Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (4 responses)

Harmony School of Political Science and Communication - Austin 1

Posted April 27, 2016
The fact that teachers are not trained as they should be bothers me. They are supposed to keep up standard of a Charted School which I have experienced is terribly lacking. The classwork and the homework is not too great, it's like learning 40% of school time. At the end of the year it's all about raising money from parents. Over and above the students have no lanuage barriers at all. They speak adult words and are ignored on campus. If we take concerns to the authorities they will ignore the situation after the first meeting instead of working on it. It should shut down for good.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted February 09, 2016
In group projects, the student who always get good grade will do all the work and the rest of his group will get all As. This does not develop honesty and integrity and fairness. Teachers should ask each of them to list what they have done.

Harmony School of Political Science and Communication - Austin 3

Posted February 09, 2016
I have two kids that go to this school and we have been here since its first day of opening so I think I can say a lot about this school. 1. Space: Talking about space, there are hardly any space in the classroom, the music classroom has no chair and students have to sit on the floor to learn imagine that. They have to space for a talented and gifted classroom so the poor teacher has to check everyday to see where she can teach. 2. Dirty bathrooms: not sure if the administration take notice, but the little kids bathrooms are filthy, my kid actually refuse to go there and hold his until the end of the day. 3. Pickup and drop off: Harmony has a rule that little kids must be walked to the car by a teacher at pick up which make sense to me since they may get into car accidents. Unfortunately, on a lucky day when they have 4 teachers to walk the kids to car, they only stand there to talk, chat to others and ignoring the kids. I really feel so so sorry for THE ONE teacher who walk all of the kids by herself while her coworkers just stand and talk to each other. I can tell from her expression that she doesn't like it one bit. On a unlucky day and this happen 90% of the time, they have only 1 teacher who walk the kids, and if you count kindergarten and first grade alone that's almost 200 students, yep, she walks 200 kids by herself and the school does not care. Can they assign a few more teacher to do pick up and drop off who actually will do the work instead of TALKING? 4. Teacher/student ratio: brace yourself, there are 26 kids per class in the lower grade, I have absolutely no idea how teacher can give individual attention to each child. 5. Profanity: in the upper grade, because my kid is one of the advanced student and straight A, teachers always assign him to sit with the bad kids, who frequently use profanity in the classroom everyday and he said most of the time teacher don't even care and if they do, they will only say things like "Oh, come on M". To me, this is unexceptionable, they must take this to the Dean of Discipline and call his parents. I used to go to high school as well but I never have to hear one swear word simply because we all know we will get in a big trouble if we do.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted February 09, 2016
I love teachers, I think they are in it because they love what they do but not for the amount of money that they get paid. The following list of teachers who have made a huge difference in our children's life and I'd like to thank you for all that you've done, for working tirelessly even though the rewards are so little but please don't get discourage you will be forever remembered by your students because hardwork will never go unnoticed: Ms.Green: you top the list for the most amazing, caring teacher and you made science fun. Imagine coming to class everyday and have your teacher telling you how much she loves what she does and she loves you. Yep, Ms.Green,regularly, told my child how much she loves children and LOVES being a teacher. It's such a loss for Harmony that she quit, my child always say "Mom, what if Ms.Green become a Principal, the school will be so much fun". A great teacher is not only effective in teaching but also uplift a child's spirit and instill in them that they can reach for the sky if they want to. Ahhhhh, I wish the administration of this school see my review and ask her to come back. And Ms.Green, sorry for the time that the Dean of Discipline made you cry, all of the students in that classroom supported you 100%. I was there at the Award Ceremony and you did nothing wrong, the Dean was unable to keep the kids down and basically blamed you for what was supposed to be her responsibility. He came home and said "we all so sad that Ms.Hanvey was so rude and mean, she just needed somebody to yell at, and I saw Ms.Green teared up". Ms.Madsen, Ms.White: you have improved my kid's writing skill tremendously and you both work soooo hard and we all know that. Ms.Shock, was the most amazing Art teacher Harmony has ever HAD, but she quit within a year. After being with Harmony for 5 years, she was the first Art teacher that used oil painting. This year, my child in 1st grade used MARKERS, why oh why. Ms.Handrick, Ms.Beardslee, Ms.Foehrkolb, Mr.Orma, Ms.Meck, Ms.Odonnel. Thanks to Mr.Fielder for standing at the drop off everyday saying hi to every car passing by rain or shine. That's a commitment.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted February 09, 2016
Middler schooler, be prepared to do about 5 hours a day for homework and full day on Saturday and Sunday.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted February 09, 2016
The 7 and 8th graders will use profanity frequently in class and teachers will not care so much. And if they do they will simply say "oh come on A, B,C", there is no strict discipline in place that will say if you curse your parents will be called. If I was Ms.Hanvey who is the Dean of Discipline/Student, I would make them go to Saturday school detention to eliminate bad behaviors. To me, the F word does not belong in a school PERIOD, especially, when they have little kids around, but the school admin take it very lightly.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted February 09, 2016
Because this school has students from K-12, big kids will push through and do not care for the little ones. If you have middle schoolers this will become worse, because their lockers and the high school kids lockers are close to each other. When my kid was in 6 grade, he said all the time that the big kid who has locker on top of his locker will take all of the time in the world and he has to wait on the side until he finish to open his locker. They share the same hall, and they will push the 6th graders.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted September 23, 2015
All my son's teachers. Miss Houck. Mrs . Ramirez. Mr.Dickson. miss Bourque. Miss Taylor. Miss G. Miss Tackett .and the front office secretary! Thank you very much for teaching my son this year.Hod bless you all!

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted September 23, 2015
We need to teach them at home respect from others. I can see in my don how he talk about daily basis and I can see how the school.is doing.and the school is doing fine

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted September 23, 2015
When you are from another country you can see how the school is and see how is the way the kids are...

13415 North FM 620, Austin, TX  78717
Last modified Harmony School of Political Science and Communication - Austin is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.