Wylie J High School 1

Posted November 23, 2010
Wylie has definately taught us everything we needed to know about small town Texas life. We have learned that if your grandparents weren't born here then your kid will always be on the outside looking in, which is strange behavior for a town that would have died years ago if not for the Air Force base. The school focuses only on TAKS and family/church relationships. New children will not be selected for "A" squad sports regardless of talent if there is no pre-existing relationship with the coach. The official stance on bullying is that the local kids are always innocent and that it doesn't happen because it is not tolerated. If you happen to have a child that requires any sort of special educational needs, don't bother enrolling; it will just frustrate you and put your kid further behind.

Posted October 05, 2009
A great learning environment where the teachers and faculty work together to make sure the students succeed.

Posted October 01, 2009
I did a lot of research before moving here from out of state and I thought I was making a good choice on Wylie. Every since my kids have started school this year (WHS and WJHS), they are hating it. I feel bad because I brought them here and the teachers and coaches just treat them like they are nobody. Wylie schools seem to be be a 'who you are' or 'Whose kid you are' instead of going off the actual talent of the child. Very, very disappointing. We are considering transferring our children to other schools. Which means I will be taking and picking the up but at this point I am willing to do that so that maybe my kids will enjoy going to school again.

Posted June 15, 2009

Posted March 02, 2009
There are a few dedicated teachers who put the needs of students first, but my over all experiene with these teachers is that if your child has any special needs or learns outside of traditional teaching styles, your child will not do well. The teachers have a self-righteous view that since they are Wylie they can do what ever they want. TAKS is geared toward white, middle to upper class students so of course Wylie's scores are great. However, school is more than TAKS and this is where Wylie is sadly lacking. Their advanced classes are simple taking the grade level above the student and make those students perform. There is little indepth discussions or hands-on activities. They do not look at current ideas but simply do more of the same. At some point, it will catch up with them.

Wylie J High School 4

Posted September 06, 2008
As a student going on his last year at Wylie Jr. High, I know most of the teachers and I do agree that they focus mainly on the T.A.K.S. testing--but hey, having a 99% of kids moving on because of obsession is better than only 50% making it because of the teachers not caring at all. If you ask me, I'd say that WJH is the best school I've had the privlege to learn in. 9/10

Wylie J High School 3

Posted August 26, 2008
Wylie schools focus almost obsessively on teaching to the TAKS tests, which leaves students with an unbalanced, incomplete education. We had to transfer schools, and it took nearly three months and numerous phone calls for the counselors to send my children's complete records to the new school system.

Posted December 18, 2007

Posted October 31, 2007

Posted October 02, 2004
Throughout the years, my daughter has attended several schools in the State of Texas. Never have i seen such dedicated teachers and staff as in the Wylie school system. My daughter has not been attending Wylie since the 5th Grade (she is presently in the 7th) and the quality of education that she is receiving is astonishing.

Wylie J High School
4010 Beltway South, Abilene, TX  79606
(325) 695-1910
Last modified Wylie J High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Wylie J High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews.