The fact that teachers are not trained as they should be bothers me. They are supposed to keep up standard of a Charted School which I have experienced is terribly lacking.
The classwork and the homework is not too great, it's like learning 40% of school time. At the end of the year it's all about raising money from parents. Over and above the students have no lanuage barriers at all. They speak adult words and are ignored on campus.
If we take concerns to the authorities they will ignore the situation after the first meeting instead of working on it.
It should shut down for good.
In group projects, the student who always get good grade will do all the work and the rest of his group will get all As. This does not develop honesty and integrity and fairness. Teachers should ask each of them to list what they have done.
I have two kids that go to this school and we have been here since its first day of opening so I think I can say a lot about this school.
1. Space: Talking about space, there are hardly any space in the classroom, the music classroom has no chair and students have to sit on the floor to learn imagine that.
They have to space for a talented and gifted classroom so the poor teacher has to check everyday to see where she can teach.
2. Dirty bathrooms: not sure if the administration take notice, but the little kids bathrooms are filthy, my kid actually refuse to go there and hold his until the end of the day.
3. Pickup and drop off: Harmony has a rule that little kids must be walked to the car by a teacher at pick up which make sense to me since they may get into car accidents. Unfortunately, on a lucky day when they have 4 teachers to walk the kids to car, they only stand there to talk, chat to others and ignoring the kids. I really feel so so sorry for THE ONE teacher who walk all of the kids by herself while her coworkers just stand and talk to each other. I can tell from her expression that she doesn't like it one bit. On a unlucky day and this happen 90% of the time, they have only 1 teacher who walk the kids, and if you count kindergarten and first grade alone that's almost 200 students, yep, she walks 200 kids by herself and the school does not care. Can they assign a few more teacher to do pick up and drop off who actually will do the work instead of TALKING?
4. Teacher/student ratio: brace yourself, there are 26 kids per class in the lower grade, I have absolutely no idea how teacher can give individual attention to each child.
5. Profanity: in the upper grade, because my kid is one of the advanced student and straight A, teachers always assign him to sit with the bad kids, who frequently use profanity in the classroom everyday and he said most of the time teacher don't even care and if they do, they will only say things like "Oh, come on M". To me, this is unexceptionable, they must take this to the Dean of Discipline and call his parents. I used to go to high school as well but I never have to hear one swear word simply because we all know we will get in a big trouble if we do.
We are very happy with the teachers! I have one boy in 5th grade. The teachers keeping updates about homework and others subjects. They are very easy to contact and they are very quickly to respond to your concerns. I like all the rules !like a professional from another country ( Latin America ) I like the way to teach in hps!the teachers teach them.like parents we don't expect that school or teacher's fix the holes in ours kids this is our job.they going to the school to learn no to be teach how to be...this is our job!!! Some parents make a lots complaints about all the rules ..rules are good for the sake of my kid.the faculties are very nice..and they doing a great effort to the new drop off and pick up system. We are very please with Harmony political and Science
This school is great. It has very friendly and warm environment. I have two children at the school. We had a great year. Teachers are very nice and dedicated .They really care about children and try to give the best education possible for the students. The principal is very friendly and accessible to parent .Front office personal is very helpful. School is ethnically very diverse which I like. There are a lot of extracurricular activities at school. In general I am satisfied with HSPS
This school is a terrible place for high school students. To say that this school prides itself on academic excellence, integrity, strict dress code policies and character building, it is very disturbing that this school would allow students who exhibit bad behavior, disrespectful, and bully type behavior to run rampant in the high school population. There are a group of girls who practically run the high school and have managed to run a lot of the good students away from this school. There has been several complaints brought to the administrators and nothing was resolved. There are a few teachers who have witnessed the bullying in their classrooms and did nothing to stop it. As a matter of fact, a few of the teachers sponsored ahigh school banquet and awarded the main students who cause trouble awards and accolades as if to put a stamp on bad behavior. These students are rejects from Round Rock ISD and Austin ISD where a few of them were expelled and can never return to those This is not a safe and positive environment to learn in on a daily basis. Until those students are kicked out like the other districts have done, the enrollment will continue to decline.
My review is based on personal observations at this school, not hearsay. There is a lot that goes on at this school that is kept secret but would be very upsetting to most parents. Volunteer! Staff does not pay enough attention to the older students which can and does affect the younger children in a negative way. Certain "pet" students are allowed to disregard rules and uniform if it doesn't suit them. Administration is not adequately qualified to handle the numerous amount of students with psychological/behavioral problems. Front office women are moody, disrespectful, unprofessional. They "forget" to file important papers and quite often "lose" them, blaming parents or each other. They gossip about students and their families. They all lack the skills and personality to perform well here. The younger one is so bad that most people avoid her. Principal is nice but a poor leader. He doesn't know how to discipline his staff or guide them to be a part of a strong team. The school is not kept clean. The construction is shoddy and is in constant disrepair. Certain children may do okay here, but on the whole, most leave and go back to their local district or private school.
Harmony School of Political Science and Communication - Austin is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.