Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

We love Patsy Sommer! The school is overcrowded, but it's a great show of how awesome the school is. The principal always responds to every email and the staff is very dedicated and is constantly updating curriculum. There are so many fun and creative things for the students. Fifth graders have an egg drop contest and flugtag, the choir has amazing musical productions every year. We love it here!

The school consistently hires in-experienced teachers at the lower class levels where good teachers are extremely important. The school district and principal seem to be well aware that the surrounding area is fairly well educated and the students will get good standardized test scores even if the school does not teach anything (same old story - aiming for high test scores instead of teaching) Teachers have no idea what the child is doing during recess time to get an idea of the child's social skills. The teacher turnover rate seems to be very high too. End of the year teacher requests because of learning shortcomings are ignored too. I know this review will probably ding my house price but my Childs education is more important to me than my house price. Also, there is hardly any emphasis given to math at K level. The report cards seem to be bogus and try to show bad grades in the beginning of the school year and then improving over time to show "the school improved your child". One good thing about the school is that they take parental concerns seriously and does not ignore them. But it seems they only do this to make the parents feel good. Edit: After my kid has spent 6 years at this school, I can say with confidence that this school does not deserve a ranking of more than 7. More like 6.5. The principal only seems to listen to the PTA. And the PTA is just a social club for the local ladies.

Develops character: Neutral

Because the school only cares about STAAR tests. Nothing else. The only social skills that the school emphasizes on are skills that make the life of the teachers easy.

This school has changed for the worst since the previous principal left. The new principal Mr. Varljen is useless and very unprofessional. She doesn't care about the social/emotional development of the children, they are mostly concerned about their ratings at the state level. If you are fine with academics and don't care about the school environment, you found the perfect school. Another bad thing it's discrimination, if your kid don't have the most impressive grades, perfect behavior and of corse if you are not a PTA member $$$ your family won't be treated equally. Advice: If you are looking to buy a very expensive house just for your kids to attend this school think twice before you do that. You will find better schools across the street.

Came to this school with high expectation based on school ratings but it is an Average school. It really depends on your kids teacher at this school. Not all teachers are good and we are unlucky to have one such bad teacher. Most are asian kids attending extra math and academic classes outside school and fair well and the school gets good rating because of that.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

We are new to this school and can only talk about my kids current teacher. We are not happy with the teacher. For example, teacher doesn't want to repeat what she said if the child missed the statement due to loud noise at the kids table. If a child doesn't understand a concept, teacher brushes off saying to look at the workbook. Never heard of a teacher keeping on eye on students to see who has more than one snack to give tally mark(totally absurd policy in class despite the kids leave home by 6:50am and the lunch starts only at 12:50pm). I gave somewhat effective rating here as I have heard good things about other classroom teachers.

Amount of homework: no rating

My Kid attends 3rd grade at this school and has a new teacher in 3rd grade. She doesn't give much homework at all. Most of the kids in this school are Asian and go to extra math classes outside the school, so they fair well. I can only talk about my kids teacher as I don't see any spelling, science or math workbook done at school either. Plus she has the attitude to mistreat kids if parents raise any concern. School overall seems good and I hear great things about other classroom teachers but we are unlucky.

My star rating didn't post so I am adding it here. Would give more stars if possible!! --Sommer parent from previous post 6/26/15

Develops character: Strongly agree

I have been a parent at Sommer since the school's opening (my daughter began in first grade) and I am sad that this upcoming school year will be my last as my son will be a fifth grader. I can whole-heartedly say the teachers and both principals Pratz and Varljen have been wonderful. Both of my children thrived at this school. My daughter was extremely prepared for middle school and my son is already even more prepared than his sister. Teachers actively engage students and there is so much hands-on learning. Not to mention the kids have fun! Love this school. It's been an absolute pleasure to have been a part of the Sommer family!! Looking forward to the 2015-16 school year!

Our daughter just completed 1st grade at Sommer. We cannot say enough wonderful things about her teacher Mrs. Satterwhite!! She always responded to our emails & questions in a timely manner and offered plenty of ideas & helpful suggestions whenever our daughter needed extra practice in a particular subject. Very proactive, prepared, FUN, enthusiastic, always encouraging, & clearly very organized. But perhaps the most impressive quality we observed in Mrs. Satterwhite was her ability to connect with our daughter & instill a genuine excitement for learning. She pours her heart into those children every day and we feel so blessed to have had her this year for first grade.

Last modified Patsy Sommer Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.