No rating

AHB Community School

Private | K-8 | 65 students

AHB is best known for our focus on authentic inquiry & project-based work.

Living in Austin

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $261,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $800.

Posted May 12, 2014

My daughter is finishing her first year here and I could write a book about how happy we are. I am not a board member padding the reviews. Even if I was, the board is all parents with the exceptions of the exec director and a teacher rep. It is her first year at a formal school of any kind and she is reading at a second grade level (she is 6), never has said she doesn't wAnt to go to school and even gets upset at having to take a sick day. Loving and devoted teachers, parents and staff, stimulating classrooms, family friendly schedule, community spirit. Love it.

Posted July 19, 2013

Our children have flourished at AHB. I don't know what we like best--that our children love going to school everyday, the 9:1 student-teacher ratio, the 2 full-time teachers per classroom, the teachers' ability to challenge our children (who are above grade level), or the extra time we get to enjoy our children and direct their education. The reasonable tuition doesn't hurt either. For those unfamiliar with the school, AHB is a secular school/homeschool hybrid. The school week runs 3 to 4 days a week depending on age, and teachers send home the materials needed for home study weekly. The school is academically strong--reading and writing are emphasized, science is incorporated from kinder onward, and the math program keeps my children excited about numbers (and working above grade level). There was an executive director change-up at the school this year which upset some parents; however, a new ED is now in place. FWIW, our family is not on the parent-run board.

Posted July 1, 2013

I find it amusing, yet not surprising that the board members of this school are writing reviews to pad the results on this site. I have been at this school for several years now and have never seen such an incompetent group of leaders (speaking to the board). My children have loved this school and the classroom experiences they have had. However, the only thing alternative is the schedule. There are some wonderful aspects academically, the disappointing thing is that they continue to use CORE standards for mathematics. Those familiar with public school standards will be familiar with this. On the bright side, a new Director brings some hope. But, unfortunately with the current leadership it may be an impossible job to get this school performing at its full potential. It is such a shame that a few bad apples can spoil the bunch. I caution people looking at this school, at least for the next few years, until they have done enough damage control to get things back on track.

Posted May 8, 2013

If you are looking for an inspiring academic environment, filled with project-based, collaborative, meaningful instruction, AHB Community School is where you will find your academic home. For almost TEN years now, AHB has proven itself to be a leader in alternative education. The core of this school, the true heart and soul, is the incredible teaching staff, the people who bring it all to life and inspire my children to LOVE math, reading, writing, and everything else. This amazing foundation - the staff - is supplemented by an incredibly high level of VOLUNTARY parent involvement. Parents are driven to be so active and to participate at such a high level because they are contributing to something greater. AHB Community School is truly and example of the sum being greater than the parts - collectively, we create a lovely, meaningful, collaborative educational experience that has changed the lives of my own children, and many others who join them. I couldn't be happier to have the perfect school right at my fingertips!

Posted May 8, 2013

I love AHB. Both my kids have been there since starting at age 5. I love the small class size, the low teacher-student ratio, the flexible curriculum, the deep level of parent volunteer involvement and the amazing community events. My kids love their teachers (and so do I) and the work they are doing and have developed a loving network of classmates. I would recommend that anyone interested in these traits in a school go on a parent tour to learn more about this very special, unique school.

Posted April 26, 2013

I am a parent at this school and am very disappointed in the school leadership as shown by the Board of Directors. The Executive Director was recently let go/resigned (open issue) with a few months left in the school year. A Board of Director member has taken her place while a new ED is found; however she has no educational degrees or experience. The loss of the ED who has been working for a few years to transform the school is substantial and reflects poorly on the operation of the school. There teachers are fine (for the most part) however they need a strong ED in place to ensure delivery of what is promised by the school. I fear that without the ED the quality of education will slip. Also, parental involvement is a must here and you will spend substantial amounts of time assisting the teacher; almost to the point of doing parts of the job that teachers should. However, about 50% of the parents are not really involved thus limiting the community aspect that is needed for the school to succeed and putting additional stress on parents already involved. Overall, AHB does not live up to its claim and until a new ED comes it is tough to really know where it is headed.

Posted October 25, 2012

I feel grateful to have AHB for my 10 year old son! What I love about the school - 1. The small class sizes and individual instruction. My son is advanced in math, and so he's getting more challenging work. 2. The sense of community - parents are super involved, supportive to one another, and there's a strong feeling of community. 3. The kids themselves - bright, kind, curious, engaged. My son feels safe, like he can be himself at school. 4. Engaged, enthusiastic teachers who are at the top of their game. You can tell they take teaching seriously and are continuously educating themselves about new information, skills, and research to make them better teachers. 5. An environment that is respectful to children - they are seen, heard and understood, and treated respectfully - not simply herded from one activity to another. 6. Very organized and excellent leadership. 7. I like the focused, shorter school days - this gives my son more down time, which is helpful to him. The only negative is that my son wishes they had a larger play yard! I highly recommend this school.

Posted September 28, 2012

This school is awesome. I have been going to it for six years now and I'm still satisfied. To anyone who posted a 1 star review: WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?! IT'S CRAZINESS THAT SOMEONE WOULD SAY THAT THE TEACHERS ARN'T EDUCATED! Anyways, just sayin dis a great school ;D

Posted September 27, 2012

We are starting our third year at AHB and I don't have enough positive things to say about it. I am continually amazed by the teachers and their ability to engage and excite the students on a variety of topics. We love the 3 day/week schedule for the flexibility it allows us as a family - we were initially worried that there wouldn't be enough "instructional" time but because of the small class sizes and the enthusiasm the teachers nurture in the kids, they learn so much in their 3 days that I don't feel that we really need to "homeschool" at all except for ensuring that the reasonable amounts of homework are completed in a timely manner. I really feel that the teachers and staff know and care about my son and our family and that my son has learned and grown so much as a student and a person during his time here.

Posted September 26, 2012

The perfect blend of down-home family style community and grade A academic rigor. We love AHB!

Posted September 25, 2012

My kiddos have been at AHB for years. It is a community environment that engages students and parents in the learning process. Homework is meaningful and we really think the evaluation methods for the students are above and beyond anything resembling a report card. We know exactly where each is on the learning continuum within each subject. There are many options in Austin for K through 5. Check them out. Take the tours. Do the interviews. AHB has been and remains perfect for my boys.

Posted September 25, 2012

This is our first year here. We conducted a comprehensive search in Austin and found AHB to be a perfect fit for us. Pay close attention to what you need in a school. There are lots of choices out there. This place is for people who want to be involved with their kids education. It's small. Everyone is involved... you know... like a community. Super friendly and cool a cool bunch of people. Sorta old fashioned in a way, and fresh at the same time.

Posted September 25, 2012

AHB has been the ideal blend of nurturing environment and challenging yet creative education that my kids needed.

Posted September 4, 2012

We did not have a good experience in this school. In fact we were very disappointed. Not as alternative or different as they portray themselves. Some of the teachers are very well intentioned women/mothers but have no training in education. However, we think the main problem was the Director who is an emotional person and seemed inflexible when dealing with our child's classroom placement. Lots of emphasis in academics and obsessed with "reading". They performed standard testing without our permission. Also placement is based on numbers and the way they handled the "moving forward" or "staying back" made no sense to us since they only took into account the reading aspect, without thinking of the child emotional maturity or math ability. Also, some of the students have behavior problems and teachers were not handling that well. A parent had to call the district and a person from AISD ended up spending time in class and recess time helping teachers with the behavior problem children. One would think with the low student-teacher ratio the school has that would not have been necessary.

Posted February 2, 2012

We were very unhappy with this school. They claim flexibility and a collaborative education experience, but if your idea of "flexible and collaborative" doesn't match AHB's idea, AHB is oddly inflexible. My two boys were very unhappy here. Their teachers and Head of School were unwilling (unable?) to help them adjust to the new environment. In fact, they removed my oldest boy from his classroom to sit with my younger child because he was crying. They both ended up missing their classroom experience! Don't be fooled by their claims of inclusiveness, this is a school for a very specific type of child and family. If your child or family doesn't fit their mold, watch out!

Posted November 16, 2010

This school is right on target, amazing, and so right for our family. Our family holds very high standards for academic excellence, and this school is meeting those standards in every way. The teachers identified both of my children's strengths and weaknesses within the first 2 weeks of school, and tailored their homework accordingly. One who struggles with reading was immediately 'invited' to join the before-school reading workshop (at no extra cost) and her reading and confidence have soared. Both children's math progress is simply amazing, and they are both working above grade level, and LOVING IT and say, at least a few times a week "I love math and I love my math teacher." What a school! The community is caring and tender, and all the new parents I have met have been supportive and hard-working partners in making the school a great place.

Posted June 3, 2010

AHB Community Schools has been a wonderful experience for our daughter who just finished kindergarten there. As a young and shy 5yo, she found a nurturing environment that gave her the opportunity to stretch her wings and grow both academically and socially. The school's culture of caring and responsibility fosters a great environment for students, parents and siblings, faculty and general community. The classes have a low student/teacher ratio allowing for plenty of individual attention needed. Each class combines two grades (Kinder/1st, 2nd/3rd, 4th/5th) which benefits the lower grade by being surrounded by more advanced higher grade, and benefits the higher grade by practicing leadership and aiding their younger classmates. In addition to a 3 day school week (Tue/Wed/Thu) the school has day camps on Mondays and Tuesday, which allow you child to attend for 4 or 5 days a week. Makes me wish I could attend or teach there myself.

Posted March 31, 2010

AHB Community School is simply wonderful. I have two kids there with very different learning styles and they are both met where they are and are challenged to grow and excel. One of my favorite things is the culture of the students - they are kind to each other and the big kids are good with the little kids. Teachers are warm and interested and admin is easy to approach. I wish I could go to school there!

Posted March 2, 2010

AHB Community School has been a wonderful experience for our family. With a three day school week it allows us the perfect blend of school, family, home-schooling and the pursuit of hobbies. The environment is caring, respectful, and focused on fostering a sense of community both within the school and outside its walls. The teachers are fabulous, creative, and nurturing and the curriculum is both fun and challenging.

Posted March 12, 2009

Great community environment and low student to teacher ratios. Provides my son a great education and he loves to go to school.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Gifted specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Spanish

Health & athletics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 9:00 am
School end time
  • 2:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 3:30 p.m.
  • M. Scott Tatum
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Part-time study
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Independent Study
  • Individually guided instruction
  • Multi-aged
  • Project-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Car Pool Coordination
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Video / Film production

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom