Posted April 09, 2014
I am a current student at this school, and as everyone who goes any school, has complaints. Some teachers are very helpful and provide a great learning enviroment, while others are extremely demotivational. Last year, when I was a seventh grader, many teachers yelled and said we would end up in jail. (They yelled at us for talking to loudly during our lunch period, but it always came back to that, jail.) The staff often stereo-types the students, forgets promises, and does not discipline students who need it. Also, favoritism is everywhere when it comes to the jocks/athletes. All in all, I like it, but it needs some work to be in my top 10.

Ooltewah Middle School 4

Posted March 12, 2014
I am currently a student at OMS, and I feel that some of these reviews are a bit harsh. I don't agree with some of the previous comments. It may be because the comments are outdated. I have attended OMS the past 3 years, and I have enjoyed each year. I will admit that athletes and cheerleaders are given special treatment, but it is easy to look past that. The teachers have truly pushed me to work harder than I ever thought I could. Overall, I am pleased with my experiences at Ooltewah Middle School, and I feel that your child would feel the same way I do.

Ooltewah Middle School 3

Posted July 08, 2013
I am happy being at this school but if there was a private school around, i would want to go there. Most of the teachers care and will be fun sometimes. I don't truely see how the TCAP test scores are so high because quite a bit of the students don't do anything in class or at least act like they know anything. I am an honor roll student and find always have been but i find that a few teachers are harder and some just give busy work that you may or may not learn anything from. They need to challenge us more. There is favoratisem everywhere: cheerleaders and atheletes get the most speacial treatment out of everyone. I hate that because some of the atheletes and cheerleaders don't deserve to doing that stuff. If you make good friends and do what you're sapposed to do, like me, you'll be fine. And if you talk to the teachers about stuff including nonschool related topics, you could be teachers pet and have much more fun.

Ooltewah Middle School 3

Posted November 10, 2012
I went to this school from 2009-2012. The teachers didn't really care and the principals didn't either. Everytime my mom would call the school they would never answer. When you went to the office the secretary (Mrs. Harrison) would always be talking to another lady and you would have to wait 20+ Minutes just to talk to her! If your an athlete you get special treatment and special grade uplifts. Mrs. Rice was the only teacher who cared about you. She would take every second of time to make sure you succeeded. She was AMAZING.

Ooltewah Middle School 5

Posted March 07, 2012
We have been very pleased with OMS as a whole. I think the teachers are there for the students and we need to support the teachers. I do receive emails and notes from the staff as appropriate. They seem to plan a lot to keep the kids involved.

Posted May 09, 2011
I have to agree with prior comments. There is no communication between teachers, and/or the administration with parents. I have written e- mails, left voice mails for the principal, assistant principal and other staff, nothing. Not even an acknowledgement that the messages were received. I guess I have to go to the school board and let them know , that teachers are under the impression, that they can do whatever they want to do to students. That includes demeaning and unprofessional behavior.

Ooltewah Middle School 1

Posted June 01, 2010
Post before me must be from someone who works/worked at OMS or has some other tie to this school. I agree that parents need to be involved in their child's learning but when it boils down to it, they are sent to school for a reason and that reason is so the person with the degree can teach them. I'm not sure how OMS ends up with high scores because my child is an honor roll student there (consistently) and yet she has never heard of many things I knew when I was her age or grade in school! If this school was so great she would know these things and MUCH more. She is a smart child but even if she wasn't I think at this school she would still be making the honor roll. If you want your child to get a great education, pass on this school!

Ooltewah Middle School 5

Posted June 01, 2010
It seems to me that if a parent has a problem with their children learning it is extremely easy to blame the school or the teacher. From my experience with 6 children and 100+ foster kids in more than 20 years it is in fact not schools and teachers but often parents. Most kids today are NOT engaged and feel no need to be before they ever walk out of their front door. If you are plugged in to OMS, and involved with teachers, afterall you are partners in your child's education, you will see success. OMS is an excellent school with outstanding teachers. The teachers care and are concerned about all kids. OMS consistently scores in the top percentile for academic success. Teachers are professional and continue to earn high marks in their state evaluations and local recognition. You want your child to do well, get involved and see.

Posted May 25, 2010
As a student I did not like it, but that had to do with other students...mostly. Atheletes seemed to get special treatment and bullying was everywhere. I had a son attend this school for over 2 years, hated to see not much had changed. The bullying is still there strong as ever. I made a tough decision to let my son stay with his father during school years to avoid having to send him to this school. My other children will surely be attending private schools by middle school age! The teachers here for the most part are helpful and caring. Most of the parents dont want to admit when their child is dishing out the bullying and pretty much turning a blind eye to their behavior.

Ooltewah Middle School 1

Posted April 27, 2010
Agree with parent who says that the administration avoids parents. I actually left notes on the principal's door to call me about a serious matter at school, left several messages, and was ignored. I had to go to the school to find all of the principals yakking outside the day that my student was physically attacked by another student at school. The teachers don't communicate, there is no online grade or assignment checking system, and I haven't seen that my child has learned very much in this school except to not try to achieve. In addition, they take the children on extremely expensive field trips. Don't sign your child up if they might not can make the trip later! If you do, the teacher will threaten that you will 'pay now or pay later' and that they will hold the child's report card until you do.

Ooltewah Middle School
5100 Ooltewah Ringgold Rd, Ooltewah, TN  37363
Last modified Ooltewah Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ooltewah Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top