Austin, TX

Posted June 26, 2015
My star rating didn't post so I am adding it here. Would give more stars if possible!! --Sommer parent from previous post 6/26/15

Patsy Sommer Elementary School
Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 26, 2015
I have been a parent at Sommer since the school's opening (my daughter began in first grade) and I am sad that this upcoming school year will be my last as my son will be a fifth grader. I can whole-heartedly say the teachers and both principals Pratz and Varljen have been wonderful. Both of my children thrived at this school. My daughter was extremely prepared for middle school and my son is already even more prepared than his sister. Teachers actively engage students and there is so much hands-on learning. Not to mention the kids have fun! Love this school. It's been an absolute pleasure to have been a part of the Sommer family!! Looking forward to the 2015-16 school year!

Posted June 07, 2015
Our daughter just completed 1st grade at Sommer. We cannot say enough wonderful things about her teacher Mrs. Satterwhite!! She always responded to our emails & questions in a timely manner and offered plenty of ideas & helpful suggestions whenever our daughter needed extra practice in a particular subject. Very proactive, prepared, FUN, enthusiastic, always encouraging, & clearly very organized. But perhaps the most impressive quality we observed in Mrs. Satterwhite was her ability to connect with our daughter & instill a genuine excitement for learning. She pours her heart into those children every day and we feel so blessed to have had her this year for first grade.

Patsy Sommer Elementary School 1

Posted April 29, 2015
I wish there was a lower rating. A horrible school to say the very least. My child is in PPCD (Special education for 3-5 years old). The principle is useless and will sit in IEPs to take notes and never ads any value. The teachers are not trained and they never push the children to get to where they can. Speech team is horrible. I have no idea how this program is still active. Someone from RRISD needs to take some action and make real changes. IEP coordinator at the school should be fired. If you are a parent who is assessing this school for a child with special needs, my advise to you is to run away from this school. We will not keep our son here next year for sure. Well that s what they do, they push you to home school your child. Horrible horrible horrible
3 people found this helpful

Posted November 26, 2014
Patsy Sommer is an Awesome school. The parents are super engaged with the school and kids... The whole school seems like a very large but close knit family. Most teachers are good and have stayed with the school for a while, which is a great thing given the fact that several new schools have come-up and good teachers are in great demand... The 5th grade teachers do a great job of preparing kids for the Middle school... I was apprehensive how my kid would fare in the middle school, but with the prep work in elementary (thanks to the teachers), middle school has been a cakewalk for us so far. I would highly recommend this school...

Patsy Sommer Elementary School 4

Posted September 22, 2014
I have loved every teacher that my children have had at Patsy Sommer, and Mr. Pratz did a great job. Since he left and Ms Varljen took over it has gone down hill. We have lost several teachers each year because they are not fond of her either. She always has an excuse, and nothing is ever her "fault" . The ratings will go down soon, because all she cares about are the students who are way ahead. I have both kind of students, and she has been a nightmare for the one who struggles a bit. People are talking about petitioning to get rid of her, and I will be the first to sign.

Patsy Sommer Elementary School 1

Posted August 26, 2014
Have been very disappointed with this school and its principal. She says she has an open door, but does not listen to any of our concerns about our child. She doesn't care about any requests that are made and will do things her way regardless what is best for the child.

Posted August 04, 2014
I personally do not agree with any of these comments. Great staff quite caring and attentive from the moment you walk in to volunteering in class plenty. I had a kinder in Mrs. Kuhn's class and a fifth grader in Mrs. Ruiz class. This school has amazing teachers who have taught my kids a tough curriculum with patience and understanding. The principal addressed an issue with a temporary substitute teacher with great attention and urgency of the matter at hand. She showed exemplary leadership and open communication. As parents, we want someone who cares about the children as much as we do as parents and Sommer has reflected that academically in 2013-2014. Great work! We did not find that in schools in Fairfax County that had reputation for being great schools but lacked in curriculum, teachers being enthusiastic and staff who seemed not to care about kids who got sick or parents who took time from their jobs to volunteer when they could.
2 people found this helpful

Patsy Sommer Elementary School 3

Posted July 21, 2014
The school is great, the principal however....... I hope some things change and they bring back the community ed after school programs, my sons really missed them. My daughter will be going in to kinder and there are not any after school activities for kinder without the community ed.

Posted May 27, 2014
This school is awesome. My daughter is in Ms. Shreiner's class and it has been such a blessing. I was worried about her slow eating habits, but she thrived in her class academically and eating too. Ms. Shreiner stretched herself and put in a lunch award scheme that worked out really well. There is a lot of positive reinforcement and I see it is a very strong academic and extra-activity oriented school. Extremely impressed.

Patsy Sommer Elementary School
16200 Avery Ranch Boulevard, Austin, TX  78717
Last modified Patsy Sommer Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Patsy Sommer Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top