Powell, TN
Students enrolled: 1,422

Powell High School 3

Posted May 22, 2013
I am a Powell alum (class of 2001). I attended college out of state, but I've had the priviledge of returning to Knoxville for my career. While the Powell community is still an excellent town to be a part of, it is no secret that rezoning has certainly changed the dynamic at the high school. I do some volunteer work at the school, and from my perspective, rezoning has caused multiple problems. Overcrowding problems and demographic/culture issues are apparent. It's hard to believe how much this school has changed. While I believe that the faculty/staff at Powell is still top-notch, the student experience isn't what it once was. 10 years ago, Powell was on par with a school like Karns. Now, I think it is more comparable to a school like Central.

Posted February 07, 2013
I graduated from Powell High School and both of my children have graduated from Powell High School. While the school maintains a positive climate for students in spite of many changes to its population over the past ten years, it struggles to compete academically with other schools in the district and across the state. This has not been an effect of school rezoning even though many would like for everyone to believe that. Nonetheless, the school does an excellent job in promoting the well being of the whole student and offers many excellent opportunities to students through athletics, clubs, and other programs.The school is a direct reflection of the blue collar community that it serve and.if its academic programs ever match the competitive strength of its athletics, it would be the best overall school in Knox. Co.

Posted December 19, 2012
Powell High School is a very great school to attend. Although there is a surplus of troublesome students due to the rezoning, students who want to learn will be awarded. Teachers here really love their job and want their students to learn the required curriculum needed to graduate and/or attend college. Classes are very noticeably divided. Intelligent students will be paired with other smart kids while troublemakers are grouped together. This school, like all schools, does have its pair of troublemakers, but those who separate themselves from them will enjoy their time here. I highly recommend this school to all students. Powell High School: Class of 2013 University of Tennessee: Class of 2017

Powell High School 1

Posted September 25, 2012
I'm a sophomore at Powell High School and I used to enjoy going to this school my freshman year, but now-- this school is no longer enjoyable. They focus too much on sports and not academics and our students. All they care about is the football team. Theirs a lot of drama, and drug use. Believe it or not. Reminder, this is coming from a student. This school is also racist, and very judgmental. Overall, I DON T recommend this school.

Powell High School 3

Posted January 16, 2012
We moved here 7 years ago for the Powell school reputations. After the rezoning went into effect I saw major overcrowding, more conflict, students seem less tolerant and overall I am disappointed in the school. In comparison to where we came from Powell has better classes and academic achievements and some very good teachers. Wish the school board would see that the school is sliding back and make changes now to prevent it from losing the appeal it had that originally brought our family here. We parents should also do what is needed to make it a better environment.

Posted January 27, 2010
While the administration has really cracked down on being late to class and bathroom policies, I wouldn't want to go to any other school. We have a wonderful sense of school spirit and community at P.H.S. It's a very well-rounded school, with plenty of AP classes, extracurricular activities, and groups like FBLA, DECA, a newspaper team, and an annual staff. If a class is not available at PHS, students can ride the 'Byington Bus,' which takes them over to Byington at nearby Karns High School to take the classes they supply. All in all, it's a great school, not too much trouble with fighting like other schools in the area. The overpopulation of kids in the hallways can be troublesome at times, but you can make it through if you know which route to take.

Posted May 27, 2009
I am now a Junior at PHS (class of '11). I think its a decent school, the teachers are pretty good, though i do think its a bit overcrowded because of the re-zoning, but overall, i've had some pretty good times here. Marching band is amazing too!

Posted December 30, 2008

Posted October 14, 2008
I am a sophomore, (class of 2011) and the school's teachers here are amazing!

Powell High School 0

Posted August 15, 2008
powell high the so great and i'm a seniorto i just love it so much

Powell High School
2136 West Emory Rd, Powell, TN  37849
Last modified Powell High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Powell High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top