Richland Elementary School

Public | PK-6

Posted October 2, 2008

Richland Elementary is a wonderful school. Excellent Principal, Great Teachers, and a hardworking, dedicated PTO!

Posted October 2, 2008

We love Richland! Great teachers, great school. Wonderful PTO involvement. We couldn't be happier with the education our son is getting there.

Posted April 22, 2008

This is the best elementary school in Memphis.

Posted April 16, 2008

As a parent of three children, two of which are currently enrolled at Richland, I cannot say enough about this school!! The teachers are amazing, parental involvement is outstanding, and the principal is great. My third grader is reading on the 11th grade level and my formerly shy kindergartener has blossomed under the leadership of his amazing teacher. This is the best school in the Memphis area- where else can you get a free education that equals, and even surpasses, most area private schools?

Posted March 31, 2008

This school is Tops in every category. To enroll our child in KK, my Wife and I had to wait in several long lines at the Board of Edu. on numerous occasions to get the opportunity to register. It was well worth the time we spent! Our daughter is a straight-A student in the second grade. I am most impressed by the parent involvement at the school. Everything from Parents On Patrol, (POP), Dads of Great Students (Watch D.O.G.S), and the Parent Teacher Organization (PTO). Richland is not a Title I school which means they do not get some state $$. Richland does quite well with the PTO fundraisers and events. I am thankful for the outstanding leadership of the Richland PTO and all of the hard work they do to enrich the children's education.

Posted April 4, 2007

I just love this school. My child has special needs and their counsler and teachers have worked very hard with us as parents. It's nice having them there for both our support as well as our child's. I would highly recommend them. There are also many things going on within the school to stay active and be involved in the community. I am a very proud parent.

Posted March 20, 2007

We love Richland! My daughter has been there for 2 years and my son will start KK there next year. The principal is excellent, the teachers are wonderful and the curriculum is first rate. And I am a teacher so I feel like I know what things to look for. The thing that really pulled us there was the parent involvement. Richland has been selected as one of the top parent involvement programs in the state of TN twice in the past and still maintains a huge PTO group which contributes in innumerable ways to the school, including thousands of $$ from fundraising efforts. I am so glad there is a 'choice' in our public schools and encourage anyone who is on the fence to attend one of Richland's monthly tours.

Posted February 22, 2007

My child started this school this past August. I am so happy with this school. Last year, she was in private school and this year we decided to send her to public school. This school has far exceeded my expectations. I am satisfied with my child's teacher and the school principal. This has been truly a great experience for us. We plan to send my daughter back to this school next year.

Posted September 20, 2006

This school has been great even though my child has some special needs, they have been great. We love the amount of parent envolvement here. Parents these days are going to have to do this if they want to change the future of public schools in this city. Take responsibility.

Posted June 8, 2006

We have 2 children at Richland and I must say we have been pleasantly surprised with the quality of teachers and faculty available to us. The principle is proactive and responsive to the needs of the students and the parents. As with most things, you get out of the experience what you put into it. Active involvement in the school's PTO and the many school programs and activities is a must! Parental involvement is strongly encouraged.

Posted February 4, 2006

My children recently enrolled in this school.I feel the school is overrated and that the leadership wants to keep minorities away. We have never felt welcome and I feel they systematically fail children based on race

Posted December 1, 2005

My husbnad and I moved into the neighborhood so that our daughter could start Kindergarten @ Richland. We have not been disappointed. Richland is an excellent school w/ a lot of parent involvement. The teachers are great and security is taken very seriously.

Posted November 26, 2005

My son has attended Richland for 2 years. It was an adjustment coming from private school. The principal made me feel good leaving my child everyday and I knew he was in good hands. He had a wonderful year and learned much. This year his teacher has worked hard to do whatever she can to help my child succeed. I appreciate their patience with all children. It is great to be apart of the Richland Family.

Posted April 12, 2005

As I have 2 older sons who attended private school, I decided to try public school for my daughter entering kindergarten. She spent 3 years at Richland, and I have regretted it many times since removing her. While the overall presentation of the school is impressive, she had a kindergarten teacher who was not in the least nurturing, and although many parents complained, nothing was done, as she has been 'in the system' for a long time. First grade was no improvement, and in retrospect, I realize I did harm to my daughter, as she has a perception of school as very stressful, and has been 'turned off' from learning. Now I'm trying to reframe her thinking after moving on to a private school which offers a more nurturing environment.

Posted January 24, 2005

Richland Elementary creates a nurturing environment for its students and instills a deep love for learning. The faculty and staff are outstanding. Both of my children have excelled at Richland. The CLUE program for the academically talented has allowed them to develop their higher thinking skills and supplements in class academic study. The level of parental involvement is high, with alot of support for the teachers. Richland is a jewel within the Memphis City School system.

Posted February 6, 2004

We transferred to this school since we do not live in this district. It is fabulous. The principal is fabulous. He knew our names and my daughter's name the 1st full day of school. We were impressed since we were new to the school! Parental involvement is great. The teachers are great. Wonderful after-school program. We love Richland!

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Writing

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 62% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

All Students76%

Economically disadvantaged54%
Students with disabilities50%

Students with disabilities78%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

Algebra I

English I

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 26%N/A55%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

5440 Rich Rd