No rating

Brentwood Academy

Private | 6-12 | 745 students

Living in Brentwood

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $371,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,090.

Sweep tile

Posted February 17, 2012

As a student here at BA, I believe that this school has several strengths, and several weaknesses. In order to effectively organize the many aspects of high school life, I will give my rating for all the various aspects along with an explanation. Academics A- As great as 12 state football championships, or world-class training facilities seem, when it comes down to it, the most important thing you should look for in school is the academics. MOST of the teachers I have had have been nurturing and challenging to me which I have greatly appreciated. Although I would appreciate a better variety of AP classes, I am very impressed with the wide selection of courses. The main downside to their academic program is the teacher/coaches. In my four years at BA 1 out of 8 of my teachers that were also coaches have been satisfactory. The rest have been lazy, and not truly focused on teaching. Athletics C- As famous as BA is for their athletic program, I truly believe it is their main downfall. Students receive playing time based on how much their parents donate to the school, and how great of friends their parents are with the coaches. The facilities are great though. Spiritual A

Posted August 6, 2009

BA has been a great fit for my child. She needed to be challenged academically and I feel the honors courses at the middle school level have been great in preparing her for H.S. and college. The school personnel has also offered a loving and christian environment during the difficult middle school years!

Posted June 26, 2009

We have been disappointed with the school. The overemphasis on athletics continues to this day. Academics are okay but dont rank with the best, and given the cost of tuition I would hope for better. There are some wonderful kids and the school but the student body is very homogenous - if you exclude the athletes.

Posted August 26, 2008

Incredible school. Yes, the athletics are very good, why would people complain about that? This creates great school spirit and pride for athletes and students in the stands. There is not separation between the athletes and non-athletes like other posts say. The family atmosphere you get here can not be compared with MBA, Harpeth Hall, and Ensworth. Those three schools offer incredible education, but from what I have heard, they do not teach students about relationships, and character. Brentwood Academy was like a family to me, from the students, to the coaches, to the teachers. I have graduated from college, and still communicate with several coaches and teachers. I can not say enough how much these adults affected me as a young man.

Posted July 18, 2008

I am a graduate of this school and a former Student Body President. Like any other endeavor in life, you will get out of this experience what you put into it. The beauty of this school is the atmosphere that fosters achievement and participation. They recognize you are NOT an island, but must work with others, be it in athletics or the classroom or other activities. The school is not designed to be as intense academically as a few others around town, but you CAN receive as good of an education. The focus is on being well rounded and experience more than just one aspect of your life's journey. When I went, we had to clean up the school ourselves. Honestly, I now appreciate that as being one of the best ways to respect property and learn humility. It also fostered an air of equality as NO ONE was exempt.

Posted July 5, 2008

This school, is only focused on athletics. They say they teach Christianity, Athletics, and Academics equally! Well, thats not true! The academics they teach are about hmm.....a third grade level! but hey!...the students are pretty good athletes, and the teachers are sarcastic!

Posted October 19, 2007

I'm a freshman at Brentwood Academy. I have had a terrible experience with the academic program. If you're not the best, your not worth anything. Disreguarding the althetic program, the teachers are great and i'm learning so much. My brother who gratuated a couple years ago says college iss easier compared to Brentwood Academy and they really set you up for whats coming next in your life wheather it be spiritual or academic.

Posted February 16, 2007

I can give you the student perspective. I graduated from BA in 2005 and I absolutly loved my time there and I couldnt amagine being anywhere else. And just for the record, the previous posters remark about the sprituality at BA being a joke is preposterous. The spiritual life department is amazing, I grew so much as a Christian. Yes I admit athletics are big at BA, football season is very dominant. However thats not the only thing BA excells in or is known for. The fine arts department is incredible, before you judge BA as a 'sports school' I dare you to pick up a copy of the Academy Singers CD or see a play,you will be amazed. Any of your children would be lucky to go there, you wont find the 'BA Family' at MBA or Ensworth. I attend UT now and still am close with my BA Friends
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 27, 2006

This school has met my expectations in all aspects. I've got two children currently attending and one that has graduated. This school provides my children with academic challenges, physical challenges and has given them a spiritual purpose outside church. The teachers nurture the student but also challenges them to be the best they can be. The leadership of both the upper and middle school are top notch. Always available never hidden in their office. They also teach and counsel the students. Fall of 2006 there will be a fine arts building built for music, art, drama etc. The school fine arts program is just as solid as athletics. Athletics is a big part of the students life. Not just school team events but the overall health of the student. Brentwood Academy believes a healthy student will succeed in the classroom and become a healthy adult, as Jesus wants us to be.

Posted January 15, 2006

My son is currently in the 6th grade at BA. He absolutely loves it! Prior to our first visit, we had heard that BA was primarily geared for athletes so we were a little skeptical. Though athletics are a focus, there is greater emphasis on academics and spirituality. The top notch teachers constantly challenge the students to go beyond there perceived limits and to always use there God given abilities. My son is also a band member. We could not have found a better school!

Posted January 14, 2006

My son has been at BA for 5 years since 6th grade, and has absolutley loved being there. While every school has its drawbacks, we have have found the education and social experience to be top rate.

Posted January 9, 2006

Great school. Opportunities for Drama, Chorus, Sports, and many other extra curriculars. Strong AP and honors level classes.

Posted June 21, 2004

Im actually a student at Brentwood Academy, I am going into my senior year and have been with BA since I was a Freshman. I moved to Tennessee when I was fourteen, and I knew nobody when I started school. I was amazed at how fast I was welcomed into the BA family and I made friends so quickly with these amazing people who have such an amazing love for God. I constantly see Alumni in our halls and now I know why, BA is truly a blessing to be a part of.

Posted February 23, 2004

BA has done for my children just what we had hoped-it identified their strengths and weaknesses and prepared them extremely well for the next educational level-academically, athletically, socially, emotionally and spiritually.

Posted December 1, 2003

Brentwood Academy is very much a family enviroment, with students, parents, and alumni involved and interested in the events of the school. Athletics have notoriously been a focus at BA, but recently the Fine Arts Department has exploded. There is much support for the Forensics program, the dance team, and other new activities. At this school, there is much emphasis on academic excellence and pressure to succeed in general. Though some students do not thrive in this environment, on the whole the school is successful in preparing its students for life, while nurturing them along the way.

Posted August 31, 2003

It has been a great experience for our entire family. I have 2 daughters that attend and they love it. My wife and I are both involved and really enjoy the other parents. Would highly recommend.

Posted August 25, 2003

The school is amazing and I loved my time there but the current headmaster is not as good as the past headmaster and the school puts a great deal of emphasis on fundraising now, which it didn't before. Suddenly it seems as if the money kids bring in is more important than the kids themselves, but the principals and staff at the school are still top-notch
—Submitted by a former student

Asian 1% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • ACSI
  • NAIS

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

219 Granny White Pike