No rating

Grace-St Lukes Episcopal School

Private | PK-8

We are best known for excellent program and outcomes.

Living in Memphis

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $128,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $610.

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted April 11, 2014

GSL is an amazing school that manages to balance solid academics with a warm, friendly community atmosphere.

Posted September 12, 2013

Our son has been attending GSL starting in PK and is now in the 2nd grade. We cannot say enough good things about this school - it is fantastic! The teachers and staff are wonderful and truly care about the children. Would not consider going anywhere else.

Posted July 9, 2013

I am speaking from the perspective of someone who not only attended this school from mother's day out to 8th grade, but flourished both during and after my time at Grace-St. Luke's. While there I participated in Theatre, Athletics, Student Government (President), as well as many clubs. I believe that there is not a better place to send your child because you are guaranteed both a great education and a staff who genuinely loves and cares about you and your children. Area high schools actively recruited GSL students (including me) because of their academic strength and leadership experience. Upon arriving in high school after GSL, I quickly realized that the other GSL graduates and myself were the most prepared and well-rounded students in attendance. I love Grace-St. Luke's, its teachers, its students, and its atmosphere that set the foundation for my current successes. I am now attending one of the best public universities in the US on a significant scholarship and I can guarantee that I would not be where I am today if it was not for the values and knowledge instilled in me at GSL. I can truly say that I AM an anchor for life.

Posted June 18, 2013

I am a Grace St. Lukes alum, and I can honestly say that I enjoyed every minute of time at GSL. It is no secret that middle school years are a bit awkward for most kids, but GSL did a great job of making everyone feel comfortable and welcome. It was hard to leave, but I knew that everything that I learned here would transfer to high school and beyond. I am so happy and grateful that I got to spend my lower and middle school days at such an amazing place!

Posted May 16, 2013

Gace-St. Luke's Episcopal School is an "anchor for life", which is the school motto. Our children have obtained a solid foundation in the key areas of learning, great moral and ethical values, and have made lifelong friendships. The teachers and administration are wonderful, and the family atmosphere and participation creates an extremely positive environment for learning.

Posted April 23, 2013

I've had two children at GSL for years, and we all absolutely love it. The teachers are remarkable -- top-notch, creative, caring, inspiring. With the opening of the Anchor Center building a few years ago, the school's facilities made a quantum leap ahead. Fantastic science labs, art rooms, gym, cafeteria, library and more. The best things about GSL are the nurturing environment and the challenging curriculum. The kids are encouraged to think, often "outside the box," and much attention is focused on individual paths to success. They embrace the idea that kids learn differently; each child is unique. GSL has always felt like an extended family... a home away from home for my kids.

Posted April 5, 2013

GSL has been a wonderful experience for my whole family. As a GSL graduate, I was very well prepared for a competitive single-sex high school and wanted the same nurturing and academically challenging environment for our children. Our favorite things about GSL are the parental involvement and community, the excellent teaching and creative instruction, emphasis on developing the children's character as well as academic preparation for high school, and its welcoming and inclusive but unapologetically Episcopal tradition. Previous reviews mentioned lack of diversity, but it is no less diverse than most private schools in Memphis. We chose GSL for our kids partly because 70% of GSL households are dual-income families, which is about as close to "real world" as you can get in a private school setting. I have heard from several teachers at other area high schools (public and private) that they love getting GSL students--a very high compliment, I think!

Posted March 24, 2013

My son attended Ms. Lee's for Junior Kindergarten at GSL and we were really disappointed. He is attending Snowden Elementary for Kindergarten and the experience has been far superior. GSL school as a community has a hard time looking honestly at itself and seeing its own shortcomings. It is geared towards married, caucasion parents rather than towards working and middle class parents. H They are neither ethnically nor culturally div. They did a great job of emailing us photos of all of the fun things our child was doing in school but never gave us any information on what we needed to do to get him ready for kindergarten. Then, in the spring, they informed us that he did not know the things he needed to know for kindergarten and gave us the impression that they thought he might always struggle. They indicated that they had just learned this when he was tested two weeks prior, even though there were two teachers w/masters for 13 kids. Since we left, our child tested as having a genious IQ, got accepted in the optional program and his teacher recommended him for CLUE. He is also a competitive chess player at only 6. Oh, & the so-called masters his teacher had? Uni of Phoenix.

Posted March 12, 2012

My children have attended GSL for five years. It is an excellent school: committed teachers and administration; strong family community; and a nurturing environment. We are leaving the Memphis area soon, and we are struggling to replicate all that GSL offers in our new community. It offers academic challenges for those who need it, and it supports those who need help. If you can afford the tuition, I would highly recommend considering this school. It especially appeals to Central Gardens residents - many children walk or bike to this school with no concerns for safety.

Posted November 30, 2011

We could not be happier with GSL. The school community is close-knit and supportive, the academics are challenging but realistic, teachers are top-notch and the 'whole child' focus makes it exactly what we would want in a school. Also, there is a huge amount of school spirit and it is a fun place to be!

Posted August 18, 2011

We have had fantastic experiences here, our daughter is very happy and well challenged. The teachers are great!

Posted November 9, 2010

I have had two children attend this school, both as transfers. We never had a problem with GSL, and have no complaints. When one of my children graduated from GSL and went on to a public high school, he was well ahead of the other students in reading and language. My daughter made great friends and had very good, attentive teachers. It is a bit pricey, but nonetheless, an excellent school that I would not hesitate to recommend.

Posted January 1, 2010

GSL is the best school your child could go to. I have toured this school before and it is amazing. At Gsl everyone is nice to you and they welcome you. Currently the school is working on a new building, so they will have new classrooms, a new art room, a new gym, and a new science lad. Like I said before GSl is an amazing school and I hope you will choose for your child to go here.

Posted February 27, 2009

Their English department could definitely use some help. The science program is exceptional.

Posted February 10, 2009

I have been a parent at this school for many years. While my children have had many great opportunities there, our experience with the athletic program has been less than positive. I do not feel that the 'win at all costs' mentality of the school is appropriate for this age group and the program in general is lacking in leadership.

Posted February 8, 2009

The post earlier states that GSL has nothing more nor less to offer than every other school. The speaks to point of Value Added. What is the value added by attending GSL compared to other schools. While there is much value, GSL is the only coed Episcopal PK-8 School in Memphis. Therefore it provides a focused education for both boys and girls in an Episcopal setting uniquely designed for that age group of children. The curriculum, activities, teachers are all focused for children in pre, elementary and middle school. Our programs are not dictated by high schools but are designed for the specific age groups we serve.

Posted November 25, 2008

I love gsl everyone is so nice and cares about you. GSL is building a new building and it is going to be amazing. I have been going to gsl for 9 years and I am the vice president and loved every second at gsl
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 26, 2008

My children, like all children, have experienced both successes and struggles during their years at Grace-St. Luke's, and I can honestly say the faculty and staff at every level are the most caring, dedicated professionals I've encountered in any educational setting. They regularly go above and beyond for the students at GSL, and I think that's what makes the school such a special place.

Posted February 12, 2008

Grace St. Luke's has a lot of work to do to warrant the high tuition they are charging. The campus is tiny and the buildings are old and outdated. The athletic program is extremely weak and poorly run as compared to other private schools in the city. Discipline is lacking in the middle school. The teachers are the one bright spot. They are dedicated and hardworking and the circuluum has been improved recently.

Posted January 31, 2008

We love Grace-St. Luke's. We are student's there and we can't imagine going anywhere else after eighth grade. This will be in two years. We love the coed environment. --GSL Girls ---GSL students
—Submitted by a student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 2%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Arts & music

• French

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Thor A. Kvande
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Episcopal
Associations
  • NAIS
Fax number
  • (901) 272-7119

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

Performing arts
  • Creative writing
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook