Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

HONORABLE SCHOOL! I have 4 kids that attend Kolda Elementary at this present time. Three girls and one boy and the school knows me pretty well. Faculty and Staff at the school have always attended to my children's needs. Every year my relationship with the school grows in a loving amiable way. My children are always excited to go back to school after summer break. The principal Ms. Alvarez is very attentive and caring. She went above and beyond last year by notifying me immediately on my cell phone of a particular incident in which my kids rights were about to be violated without my presence there. However, my rights were honored and the matter was resolved without incident. She had my back and being a single mother that meant the world to me and for that she will always have my respect and testimonial that this is a school of integrity. She always takes the time to stop what she's doing and listen to whatever issues I'm having and I appreciate that deeply. As parents we do have rights and our children have rights as well, all of us Americans have rights, but we must also remember that rights must be exercised with all due respect towards our teachers and staff. Being a Kolda cadet is what my kids need in their life. The school has really stepped up to teach my children how to be honest and valued with the upmost civility. I would also like to take this time to praise the secretary/clerk in the front office. She has always thought of my kids in their time of need, especially one time during Christmas, I will remember that always and so will my children. Special thanks to the CCPD as well (shop with a cop:). I’m forever grateful and the school’s value that they set upon our kids is very much needed, notably in this day and age. Kolda Cadets=Knowledge, Service and Character! Sincerely, Stephanie R.

The 9/10 rating shows only the fact that children score great on tests. And it's because they are drilled everyday on them. This rating rating shows nothing about the day to day life of s child at this school. It is one of the better schools in Corpus, but it doesn't take much to be a good school in Corpus. The principal, Ms. Alvarez, treats the children as if they are in a military academy. Recess only happens once in a while for kindergartens. Students sit in alphabetical order at lunch, and there is no time to just breathe. My son had anxiety everyday prior to leaving for school in fear of doing poorly. The teachers are required to follow ridiculous discipline guidelines that even the kids who actually pay attention and do good work get in trouble for asking to go to the bathroom at the wrong time. From a mother who knows there are better environments out there for children, I took my kids out of Kolda after two years and moved them to open enrollment at Flour Bluff. It's a much better place and much more conducive to children learning and becoming good citizens than Kolda. Please don't look at test scores as your representative of a good school. Go visit, and see the sterile learning space of this school. I wasted two years of my children's lives.

My kids started this past August and this school is wonderful! The principal and vice principal are amazing! The teachers are so wonderful with the kids. We have moved around to a few schools and this is the best one by far. They really want to help here and do everything and more to help children succeed. I don't know about the other reviews but you can't please everyone. I am not biased either because moving so much I have dealt with 3 other schools and the amount of patience Kolda has shown is just beyond words. My son has had a complete turn around here. The other schools would never listen to me. I am a very proactive parent and have more than 1 child so it was frustrating when other schools wouldn't listen to me when I told them that I am consistent with my son. At Kolda they listened and acted. We all worked as a team and now my son is doing better than ever! I can finally relax when he goes to school instead of on the edge if every phone call was his school. And then the looks and attitude I got from the staff at other schools when I knew I was doing everything I could. I think Kolda is the best school that has happened to Corpus Christi.

Well, my family may be another bad seed then. As a military family and parents of a very smart child, this school is so far to be the best. It may be the more beautiful, but not the best. If the school administration read my review, please take it as a way to improve not defensive as the last commentary.

As a previous teacher myself and a military family, we have been to a lot if different schools in different states. This is by far the best school yet! Wonderful teachers and staff. They care about our children and are very organized. Not sure about the previous comments, but I feel that is so far from the truth. I couldn't be happier that my children are Kolda Cadettes! Don't let a few bad seeds discourage your decision and miss out on a wonderful opportunity!

I may have to agree with the previous review, yes the school is beautiful, but they need new and more friendly staff members. When I enrolled my daughter last year, the front desk receptionist was too rude with my friend asking her to provide prove of residence for the next school year. That was too rude, we were in shock because we were enrolling the kids for the school year 2013-2014 and she was demanding prove of residence for 2014-2015. We just did not feel welcome there.

Principal and teachers are rude. You do not feel welcome in this school. If your child defends her right the teachers will send the student to the principal office, then the principal will punish your kid with intimidation: looking at her in a unfriendly way all year long. If you complain as a parent the situation is worse and your child will pay with intimidation. An administration change is needed ASAP in this school. The school is big, new brand and beautiful.

Last modified Kolda Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.