Austin, TX

Mills Elementary School 2

Posted October 23, 2013
This school has great teachers but their front office staff could definitely use some work. They are very rude and in person and on the phone they are very snoddy. I wouldn't want to be a parent that has to interact with them on a daily basis.

Posted June 21, 2011
Among the more excellent, high achieving primary schools in AISD. Veteran teachers and consistently high test scores. Suffering the same budget crunches as most schools these days. My kids have performed well here and seem highly motivated...

Mills Elementary School 4

Posted August 15, 2009
crowded and the children suffer

Mills Elementary School 4

Posted June 21, 2009
Mills is an excellent school overall. However, some of the faculty and staff don't seem to be responsive to the needs of children who have undiagnosed disabilities, especially disabilities that manifest as behavioral difficulties. That said, if your child is normal, gifted, or has an identified disability, Mills provides a top-notch learning environment.

Posted January 03, 2009

Posted December 11, 2008
To the previous parent let me say this: Mills tends to track children by abilities though this isn't stated officially. If you are looking for more challenges for your child, ask for it in a letter to the Principal. There is a great amount of variance in the levels of the classes. As to 'feelings and self-worth' being too much of a focus, look at the literature. It all points to the profound value in elementary school education providing the social and community characteristics we want. Mills has some of the most open minded well adjusted tolerant children you will find anywhere. They are kind to people with learning differences and disabilities. They support each other and have learned the value of kindness. This is a direct result of the culture of values fostered by the administration at Mills. As your child gets older you will come to appreciate it.

Mills Elementary School 3

Posted December 10, 2008
My son is in 1st grade at Mills. I agree that there are some excellent teachers. The VP is excellent and really engages the children. The school is far over capacity and that is noticable. My husband and I feel that there is too much emphasis on feelings and self-worth rather than true academics. What happened to reading, writing and arithmatic?

Posted July 03, 2008
Mills is the best school in SW Austin. How we lucked into being in its boundaries when moving from another city was nothing short of kismet. The professionalism of the administration and the parent involvement are exemplary. Little wonder that 'exemplary' is the rating we get every year. Go Mountain Lions!

Posted August 12, 2007
We removed our son from a neighboring school and placed him in Mills. He is now loved and finally educated at Mills. We have found the staff to be professional yet loving. They don't seem to worry so much about the 'test' as and therefore the quality of education is higher and more individualized. We truly couldn't be happier with this school.

Posted August 07, 2007
I can't begin to imagine what the last review was addressing - in fact I question that it is regards to my children's' school at all. The Administration consists of a Caucasian woman, and African-American man, and an Hispanic woman. I think if they lacked diversity training it would severely impact their working relationship! As a parent of children now entering 1st and 4th, I can say that concerns, suggestions, and involvement are a top priority for the Admin, staff, and teachers. My younger son has both learning and behavioral issues, while my older son is asthmatic and in G/T. Clearly my needs run the gamut, and they have all been met beyond expectation. I couldn't begin to recommend this school more wholeheartedly. - Traci Anderson (not anonymous)

Mills Elementary School
6201 Davis Lane, Austin, TX  78749
Last modified Mills Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mills Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top