Bad
Good

My son graduates from Austin East this May and Principal Benny Perry and the staff have done an excellent job of turning this school around. Initially I did not want my son to attend, but now I am glad he did. Also the Project Grad staff does everything they can to make sure seniors apply and get scholarships.

I live by the school and their high school when games are going on the noise is affecting most of the neighborhoods sleep and family time.They have to keep the students til four o'clock just to help the kids learn more. They have a lot of fights and the athority is low and really do not take affect.The school should be improved by helping the students instead of letting the students do what they want.

i am a substitute teacher at Austin East for the past two years.I am sad to say that the majority of the students seem little interested in an education, they are more concerned with their cell phone and their i pad than they are about their books. Many have a "no care attitude." I have heard some pitiful stories from among the students about their home life. Very few students live with both their mother and their father and many live with only one parent or a grandparent. Austin East is filled with some great teachers who study and plan and teach hard but if a student does not wish to learn then all the teacher's efforts are in vain. I am saddened to see freshmen girls already expecting a baby and their are several confessing lesbian relationships. The answer must begin in the home with parents seeing to it that their children care about an education. My father had an old fashion method of getting my attention, many don't use it today, it is called "a belt." If AE continues on the road it is on, it is DOOMED in the near future!

I would like to thank assistant principal, Mr Caruthers, for his hard work for my kids. Several of them have told me personally that if not for his care and genuine concern they would no longer be in school period. Hats off to you Mr Caruthers, That is the type of administration we need in Knox County. May you go places in your career.

This school is struggling with fighting battles. As a parent, it appears the principals do not share the same vision. It makes me feel sorry for not only my child and other students, but for some of the teachers there as well. I have watched some teachers try their best every day only to be rejected and outright wronged by students, parents, and the administrative team just to have a more positive 'perception'. Those in control of AE need to recognize that ideas that look good on paper should be trashed if they aren't working in real life. Teachers who have been there forever and perpetuate the culture of failure should be fired as they bring down the teachers with expectations. Being a good community contact is not a requirement in the classroom. Having high expectations and holding students to reach their potential is NOT a bad thing.

This school includes a great group of students excelling in Performing Arts and with academic achievment.The only bad thing about Austin East is the bad reputation brought from outsiders looking in!

There are some good programs and great teachers. We had a problem and after a lack of response from the administration I transferred my child to another school.

If you must let the hoodlums in the school at least get them to check the 'HOOD' attitudes, the drugs and the weapons at the door. If you don't want to learn leave the seats for those who do!

I am a graduate of AE. My entire family also graduated from AE. I must say that I am shocked at how low this school has gone. It saddens me to know that so many students do not care about an education, thus they disrupt the class so that the kids who want to learn must suffer. I am happy that the school has been restructured and I applaued the teachers who try. Parents, it is up to you to structure your home, so that your children will succeed.

Last modified Austin East High/Magnet is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.