville. We have a wonderful faculty who truly care about the students and the quality of instruction they deliver. Our faculty is continually striving for improvement and is always willing to do whatever is necessary to improve student learning and increase student involvement. Antioch is one of only TWO schools in Nashville which passed federal benchmarkc assessments for NCLB guidelines. Antioch not only met the standards, but far surpassed many of the objectives set by NCLB. It is truly an honor and pleasure to work in an environment which fosters cooperation among faculty, administration, and students.

Posted May 25, 2011

Antioch High School is a wonderful school that is improving everyday. With a wonderfully supportive administration, teachers are able to continually grow in our profession, encouraging each other in new endeavours to challenge our students. The students are the most kind, well-mannered, motivated teenagers. Everyday you can see students striving to improve themselves, intellectually and personally. With the teachers constantly improving the academics offered, and the students willing and able to overcome any challenges, Antioch is easily the best High School around.

Posted April 3, 2010

My son went to Antioch High School for all four years and he LOVED EVERY YEAR! he was in the band, which was one of the BEST AND MOST COST EFFECTIVE IN THE STATE OF TENNESSEE. I would recommend this school over any other public school in Tennessee. This school is the ONLY ONE that was taken OFF of the High Priority list in Davidson county. High priority list schools are those that have bad test grades. The principals and teachers there are also incredible! Everyone working there made it their duty to give my child a high quality education and that is exactly what he got. DO NOT BE FOOLED by the negative vibe others have of Antioch. Moving my family here is the most cost effective decision that I ever made. It's worth it!

Posted October 3, 2009

I love the band experience my daughter is having at Antioch High School, and the fact that the band directors care about each class and each grade each on the band students has / makes. Their passion is not just to educate the students in music, but to make them a well rounded individual. As a parent, I can say enough how much this means to me.

Posted September 17, 2009

Antioch High offers so many opportunities to students. Students can take college classes and on-line classes. The teachers and the administration really work hard to make sure every child has a post secondary connection. There is even a counselor that is there just to work on getting students scholarships and jobs. This school is the best kept secret in town.

Posted September 16, 2009

I Love Antioch High School because we have an AWESOME Principal and FANTASTIC Administrators. Everyone associated with Antioch H.S. really cares about the students achieving their life goals.

Posted April 21, 2008

My daughter is a junior at Antioch High and I can't wait till she graduates next year. Antioch needs to get new assistant principals like they did getting a new principal. Most of the teachers (to me) care more that they kids like them than trying to teach them. I stood in the hallway one day and listened outside of a class my daughter had and listened to her teacher start an augument between two students till it got heated and she commanded that they stop. The only reason my daughter is still there is because she is doing a great job and she does not want to transfer elsewhere before she graduates. She has had several problems with students there just because, no other reason needed. I will never suggest this school to anyone!

Posted January 16, 2008

I am a student at Antioch High School. I don't talk a lot but i do obersve the environment. To me i see this school as easier than where i came from (Miami,Florida). Most of the teachers are very nice and well educated. Some are just boring. As for communication, as all high schools it has its little 'clicks'. Typically they stay in there own group and don't take nicly to others, but thats life.

Posted December 28, 2006

i am a student at antioch high.Antioch High suffers from being overcrowded therefore teacher has less time to spend with the children and there is a lack of bond due to the population.i understand that school is a place for learning but there are some barriers that need to be broken throughout the teachers and students to increase the knowledge that students learn at school because some student do require extra attention.

Posted December 13, 2005

I have 2 children that graduated from AHS in the last couple years (and 1 still there). They received an A++ education and are excelling in college (which, I might add..they are on academic scholarship..Thanks to the leadership of AHS!) Yes..there are 'gangs'..yes there are teachers that are not 'favorites'.However there are a 100 other teachers in the school giving of their time, attention, love, and care to tomorrows' leaders.It is a wonderful environment for learning not only academics ..but the 'real world'! My children could have gone to private or to Magnet...thank goodness that we made the choice of AHS...They have so many great memories and will forever be greatful for their experiences while there.

Posted November 2, 2005

I removed my child from Antioch due to the gang activity. He is now home schooled. There is quite a bit of favoritism when it comes to discipline from the principal. Although my daughter is on the honor roll, I will be removing her from the school as well. There is one teacher at Antioch that throws things at her students out of frustration...she is still there! What does that teach the kids? What message are they getting from the administration? The kids are right, my son did not learn very much while attending this school.

Posted July 9, 2005

I graduated this year from Antioch High School I've seen alot over the past 4 years at this school regarding individual behavior. There are alot of people who don't respect authority, though considering where AHS is located, it's no wonder. Students aren't afraid to express their minds here. This year a new principal was introduced to the student body and she was very strict, but people (including I) have found ways around certain boundaries. I wouldn't highly recommend this school, but it's probably better than most other schools here next to religious schools. I have fond memories mostly because of the people I met and the great teachers that I've had.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted November 19, 2004

As a senior at antioch, i have enjoyed my four years of education. We may not have the best communication or education levels, but no school is perfect. Since i have been here, things have really picked up. We have more security and more adult involvement. I have been happy here, though there is a lot of negativity. I believe it all starts at home. You have to give respect to receive it and most kids here haven't learned that. But don't move or give up, be more involved. If you don't like the way things are going, step up about it.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

489 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

435 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

444 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

546 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

488 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

367 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

291 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 67%N/A55%

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• Gym

Foreign languages taught
  • German
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

Music
  • Band
  • Orchestra
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1900 Hobson Pk