Sycamore High School

Public | 8-12

Posted September 10, 2013

Needs a complete overhaul in special education. Unbelievably pathetic. You better know your right and be ready to fight for everything.

Posted February 19, 2013

sycamore high school WAS a good school when it first started. This school does not do anything to help the students now . The teachers are lazy and sit and play on their i phones or i pads all day.if you are a cheerleader or play sports there you can wear and do anything they like ,but if you are heavy set ,have learning disabilities, medical issues you will be called out in a heartbeat. My daughter wore a pair of pants with holes in them and was called out about it in front of all her peers and while that was going on there was about 20-30 more students that was let go on by because of their participation in sport . They talk about not condoning bulling when the TEACHERS are the one doing the BULLYING.I wouldn't suggest any one sending their kid to this school.

Posted November 28, 2012

Sycamore is a good school. They have improved on academic requirements, and stiffer policies on bullying, missing school, and we now have a wonderful resource officer at our school. Sports is not the main focus on our school anymore, academics is.

Posted August 26, 2011

The school is a sinking ship. Most of the teachers that where DR's where let go after 2011. The athletes are treated different. Mainly the basketball team's.

Posted April 6, 2011

I did not like this school. There were a few decent teachers but academics were not the main focus, it was overcrowded, and many students ran wild. Sports were the big thing and I personally felt put aside for the more sport-interested students. I wouldn't recommend this school.

Posted March 28, 2011

Sycamore High School is a decent school. While athletics might seem to overshadow academics, academic success is still very prevalent within the school. Unlike most of the other comments that I have read previously, I have spent my first two years at college smooth-sailing thanks to my education at Sycamore. I guess it's better to stop complaining about not learning anything and simply apply yourself. Pick up a book for God's sake, and maybe then you will enjoy and respect the secondary learning institution that is Sycamore. Also, on a side note, I am very proud of the band program there. They have taken many hits over the years, but are slowly starting to reverse the tides...great job!

Posted April 5, 2010

I am a senior at sycamore right now. While the school is over crowded and small, it is a decent school. I definetly know of worse schools annd sycamore is above them.

Posted October 12, 2009

The high school seems to be a great school for my son that attends for the first time this year. He is in the 9th. grade and loves the high school. He seems much happier that in the high school then when he was in the middle school

Posted October 5, 2009

I am a graduate of Sycamore High School as well, and while I had a good time while in school there for four years, that doesn't mean it was a HELPFUL time. I think that if anyone needs a good indication of the quality of the education at the school, just go back and read the other reviews written by students, former and current, and check out how many incorrectly spelled words you can find. You should be able to SPELL in high school and beyond. Like I said though, I had FUN at school because I played sports and had good friends and nice teachers. However, when I went to college at The University of Tennessee the fall after I graduated, I felt could definitely tell that I had missed out on some critical things that were necessary for a freshman in college.

Posted February 17, 2009

I graduated from Sycamore over four years ago, and if nothing has changed then I would not recommend it. Don't get me wrong, I loved my high school, I loved my teachers, and I loved where I grew up but as far as preparing you for college--they're not so great at that. I am a graduate of, well, I won;t say where because the school is so small someone will probably find out who this is, anywho, I am a college graduate, but the transition was really shocking. Sycamore is awfully concerned with their sports rather than an education. There was a few wonderful teachers while I was there, including Mrs. Dodson who taught English and Creative Writing, but there was just a few out of possibly twenty-thirty teachers.

Posted October 1, 2008

Im currently a junior their and overall the school is ok but some of the teachers are not very good and i think its because they are low on teachers and the school is way over crowded and they will just hire anyone. Also, they are really not good at preparing for college at all! they are way more worried about sports,clubs, and attendance than anything academically.

Posted March 14, 2008

i used to go there...it was an awesome school.. a bunch of people said they hated but it's not a bad school at all... i loved the people there and it was small and it was in the country

Posted February 27, 2008

I am currently a senior at Sycamore High School. I concur that the school does seem more worried about sports than our actual education, but i also believe we have some great teachers that most students severely need for preparation for college. We have an abundance of prejudices and drug use, but you will find that everywhere. In conclusion, sycamore is just as average as any other school.

Posted December 16, 2007

im in sycamore right now i agree that is a very great school and i would choose sycamore

Posted September 7, 2007

Sycamore high school is a very odd school. they have slipped over the years This isn't the best school.

Posted August 6, 2007

I though sycamore was a great school, if you apply yourself. They have advanced classes, which work wonderful if you try. No teacher can educate a student that doesn't wish to learn. I graduated, and was prepared for college. All my teachers gave me the attention i asked for, and they all tried to help me. I will definately send my children there.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 21, 2007

I attend sycamore high school currently and while its not the best school ever its not 100% horrible. This year it has tightened down alot and they are really doing good. Most of the teachers this year are really strict on everything and I have to say that while I've attended better schools, this one is pretty good for a low-budget, low-profile, school.

Posted February 10, 2007

I am a student at Sycamore and I love it, I don't care what people say about it. It's the best school in our area. No, we don't have all the extra curricular classes here, but that's why we have the opportunity to go to Cheatham and take vocational classes. It's not all about sports either. I don't play any sports and I can still say that. It has really good acedemics. I've talked to people who've gone to other schools and they've said that Sycamore is a lot harder and you have to actually work to earn your grades here. The best thing about Sycamore is that you know you're always in a safe environment. I never have to worry about gangs, or getting 'beat up' or even getting sexually harrassed at school. I would recommend this school to anyone who cares about good education and safety.

Posted December 8, 2006

I am a student at Sycamore High School and I think all of you who think Sycamore is a bad school are crazy.

Posted August 19, 2006

I would just like to say that I'm a current student at Sycamore High School. I really don't care what the other reviews say, Sycamore is a great school to attend. The only thing I don't like now is the tardy rule. If your late you get after school detention. All that's going to do is make kids not go to school if they know they're going to be late. Sycamore isn't all about sports. The teachers care about the students' grades. The only other thing is the Foreign languages. The only languages that are offered here are French and Spanish.

Math

The state average for Math was 41% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 47% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 82% in 2013.

Writing

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

Reading/Language Arts

Science

Social Studies

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

155 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

147 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

177 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

179 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

240 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 39%N/A55%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1021 Old Clarksville Hw