Public charter
Austin, TX
After care: No

Nyos Charter School 3

Posted December 15, 2014
I went to NYOS in 2011- some of 2012 the friends were good but the classes are not teaching you 8th grade work, After 7th grade they suddenly want you to do college based stuff that I was not familiar with so I got kicked out of school with no help in tutoring or anything because I wasn't passing my classes and if I were to be offered to come back to this school I wouldn't because the work in middle school was too college like skipping everything I need to know in 9th grade high school. And even though it wasn't all that great the thing I did enjoy there was the rock band class they have it was by far the most class I was interested in.

Posted August 15, 2014
I was a student at this school last year and when my family had to move I was extremely saddened because, quite honestly, NYOS is an excellent school. I had moved from outside the country and they helped advise me and complete my transcript. The community is tightly knit and everyone is so accepting of and compassionate to each other. The class sizes are small giving each student individual attention from all the teachers, who were also amazing. Emphasis is placed on academics and extra curriculars and all in all, I loved NYOS and am proud to have been a jaguar!

Nyos Charter School 4

Posted April 29, 2014
NYOS Charter school is great, good teachers, good programs to keep kids on track. Teachers dedicate their spare time to help kids that are having trouble, they are always going the extra mile.

Posted April 09, 2014
I have been attending this school since I was in Kindergarden, and I love it!

Posted April 09, 2014
I love this school! My daughter was so shy, but the family aspect of the school brought her to life! The teachers all know all of the students, the parents all know each other and are willing to pitch in and help one another without expecting anything in return! It is a great environment to raise a child in, and I am so glad I chose it for my children! Parents are allowed and encouraged to be involved in every aspect of school life, and there are a number of enrichment activities beyond just sitting in a classroom learning.

Posted April 08, 2014
My daughter has been here for 7 years now. It was the best thing we have done!!! I love the community aspect of this school. Everyone knows everyone. The teachers do an amazing job with differentiating their lessons. My daughter feels safe and comfortable, and so do I. There are clubs for everyone. All families are encouraged to volunteer, and that helps bring up well rounded children. I've seen other kids, patents and teachers from different schools have many difficult issues with testing, bullying, teaching, or getting lost in the system. That would never happen here. I am confident that this is the best school I could ever imagine. We will not be going anywhere else.

Posted April 08, 2014
This school with a silly name is anything but silly. Not Your Ordinary School was started in the late 90s by a group of local regular public school teachers that were tired of the one size fits all, and test-oriented nature of Texas schools. Since then NYOS has grown into one of the best schools in Austin. Our kids have been there since Kindergarten and are now in middle and high school, and will graduate from NYOS. The class sizes are small, the teachers really get to know each child, children can move ahead in math or other subjects if they are ready (example: my 8th grade child goes to a 9th grade pre-AP algebra class every day). Schedule: 2 month summer, 2-3 weeks off in Oct, 2 week spring break, every Friday is a half day. This is better for learning and being refreshed. Graduates go to good colleges. If I had to characterize NYOS in a few words they would be: safe, nerdy, clean, community, human, caring, fun.

Posted April 08, 2014
We love being a part of this school! It is a great community. The facility is knowledgable and caring. My daughter receives the best education from NYOS.

Posted April 08, 2014
I don't know what my family would do without NYOS! Whether in high school, middle school, or elementary the teachers give 110% of themselves to the education and well being of their students. My kids are both very happy and confident and I'm grateful to have a safe community to provide them with an excellent education.

Posted April 08, 2014
NYOS may appear to be a charter school that is just like a traditional public school, but it is not. There is a good balance of traditional structure and innovation at work. When conflicts arise, as they invariably do, the teachers and administration work to help the students resolve them in a constructive and meaningful way.

Nyos Charter School
12301 N Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX  78753
Last modified Nyos Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades 4-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Nyos Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 67 reviews. Top