The Oakridge School

Private | PK-12

Living in Arlington

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $124,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $730.

Sweep tile

Posted March 9, 2014

I attended the Oakridge school a few years ago. The bullying issue is outstanding and the administration does little to nothing about it, in fact sometimes they just make it worse. The amount of PDA at oakridge is disgusting (in the high school) and it's hardly noticed, but when friends merely HUG it's frowned upon. The upper school also has a serious drug problem, 2 students were expelled my senior year alone for drugs, and many others sell ADHD medication that they don't need. A few of the teachers are AMAZING (senior english, theater, french, and the middle school science teachers) but the rest are just warm bodies, almost like substitutes. It's a lot of busy work! School only provides good "connections" for those it cares about (the ones with the most money). Honestly there are way better private (and public) schools out there.

Posted January 29, 2014

This school is amazing! I love the fact that I can be involved in so much from sports to musical theater (We are awesome!). The teachers are real people who care and help you. I love being an Owl and can't imagine a better school.

Posted November 27, 2013

My children have attended this school since Preschool (age 3) and are so far above their peers at other schools that it is amazing. My daughter, who is a junior, recently received a call from one of her friends at another are school who needed help writing a thesis statement. What?! Oakridge students learn how to write and research in Lower School. By the time they are in Middle School, writing research papers and presenting their findings to peers is just a normal part of their experience. Also, with the school's new Learn21 program, Oakridge is way ahead of the technology curve when it comes to giving students the skills they need to be responsible digital citizens, as well as sticking with traditional values and skills. I think the negative reviews here on this website do not represent the majority opinion. These parents are out of touch with what is going on at the school.

Posted November 17, 2013

My 11th son studying here and i have plan to move him out,the tution is too expensive and not equipvalent with the service or teaching quality.Don't let your kid in here or you will regret

Posted November 6, 2013

The Oakridge School is a very poor educational facility. The academics are consistently interrupted by scheduling meaningless activities for the during class time, such as "Family Time". This is particularly true in the middle and high school level. Rarely is there a full week of instructional time. While there are a few good teachers there, most are not. They don't have any classroom control and they don't care about teaching which is evident in how they interact with their students. The administrators turn a blind eye to problems in the school and pretend it is wonderful. I would doubt they have had any prior experience or educational training for their positions. Lots of bullying and out of control students. The athletics are substandard. The teams can't compete with other schools in their conference. The facilities of both the classrooms and gyms are poor. What other school uses their cafeteria for a gym that charges close to 20K a year for tuition. Anyone considering this school is wasting their child's education along with their money. Before sending your child here compare it to other private schools to see what you are not going to get from Oakridge.

Posted July 10, 2013

Thanks to the parent for insight into the math curriculum that Oakridge uses. I now realize why my child's math scores are dropping every year. I can't understand why they would continue to use a math program that so many states have dropped, especially Texas. Now I wonder about the curriculums for the other subjects? Inflated daily grades but low standardize test scores seem to be the norm for Oakridge. Public schools suffer with No Child Left Behind. Oakridge suffers with No Child Let Ahead!

Posted July 8, 2013

The Oakridge School of Arlington does have some excellent teachers but others are just a warm body. I would not let my child attend middle school there due to meeting some of the teachers at events away from the school and hearing reports about lack of respect and morals and bullying occurring in the middle school. Due to lack of a nonreglious private high school in Arlington our child did transfer for high school that was the only choice. But, since my child was not a "sporty" kid their was a feeling of being the odd one. There are honors classes and ap classes but since many universities are not accepting ap awards (my child's public instate university did not accept a 5 on ap history exam as an example) dual credit would be a better choice but is not even given any thought having so many ap courses offered looks good in the brochure. My child was discouraged from going to a local college in the summer and was told that Oakridge would not accept any dual credit coures.

Posted June 9, 2013

Oakridge could be a great school but the Lower School insists on using EveryDay Math for grades 1 to 5. In the State of Texas, EDM is not allowed in ANY 3rd grade classroom. EDM is an example of reform/fuzzy" math programs. College professors say these programs leave out important topics, don't teach fluency in arithmetic, & ignore the parts of math that are formal & abstract. This will harm students who want to go into science, medicine, engineering & other fields requiring rigorous college math. Other students won't even develop basic math literacy because reform math programs are confusing & don't offer enough practice. When you Google EDM you will realize your child has become a victim of Fuzzy Math, the dumbed-down, politically correct math. These are math problems in the 5 grade EDM textbook: A. If math were a color, it would be , because . B. If it were a food, it would be , because . C. If it were weather, it would be , because . Many have tried to the seemingly futile task of waking up other parents and fighting the Oakridge edu-cracy to restore a rigorous math curriculum but with no success.

Posted March 29, 2013

My son has gone to Oakridge since he was four. He s now in middle school. We've enjoyed the care and quality of teaching staff, academic rigor, the life lessons through an encompassing educational experience, and a broad based curriculum with diverse students.

Posted December 16, 2012

The students in this school are out of control. Particularly in middle school! None of the teachers seem to be able to handle them. Particularly subs. I think their are only a few truly good students. The students tend to be immature. DON'T LET YOUR KIDS GO HERE.

Posted October 22, 2012

Bad leadership and poor sportsmanship. The teachers don't care what kind of things the students are into and really don't have much control over the classes.

Posted June 27, 2010

My children entered Oakridge when they were three, and both are now in middle school. We have been thrilled with the manner with which this great faculty challenges and inspires our bright kids - for nine years now. No doubt our boys are being prepared for college and for life.

Posted June 3, 2010

As a student at Oakridge I get the opportunity to participate in quality academics, athletics, and fine arts everyday. I have a great social life and I am friends with almost everyone. Our teachers are all very warming and easy to get along with. In athletics we have created a consistent system of improving our performance on the field by lifting weights and conditioning. Our football team lost in the finals this year and our powerlifting team won regionals. In fine arts I have learned alot about construction by building the sets used for the plays. On a previous review someone claimed that we recruit players... However there are athletes that are on financial aid, All of them contacted Oakridge asking for the opportunity to attend a great academic school to help them prepare for college. The only thing that would make our school better is giving more non-uniform dress days.

Posted September 24, 2009

I've been attending Oak since Pre-K and still love going. I like the privelege in saying that I go to a nice, private school...Oakridge compared to other private schools has been called one of the nicest. Almost all the teachers I've had have been great and I continue learning something everyday. And not only school, but socially...I like the people at Oakridge and getting able to do things other schools may not have money for. The athletics for Oakridge teach a life lesson and I think overall Oakridge has many students making it big in college and out of college. I'll be glad when I'm called an alumni from Oak. (:

Posted September 5, 2009

As a parent of a student attending the Oakridge school. I'm extremely disappointed in the state of academics, the quality of students being accepted in the school, the lack of a diverse teaching staff. Although the school recruits diverse student athletes to play at the school the teaching staff does not. The students began the dating game as young as the 4th grade asking each other to the homecoming game, buy expensive mums and down right mean spirited to each other. The school does not prepare the students to enter a more diverse society and to accept others. My child is in the 7th grade and has witness since the 3rd grade the dating and social aspect of Oakridge. The parents of the students are extremely accepting of this kind of behavior.

Posted August 25, 2009

I really like this school as a football player there during a time in whcih we probalbly have our best team ever we also have some of the best teachers in the state everyone there is welcoming when you first get here and the exposure to college recruiting and admittannce is great in fact just the other day we had a representative form UT Austin come to talk to us

Posted July 10, 2009

great school! the kids work very hard. oakridge encourages hard work. my kids love it!

Posted June 24, 2009

As an alum who is very up to date on their facts, as far as area schools rank, Oakridge is among the best. I was raised up in the obvioulsy lacking AISD public system and had the opportunity to transfer later in high school. The differences are night and day. Oakridge has a comprehensive curriculum with often over qualified teachers. (My senior lit teacher had 2 degrees, a masters, and studied at oxford). As far as the question of character is concerned, some of the best connections and mentors imaginable were available for me at Oakridge. Also, the misinformation about state schools is quite troublesome, while true many did choose to go to state schools, it was not a forced decision but was due to current economic conditions, and severe lacking in the funding available for college. I am curently attending a top 30 school in the nation on scholarship.

Posted June 11, 2009

We are so disappointed with the direction of the school. The kids all receive vey god grades, however we are so concerned with the overall college admittance. Most students are attending state schools. At 15k for 13 years, the numbers do not add up. SAT's and test scores are relatively low as compared to student's grades. They are also low when comparing to other schools that cost the same. The leadership does tend to favor those with the money thereby lacking the moral ground to make tough decisions and develope and retain quality students. Overall, not a great bang for your buck!

Posted February 4, 2009

This is an excellent smaller private school. the academics are very good and students regularly receive a significat number of scholarship opportunities. The focus is not on athletics programs, though the school is trying to address this with plans for additional facilities. The positive is that your child will be a big fish in a small pond. They can play on almost any team as opposed to not being on a team at all or sitting on the bench. The same goes for the charges of nepotism and political administration - you can be active in the school and that will be rewarded or sit on the sidelines and complain about others having their sway. Our children are smart and would do well at any school. At Oakridge, they have had the opportunity to go to school in a safe environment and be treated as individuals with truly caring teachers, administrators, parents, and

Asian 15% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab