No rating

Montessori Academy

Private | PK-7 | 194 students

Living in Brentwood

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $371,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,090.

Posted April 11, 2012

My daughter has attended MA for seven years now, and she is having an exemplary educational experience. MA has wonderful, dedicated, nurturing teachers at all grade levels. They take the time to truly get to know the children, to celebrate their strengths while giving them the time and attention to improve in their weaker areas. It is a school where academic excellence is balanced with the goal of educating the whole child. There is a strong dedication to peace, and conflict resolution is built into the curriculum from the time the children enter the school. I know that my daughter is receiving a wonderful educational foundation, and I also know that she is respected and cared for deeply by her teachers and the community of MA. This is truly a great school!

Posted April 10, 2012

Both of my children have attended MA and have had a very positive experience. My son was accepted to Duke TIP while at MA and again in 7th grade and is doing well academically at his new school. My daughter is thriving in the art and music program. Overall, we are very happy with the education and the enrichment. The Science program is very strong and teachers nurturing. Great environment for success.

Posted April 10, 2012

I worked at the Montessori Academy as a student teacher, and found it a nurturing environment where administrators concern is for the student as a whole person. Teachers are responsible not only for academic growth, but also support students in areas of physical fitness, and social awareness. Students work together, conscious of the effect their actions may have on others. As in any school, the students are not always confident in expressing ideas, or feelings. Montessori Academy teachers and administrators model positive communication, and camaraderie, as they meet together often to formulate individual plans for students maturation in all areas. Likewise, students hold regular meetings to brainstorm ways of contributing to the outside community, to find healthy resolutions for classroom issues, and to recognize the gains others are making in scholastic and personal growth. I have observed students in many elementary schools, but I am always most impressed with the interactions of those who study within a Montessori environment. The students and teachers at Montessori Academy function as a family, holding each other accountable, and treating each other with respect and openness.

Posted April 10, 2012

We have been at Montessori Academy for 5 years and we've NEVER had a problem with bullying! Kids will be kids and I hope parents know the difference!!!! The teacher are great and really care about the children there! The education they are receiving is incredible and i have always admired how the teacher let the CHILDREN work out their difference in a civil and respectful way!

Posted March 8, 2012

My children have attended MA the last five years and have grown not only academically but socially as well. The nurturing environment in the primary level builds confident children; the primary teachers who work there are excellent at what they do and their love for the children shows. In kindergarten the kids learn so much the curriculum is built to give them a well-rounded education with an emphasis in reading and math. Both my children were reading a few grade levels above as they entered first grade. In elementary, each of my children has blossomed - the Montessori method really does work. As for bullying, I just cannot believe that this is running rampant as some other reviewers suggest. If I have ever had a situation with my child and another, the teacher handled it immediately. I have a good network of other parents, and after talking with them, we all agree that this idea that bullying is a problem here just isn t the case. Montessori Academy is a premier private school and the quality of education received cannot be challenged by of the more expensive private school s in the area.

Posted February 21, 2012

Wide spread bullying, admistration don't have any interest in proactively dealing with the situation, hopefully it won't end up being at a students emotional or physical expense.

Posted January 5, 2012

We attended this school for 3 years (one yr in lower school and 2 in upper school). The lower elementary school was good (wonderful teachers), but two years in upper elementry was major disappointment - waste of money and time. As the previous reviewer stated - the administration just didn't care - they literally drove families and their good teachers away. They turn blind eyes to wide spread bullying and brag on local paper saying there was no bully at this school. Started from upper elementar, they didn't practice Montessori method as much as they did in lower school. They mearly put up shows on open house day for the parents by laying our Montessori materials and adviced students to act the "Montessori way". For some strange reasons, they discourage face to face communication between parents and teachers...We felt being kept in dark a lot. Overall, there was no vision, no leadership..and I felt they were ruining the good name fo Montesorri. This critism is mainly aimed at admin. not teachers...many teachers we know were very dedicate, and full of love and passion for kids.

Posted April 15, 2010

Since my last review in 2006, my older son has graduated from Montessori and is doing well in his new school. He is enrolled in all the honor programs in his new school. This was possible because of the excellent education he got at Montessori. My younger son who is now in 4th Grade is doing very well at Montessori. The love for reading and a keen interest for learning builds a strong foundation for future. I think this school is one of the best in Tennessee. -- Pinky S

Posted August 12, 2009

After transferring to Montessori Academy from another reputable Montessori school in the South, we found MA to be a disappointment. We found MA, although accredited, practices as a traditional daycare with a few Montessori materials. We found poor academics that required us to supplement their education at home, large classrooms of 37, no school security, infrequent janitorial services, disorganized carpool, no computer learning, xeroxed copies of copyrighted materials, too many plastic bead crafts, and mandatory 2 hour naps that we felt kept our kids from their learning potential. We believe a few dedicated teachers, without benefits, cannot makeup for the poor administration and lack of finances at MA. My children begged to go back to their former Montessori school. We had one chance at a good Kindergarten year at lost it at MA!

Posted July 28, 2009

With several years attending the school, I can easily say that the preschool program is a phenomenal start for children; however, our elementary experience has been underwhelming. Parents should not be the ones directing the program for their kids, but that's how it has been for us (and several other parents in our class). We've talked with the teachers several times, and are giving it one more year to see if there's an improvement. From an administration standpoint, there seems to be an overall lack of care whether students attend or not. Brenda has been a huge asset to the school in terms of marketing the program, setting up a monthly newsletter, and working to keep parents more engaged. Our goal was to get our children in the school and not leave until the program ended. I am hopeful things have changed over the summer and there is a renewed commitment to excellence.

Posted February 28, 2009

My daughter has been at Montessori Academy for her Pre-K year and we have absolutely loved it! Her educational and social experience could not have been better. She has not had a morning when she was not excited to go to school! I highly recommend this school for others as well.

Posted July 30, 2008

I have had a child at this school for 4 years. Yes the school did go through some trying times a couple of years back but with the devoted staff and parents working together everything seems to be working just fine now. My son is very happy here at MA. The multi-age class rooms are great for the children. I think that anyparent that will give MA a chance will also be happy with their child's education and the adminstration.

Posted June 25, 2008

We are very pleased and blessed by Montessori Academy. From the natural beauty of the grounds to the class atmosphere, the school really is a very special and enriching learning environment. My daughter is thriving within this education-centered and safe environment. I do admit that the lower elementary is far more worth the educational experience. Lower E and Pre-K are worlds apart. I recommend MA to parents of an only child especially a gifted-child who needs to be challenged academically and artistically. Your future scientist or first-chair violinist will absolutely love it!

Posted May 26, 2008

We have been at Montessori Academy for 4 years now and I have toured`many schools before I decided to put my daughter here and we love the school. My daughter enjoys learning and being a part of montessori community. My husband and I would work two jobs just to be able to afford this school. The teachers and administration cares so much about the individual student. Education is priceless and to find a school that cares less about test scores is such a blessing. I recommend this school to everybody.

Posted May 2, 2007

The quality of education is going down since they are having financial problem. They are more focus towards to reconstruct/ gain number of students instead of education. One year they have German class but not next year. no consistency. They are letting go a lot of experienced teacher and putting more new teacher with no teaching experience. Also, expansion of lower elementary playground was promised, but never done, yet. Unless you go ask teacher about something, no individual communication between parents and teacher, only school/ class note. No school security system.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • AMS
  • SACS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6021 Cloverland Dr