Jerry R Junkins Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 747 students

Sweep tile

Posted October 12, 2013

This is one of the worst schools in this area. Teachers are mean to kids. I kind of agree with the robot review as I have observed the same thing too. The supplies that you buy for your kid won't be used for your kid because they will never know whose supply is whose.. Their organization skills are the worst.. I withdrew my son after a week from this school because he got selected elsewhere. When I went there to get back the supplies that I provided i got only half of what I gave them and that too all the brands and sizes were different. That's how I realized that the supplies I buy for my son wont be used anyways on him. I feel very bad about it. The evening pick up is a horror story. There is absolutely no security. Anybody can scoop into the cafeteria during the evening pick up. The principal although a very good person lacks capabilities to control his staff. One day I observed that parents waited for 45 minutes without a single kid being released So parents if you want to experience all this first hand please go ahead and your child in this school.. If you have options then please don't put your kid in this school. I feel for parents who don't have a choice.

Posted September 10, 2013

My grandson goes to this school, and he is an A/B student. I believe the teachers are very caring and professional, as is the rest of the school staff. This is his third year at this school, and he has really flourished!

Posted August 6, 2013

This school is looks like the kids are robot's, all the children dress a like, walk a certain way, and follow robot motions that the teachers instill. Then can't talk at all while then are walking, they can't talk in the cafeteria even when they are through eating lunch and have to put there heads on the nasty/dirty tables when they are done until they get released. If they forget and accidently talk the whole class looses recess. You can hear teachers yelling from down the hall at the kids. The tests scores are awful and the kids walk around like zombie's. The only positive thing I can say about this pathetic school is they have a great after school play program to those kids fortunate enough to go to the after school program. This program is only offered through the after school program. This is the ONLY thing that is school has to offer. Other than that plan on your kids coming home sick all the time and Not learning anything but dirty words and how to put their head on the lunch room tables when they are done eating. This school should be shut down! I am ashamed a school in Texas is run like this. Parents be warned.

Posted July 31, 2013

My child has been enrolled at Jerry Junkins since kinder w/ mrs. Tilley. Went on to 1st w/ Mrs Brumbelow and 2nd grade w/ Mrs Decker. 2nd grade was a challenge due to teacher on maternity leave. We were upset at the lack of communication the sub provided to us as a parent. The dual language program in my opinion needs work. The concept is great but the follow thru needs MAJOR help! We love Junkins but communication is key. We are parents that want to know what our child is struggling with so we can provide one on one help at home. Waiting until report cards are sent is not helping anyone, especially a child. Aside from that Junkins is a good school!

Posted May 10, 2013

We recently moved to this area from another state and I was so pleased by the school and its staff. They welcomed my daughter mid school year and helped her catch up to her fellow students. When we arrived she was one of a few Kinder kids not reading, I am so excited that as the school year comes to and end she is reading well beyond a 1st grade level and is loving it. This school is great!!!!

Posted February 25, 2011

We moved to DISD from CFBISD with overwhelming challenges, having lost my job, I was forced to move and did not want to change schools. Now, the kids grades and behavior have improved and things are still improving daily. It makes me happy to hear about good days at school when the kids get home. The teachers act proud of their school and students. They are serious, competitive, and respectful. School has never been better for my kids. Every time that I enter that school, the principal and office staff are actively involved. I see them greeting the students, motivating them, they walk and talk to everybody they can actually doing above and beyond on everything. At the end of the day, they are still smiling even with tired eyes.

Posted September 28, 2010

I am extremely pleased with this school... it's teachers & principal. We were planning to attend private school, and I was very worried when I realized we would be in a DISD public school. I have been so pleasantly surprised! My son is enrolled in the dual language program, and we couldn't be happier with the level of learning he is receiving... both academically & socially.

Posted September 10, 2010

The teachers are awesome. They went to bat for my daughter who was one of the straight A students that the principal was going to have to take out of school. Because of her teachers my kids get to stay. I thank them very much for this.

Posted May 13, 2010

Great School - teachers are kind, loving, and passionate about their class - makes a big difference!

Posted April 9, 2010

Junkins Is An amazing school. I do recomend this school to anyone looking to move into another district.....Go Jerry Junkins

Posted September 6, 2009

We knew Walker would'nt be around long and she will be missed. She created a strong learning foundation for our children, one that will continue at Bryan Adams. Goooo Bryan Adams and Ms. Walker! We are glad Calhoun is staying on and we will support her and the teachers. The new PTA president was very impressive and friendly. The opening was very smooth and the new musical is already on its way. We love JJ and good luck Walker!

Posted September 1, 2009

The school look great and organized i like all my kid teachers they are kind and carring .My dream is to see junklins recognizes

Posted August 20, 2009

The school looks great and all ready for students Monday! Go recognized? We say, Go Exemplary!

Posted August 2, 2009

It is obvious that the instruction our children received at Junkins carried on to the middle and high school. True Ms. Walker is very pretty, but she is also down to earth, humble and knows her business. I have never met a principal with more enthusiasm about instruction and all of our kids love her and the teachers. Her teachers share her energy. What a talented group of people. This is the most fun warm and loving school and we will be sad when our last has to leave. We were going to take our kids out of DISD when they got to Walker but decided to stay because we thought they had a strong foundation at Junkins. They are doing well there and we have great faith in DISD thanks to Junkins. We do think DISD could do a better job cutting lawns at both schools. Go recognized Junkins!

Posted August 2, 2009

True Ms. Walker is very pretty, ALSO she is down to earth, humble and knows her business. I have never met a principal with more enthusiasm about instruction and all of our kids love her and the teachers. The teachers share her energy. What a talented group. This is the most fun warm and loving school and we will be sad when our last has to leave. We were going to take our kids out of DISD when they got to middle school but decided to stay because we thought they had a strong foundation at Junkins. They are doing well there and we have great faith in DISD thanks to Junkins. We do think DISD could do a better job cutting lawns at both schools. GO RECOGNIZED JUNKINS HAVE A GREAT YEAR!

Posted December 2, 2008

We agree. Great school, great leadership, seems parental involvement is low though. Looks like we are finally getting the sign out front!

Posted October 21, 2008

As a British national I am new to the American education system. My daughter just joined kindergarten this year and the support I receive from her teacher Mrs. Tilley is outstanding. I am very impressed with the whole structure and staff at Jerry Junkins. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted October 20, 2008

In the two years at Junkins and children at Marsh and White when she was there, I have never heard Ms. Walker raise her voice. She has great respect for our chilldren. No respect for education? Ha! Have you seen the school's scores or ever visited a classsroom? Doubtful. Our school is great!

Posted October 14, 2008

My son went to this school and this was the worse school. The teachers and the principals yell at kids, their mean, they try to make the kids feels as if they are not worthy of a good education, and they tolarate bullies. The previous comments has to be from a different school.

Posted October 7, 2008

What the principle looks like doesnt have anything to do with the education our children get (although my brother agrees with you :). Once you talk to her though you know how smart and focused she is on this school and the students and staff. Let's talk about what a great year my kids are having! There are less students this year and we moved back because they begged to go to Junkins. One of our children is in the 4th grde science class after school and can't quit talking about it! We love Ms. Walker (yes I know) and Ms. Sandford. The website is very informtional. The dirt lot across the street is awful though and some of the crazy things parents do in their cars, beware! this school shows up any Carrollton school. I hope our teachers get to stay.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

73 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

94 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

102 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

120 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

102 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

61 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

72 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

57 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students96%

Not special education95%
Proficient in English92%
Non-migrant93%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students90%

Non-migrant77%
Non-Gifted73%
Bilingual80%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Asian 4% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

• Robby G Wilson
Fax number
  • (972) 502-2401

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2808 Running Duke Dr