I am very pleased with Harmony School of Political Science. I had my son in a public school and transferred my son to Harmony for the 3rd grade. I have found the teachers at Harmony to be very involved in my son success at school. If he is not making the grade, the school requires him to do tutoring after school.
I looked at the demographic information given by the school and completely disagree with the stats submitted. Although the school is not very forthcoming with this information, it is without a doubt the most obvious observation that the midle eastern and northern African population is as large, if not larger, than the majority claimed by the school. This has been very concerning to us since my kids have students in their class that only speak Turkish or Arabic. The population of the school sure doesn't reflect the demographic population of the community that it serves.
I like this school because of the patterns they are using to teach the students. I can see improvement and eagerness in my child to learn and do something more than he is doing. Understanding about each and every subject is appreciable. This is our first year and really feel the school should be like this only...
The fact that teachers are not trained as they should be bothers me. They are supposed to keep up standard of a Charted School which I have experienced is terribly lacking.
The classwork and the homework is not too great, it's like learning 40% of school time. At the end of the year it's all about raising money from parents. Over and above the students have no lanuage barriers at all. They speak adult words and are ignored on campus.
If we take concerns to the authorities they will ignore the situation after the first meeting instead of working on it.
It should shut down for good.
In group projects, the student who always get good grade will do all the work and the rest of his group will get all As. This does not develop honesty and integrity and fairness. Teachers should ask each of them to list what they have done.
I have two kids that go to this school and we have been here since its first day of opening so I think I can say a lot about this school.
1. Space: Talking about space, there are hardly any space in the classroom, the music classroom has no chair and students have to sit on the floor to learn imagine that.
They have to space for a talented and gifted classroom so the poor teacher has to check everyday to see where she can teach.
2. Dirty bathrooms: not sure if the administration take notice, but the little kids bathrooms are filthy, my kid actually refuse to go there and hold his until the end of the day.
3. Pickup and drop off: Harmony has a rule that little kids must be walked to the car by a teacher at pick up which make sense to me since they may get into car accidents. Unfortunately, on a lucky day when they have 4 teachers to walk the kids to car, they only stand there to talk, chat to others and ignoring the kids. I really feel so so sorry for THE ONE teacher who walk all of the kids by herself while her coworkers just stand and talk to each other. I can tell from her expression that she doesn't like it one bit. On a unlucky day and this happen 90% of the time, they have only 1 teacher who walk the kids, and if you count kindergarten and first grade alone that's almost 200 students, yep, she walks 200 kids by herself and the school does not care. Can they assign a few more teacher to do pick up and drop off who actually will do the work instead of TALKING?
4. Teacher/student ratio: brace yourself, there are 26 kids per class in the lower grade, I have absolutely no idea how teacher can give individual attention to each child.
5. Profanity: in the upper grade, because my kid is one of the advanced student and straight A, teachers always assign him to sit with the bad kids, who frequently use profanity in the classroom everyday and he said most of the time teacher don't even care and if they do, they will only say things like "Oh, come on M". To me, this is unexceptionable, they must take this to the Dean of Discipline and call his parents. I used to go to high school as well but I never have to hear one swear word simply because we all know we will get in a big trouble if we do.
Harmony School of Political Science and Communication - Austin is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.