Harold B. Williams Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 703 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 11, 2014

My daughter is in the first grade at HBWE and she started Kindergarten at four years old (Just three weeks shy of her fifth birthday). I love this school! In fact, I am doing everything in my power to keep her there and it is more expensive for me to stay in this area but the school is so wonderful, that it makes me want to keep her there. They reinforce anti-bullying, compassion for those that are disabled and understanding, and always communicated with me with no issues. You become more like family versus just another student, just another year. The new principle is great and always has a smile on his face. When my daughter started riding the bus, she missed one day and the driver was concerned about her. I have also seen a large amount of parental support, which I did not expect. We have had a wonderful experience with this school and this has been the best decision that we have ever made by moving to this area. The schools score could easily be a ten.

Posted April 5, 2013

I have had two children in this school and will soon enroll the third. In 2010, we had a very bad encounter with the former principal (referred to in other reviews) and a teacher. So bad, in fact, that we pulled our child out mid-year. I would not have considered sending my second child had the principal in question not retired, and a new one brought in. The new principal is great -- very nice and welcoming. He stands and welcomes the kids each day as they come in. We have only had issue with the one teacher, but she is a complete nightmare and she is still teaching at HBWE. All the others have been fantastic. Concerning the fundraisers, I did find it disheartening that this year the students were pitted against each other, boys versus girls. If one gender collected more fundraiser $$, then the other gender would have to be their "slaves". My child was very concerned about having to be the "slave". I told her that she had rights and she didn't have to do that for anyone. Using the term "slave" and bringing gender into it was disappointing. However, I don't typically mind fundraisers as I realize they are needed. Facilities are great - no complaints there.

Posted May 27, 2010

very poor communication remember the key to succes is communication,commuciation, communication .... no leadership at all.

Posted April 26, 2010

My daughter has gone to HB Williams for four years and she has excelled academically thanks to the talented and caring teachers. I see a lot of complaints about the fundraisers, but public schools are so underfunded that these are necessary if the school is to provide quality education. Parents are only asked to contribute what they can or at least give their time to go out and find others who will contribute. Is this really too much to ask when the education of your child is at stake? If parents are not willing to be actively involved in helping the school provide a superior education to their children, then H.B. Williams might not be for them.

Posted August 10, 2009

ya'll don't have a clue! There can only be 4 fundraisers per school year. Like the other person said, every school in sumner county have many fundraisers. How do you think every 2nd-4th grade class has a smart board? They cost thousands of $$ for just one. Fundraisers are needed to buy many educational items that are not provided from the county. If you dont want to sell/buy anything than don't!! As for as a teacher being absent alot, do you think there could have been a family illness? My daughter has been at HB for 4 yrs. & my son now for 2 yrs. and have only great wonderful things to say about the teachers. They put in so many extra hrs. and money of their own to make sure that OUR kids have the best education.

Posted May 23, 2009

I am a parent of a first grader and wanted to commend the first grade teachers on what an awesome job they did on the last day of school with the first grade Luau! I was so impressed with how all of the teachers in the grade level teamed up together to provide so many fun activities that day versus just one classroom party. The children had such a fun day and it was such a great and memorable way to end such a great year. Way to go first grade!

Posted May 20, 2009

Our child has attended HB Williams for five years and is now moving on to middle school. It is with a heavy heart that 'we' leave HB Williams, but we realize our children grow and move on. I cannot say enough good things about the teaching staff and the leadership at the school. After reading some of the reviews, I am puzzled by remarks made about the office staff. I have always found them polite and welcoming. I have never been made to feel unwelcome at the school. I, too, am not crazy about the fundraisers, but realize that many of the amenities at the school were realized because of fundraising. Overall our experience with HB Williams has been positive and I will greatly miss everyone I have come to know and appreciate.

Posted April 23, 2009

Our son has gone to this school for 3 years. As many of the other parents that have written on this site, we too, moved to this area because of the schools. We heard raves about the school and the principal in particular. The year our child started K the school got a new principal. We have been extremely disappointed in her. We have received the VERY strong impression that 'parents are not welcome here.' Our son has some mild special needs and we felt we needed to be able to observe him in the classroom to accurately determine what his issues were. Absolutely not. We will say that his 1st and 2cnd grade teachers have been very compassionate and communicated very well with us and really did their part. Especially Ms. Hutchison - awesome teacher!

Posted December 10, 2008

My child has been at HB Williams for 4 years. I have been very pleased with the staff and the principal there. I have seen how hard everyone has been working to help make our school even better then it already is. There are the SAME amount of fundraisers at HB as at all of the other elemenrty school in our county. There are laws and guidlines each school must follow. HB and most other schools work hard to find ways to raise money that will not upset the parents. I have had to not participate in a few fundraisers due to my family not having extra funds at that time but I wasn't upset about it. I am thankful that there were parents able to help raise money, even if I couldn't. If you have a problem with a school, then you should find ways you can help them.

Posted October 10, 2008

I am writing another review because I do not see the one I wrote before. Most of the reviews here that I have read convey my feelings perfectly. The principal and office staff are incredibly lousy and fundraisers are absolutely ludicrous. I DO want my child to have the best education possible, but I cannot afford to buy things for all the fundraisers every year. Also, in order to help out, since I do not have alot of extra money, I did a great deal of volunteering in the school. After writing the principals 3 letters regarding fundraisers (with no response), I decided that I would no longer volunteer for activities or contribute to fundraisers. I encourage others to do the same. Our school may need funds, but so does my family, and we are BOMBARDED with fundraisers every year. I only wish I could put my children in another school.

Posted September 19, 2008

H.B. Williams has some of the best teachers and thankfully, my children have had the best. We also feel the vice-principal is very much in-tune with the children and their needs. She is extremely nice and has been a very positive influence. We are disappointed and discouraged though with the principal. There has been a lack of concern for the students and the parents. There is poor communication between the principal with the staff and parents. This is creating stress for everyone, including the students. We hope this year will be a positive one and that things will be resolved.

Posted July 1, 2008

I was a substitute teacher at this school in the 2006-2007 school year. Yes I did sub a lot. But, in the bigger schools, I generally did. Yes the cafeteria is noisy. Your dining room would be noisy too if you were trying to feed 900+ kids daily. Overall, I think this is a great school.

Posted April 22, 2008

I am a parent of a child at hb williams. I am very disappointed in the way the school is ran. The principal is unconcerning and seems to put raising money in front of the childs education. Their are many teachers who would rather have a sub than actually go teach. If I could afford it My child would be in a private school. Its a shame that our board of education will keep allowing this to go on.

Posted March 15, 2008

H.B. Williams is an awesome school. All of my daughter's teachers have been very dedicated to their job and to the children in the school. I think everyone who works at this school strives for excellence on a daily basis.

Posted February 10, 2008

I am a father/parent at this school and I have been very disappointed by a few things. First, the number and focus on fundraisers is completely out of control. It puts undue pressure on the children and serves as a sort of blackmail for the kids to get 'prizes'. The cafeteria noise is deafening and our child has had a substitute at least 20 days this year, and not a fully trained teacher. I expected better, especially after we researched the school and thought it was supposed to be very good. We have not found that to be the case.

Posted July 3, 2007

It is with mixed emotions that I write this review as the teachers are outstanding but the leadership of the school is a huge disappointment. The Leaders are closed minded and don't have the time of day to hear the parents out. There is a sub that yells at the kids and several parents have complained but they kept calling her back. The times I have gone and had lunch at the school the tables are sticky and dirty. Chairs have dried up ketchup and food on them and this is at 11:00 am. The children at the end of the lunch periods are to clean the tables - great but no janitor cleans them at the end of the day. In time the leaders may run off the wonderful teachers that put their heart and soul into their classrooms.

Posted February 14, 2007

I am a teacher and a parent of H. B. Williams. I have had 3 children attend this school. I think the teaching staff is wonderful. My children's teachers have always been very caring and loving. The reason for the fundraisers is due to the lack of funding from the state and/or county. If you want the best for your child, then you should be willing to help provide the best.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 17, 2006

My children are enrolled at H.B. Williams, and the comment on a previous review regarding office staff being

Posted April 26, 2006

I reviewed others' comments about this school before buying a home in White House. This school was given the highest ratings. After buying a house and enrolling my children here, I wish I had not done so. I have been bitterly and totally disappointed with the teaching staff and the administration. The school is constantly holding fund raisers and 'shaking down' parents for money. The office staff is rude, impolite and have a 'holier-than-thou' attitude. The quality of the education is no better than the school district we lived in prior to moving. My childrens' teachers are uncaring about their students, do not communicate well with the parents, lose their tempers in classes and insult the students. If I didn't have so much invested in my new home I would gladly take my children out of this school and not think twice about never looking back at H B Williams.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

143 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

143 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Writing

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 30%N/A55%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

115 South Palmer Chapel Rd