Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Patsy Sommer Elementary School 1

Posted January 08, 2016
This school has changed for the worst since the previous principal left. The new principal Mr. Varljen is useless and very unprofessional. She doesn't care about the social/emotional development of the children, they are mostly concerned about their ratings at the state level. If you are fine with academics and don't care about the school environment, you found the perfect school. Another bad thing it's discrimination, if your kid don't have the most impressive grades, perfect behavior and of corse if you are not a PTA member $$$ your family won't be treated equally. Advice: If you are looking to buy a very expensive house just for your kids to attend this school think twice before you do that. You will find better schools across the street.

Patsy Sommer Elementary School 3

Posted December 08, 2015
Came to this school with high expectation based on school ratings but it is an Average school. It really depends on your kids teacher at this school. Not all teachers are good and we are unlucky to have one such bad teacher. Most are asian kids attending extra math and academic classes outside school and fair well and the school gets good rating because of that.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted December 08, 2015
School provides good afterschool activities. I would like to thank teacher and PTA for their volunteering.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted December 08, 2015
We are new to this school and can only talk about my kids current teacher. We are not happy with the teacher. For example, teacher doesn't want to repeat what she said if the child missed the statement due to loud noise at the kids table. If a child doesn't understand a concept, teacher brushes off saying to look at the workbook. Never heard of a teacher keeping on eye on students to see who has more than one snack to give tally mark(totally absurd policy in class despite the kids leave home by 6:50am and the lunch starts only at 12:50pm). I gave somewhat effective rating here as I have heard good things about other classroom teachers.

Amount of homework: Don't know

Posted December 08, 2015
My Kid attends 3rd grade at this school and has a new teacher in 3rd grade. She doesn't give much homework at all. Most of the kids in this school are Asian and go to extra math classes outside the school, so they fair well. I can only talk about my kids teacher as I don't see any spelling, science or math workbook done at school either. Plus she has the attitude to mistreat kids if parents raise any concern. School overall seems good and I hear great things about other classroom teachers but we are unlucky.

Posted June 26, 2015
My star rating didn't post so I am adding it here. Would give more stars if possible!! --Sommer parent from previous post 6/26/15

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 26, 2015
I have been a parent at Sommer since the school's opening (my daughter began in first grade) and I am sad that this upcoming school year will be my last as my son will be a fifth grader. I can whole-heartedly say the teachers and both principals Pratz and Varljen have been wonderful. Both of my children thrived at this school. My daughter was extremely prepared for middle school and my son is already even more prepared than his sister. Teachers actively engage students and there is so much hands-on learning. Not to mention the kids have fun! Love this school. It's been an absolute pleasure to have been a part of the Sommer family!! Looking forward to the 2015-16 school year!

Posted June 07, 2015
Our daughter just completed 1st grade at Sommer. We cannot say enough wonderful things about her teacher Mrs. Satterwhite!! She always responded to our emails & questions in a timely manner and offered plenty of ideas & helpful suggestions whenever our daughter needed extra practice in a particular subject. Very proactive, prepared, FUN, enthusiastic, always encouraging, & clearly very organized. But perhaps the most impressive quality we observed in Mrs. Satterwhite was her ability to connect with our daughter & instill a genuine excitement for learning. She pours her heart into those children every day and we feel so blessed to have had her this year for first grade.

Patsy Sommer Elementary School 1

Posted April 29, 2015
I wish there was a lower rating. A horrible school to say the very least. My child is in PPCD (Special education for 3-5 years old). The principle is useless and will sit in IEPs to take notes and never ads any value. The teachers are not trained and they never push the children to get to where they can. Speech team is horrible. I have no idea how this program is still active. Someone from RRISD needs to take some action and make real changes. IEP coordinator at the school should be fired. If you are a parent who is assessing this school for a child with special needs, my advise to you is to run away from this school. We will not keep our son here next year for sure. Well that s what they do, they push you to home school your child. Horrible horrible horrible

Posted November 26, 2014
Patsy Sommer is an Awesome school. The parents are super engaged with the school and kids... The whole school seems like a very large but close knit family. Most teachers are good and have stayed with the school for a while, which is a great thing given the fact that several new schools have come-up and good teachers are in great demand... The 5th grade teachers do a great job of preparing kids for the Middle school... I was apprehensive how my kid would fare in the middle school, but with the prep work in elementary (thanks to the teachers), middle school has been a cakewalk for us so far. I would highly recommend this school...

16200 Avery Ranch Boulevard, Austin, TX  78717
Last modified Patsy Sommer Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Patsy Sommer Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top