Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Nyos Charter School 5

Posted February 03, 2016
I am a student at NYOS and I love it! The teachers are all so friendly and nice. We have lots of after school clubs, and if you want to start a club that does not exist yet, you can ask a teacher to sponsor you and help you start it. I am in 7th grade this year and I came to NYOS in 3rd grade. Tutoring is always available if needed, in the morning before school starts and after class as well. The school is year round, meaning we have a fall break, a shorter summer, and a little bit longer for winter break. We also get a half day on Fridays, which might be important in deciding if you will come to the school or not. We go on a good amount of cool field trips and have lots of extracurricular activities. I love NYOS and hope that the NYOS community will continue to grow!

Grateful to: School leader

Posted February 03, 2016
Principal Curtis Wilson, for making this school as great as it is. Also the executive director, Kathleen Zimmermann for making this school even better.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted February 03, 2016
All of the teachers at this school encourage each student to do their very best, and recognize a student that is struggling and get them extra help.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted February 03, 2016
The homework level in my grade (7th grade) feels just right to me. Every day (except for 1/2 day Friday, which only gets 15 minutes) every student in every class is given 30 minutes at the end of the day to work on homework, late work, or attend tutoring.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted February 03, 2016
NYOS definitely helps each student develop the determination and persistence they need to make it on their own. The students are encouraged to do their very best and work hard. Even in classes like P.E., where all of the kids are encouraged to participate.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted February 03, 2016
I think this school develops lots of life skills in students. The counselors are all about teaching these skills and in elementary there is even a class every other Friday so that the students can learn how to treat other people and work with others.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted February 03, 2016
All of the students at NYOS are nice to others and have this family-like respect for eachother.

Nyos Charter School 3

Posted December 15, 2014
I went to NYOS in 2011- some of 2012 the friends were good but the classes are not teaching you 8th grade work, After 7th grade they suddenly want you to do college based stuff that I was not familiar with so I got kicked out of school with no help in tutoring or anything because I wasn't passing my classes and if I were to be offered to come back to this school I wouldn't because the work in middle school was too college like skipping everything I need to know in 9th grade high school. And even though it wasn't all that great the thing I did enjoy there was the rock band class they have it was by far the most class I was interested in.

Nyos Charter School 5

Posted August 15, 2014
I was a student at this school last year and when my family had to move I was extremely saddened because, quite honestly, NYOS is an excellent school. I had moved from outside the country and they helped advise me and complete my transcript. The community is tightly knit and everyone is so accepting of and compassionate to each other. The class sizes are small giving each student individual attention from all the teachers, who were also amazing. Emphasis is placed on academics and extra curriculars and all in all, I loved NYOS and am proud to have been a jaguar!

Nyos Charter School 4

Posted April 29, 2014
NYOS Charter school is great, good teachers, good programs to keep kids on track. Teachers dedicate their spare time to help kids that are having trouble, they are always going the extra mile.

12301 North Lamar Boulevard, Austin, TX  78753
Last modified Nyos Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades 4-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.