Posted October 01, 2014
Lakewood Elementary is okay. However, the new principal and LEEF's plan for an addition and renovation to the school bring hope that stellar days are ahead. As a former educator, I wish the teachers as a whole were more caring and less like drill sergeants. I am sure overcrowding can contribute to the morale of the teachers, as well as the emphasis on testing. The office staff could be more welcoming and chipper, especially since they are usually the first point of contact for a visitor. The nurse and counselor are very nice, qualities you want in both positions. I do love how the music program introduces the children to great classical works. The P.E. teacher is fantastic as well and very nice. This year they have added another P.E. teacher as well as a second art teacher. I do feel that the school is taking steps to address overcrowding and easing the burden on teachers by adding new positions. Parental involvement is very high. We have two wonderful, kind and happy DISD crossing guards that work the front of our school both morning and afternoon. It would be nice to have something similar for those who use Wendover Rd., but that is obviously a funding issue.

Lakewood Elementary School 1

Posted September 25, 2014
Can you imagine a 5th grade teacher not only bullying a student, but humiliating him in front of his classmates? This is what my grand child endured in a classroom at Lakewood. Beware if your child doesn't fit the mold they are in danger!!!!

Lakewood Elementary School 1

Posted September 17, 2014
We had an an abysmal experience at Lakewood. My son was a new student in 2nd grade with no behavior problems at all. We met privately with his teacher to explain that we felt he had a learning disorder and were in the process of having him tested. Despite this, she would berate him loudly in class for missing an instruction or not knowing something that she thought he should know. Then she got in the habit of saying to the class (in a sarcastic tone of voice), "Could somebody please help E---?" I wrote a tactful letter to her respectfully asking her not to say that to the class. So instead, the next time another student tried to help my son (even though he didn't ask for help), she said, "E---'s mom says he doesn't need any help." I tried to talk to her in person before school and she refused to speak to me--literally turned her back to me as I was talking and told me to go to the office. I pulled my son out of that school that day. When we went to collect his things from the classroom, she did not even acknowledge my son or say goodbye! FOR SHAME! Hardly the conduct of a professional educator! The principal wasn't much better. We lasted 4 weeks and they were 4 weeks of misery.

Lakewood Elementary School 4

Posted May 10, 2014
Lakewood is a good school in a great neighborhood. Lkd enjoys an excellent community and parent support visible and effective PTA, Dad s group, fundraisers and volunteering. The teaching could be stronger based on the schools population (in my experience 25% are excellent and 10% are terrible) as an educator myself (with realistic expectations ) that is good. Your child WILL be well socialized at Lakewood (once again this is neighborhood effect) they will learn here. The DISDs nationally recognized TAG schools (without caps) could be filled the top half of each Lakewood grade (that should tell you all you need to know). This school is NOT good at is making parents feel like their child is exceptional (this is not their bread and butter as it is in private schools) or a political expectation (as it is in highland park). If the school was 25% less crowed and had 50% more space it would the one of the best public schools in the country- but all in all good to great school buoyed by great neighborhood.

Lakewood Elementary School 2

Posted May 04, 2014
Lakewood is overcrowded and disorganized. The administration was incompetent in the way it handled the leveling this year. My sons teacher is nice but has way too many children. I wasn't told about significant things that happened to my son until weeks later at the parent teacher conference. This school is not equipped to identify and help children who are above or below the average. The only reason lakewood scores better than the rest of Dallas is they have a much lower amount of ESL and economically disadvantaged students. The school boundaries have been gerrymandered to keep test scores up so the property values stay up. My son received a much better education at another DISD school last year. The only reason you should send your child to Lakewood is if you want to display their bumper sticker on your Lexus

Posted January 15, 2014
We are in our last year at Lakewood, thank heavens. The classes and the school are ridiculously over crowded with kids who live nowhere near the school. Because it is overcrowded, the lunches and recesses are very, very short. Everything at this school is about the test! Terrible arts program. The teachers never seem happy anymore. The new principal is overwhelmed. My children do very well, but they were doing well at their last school too. When we moved to the neighborhood we thought we were getting a warm and friendly school, but they just want your money. It's really nothing special compared to schools in surrounding districts.

Lakewood Elementary School 5

Posted September 13, 2013
I absolutely love this school. The teachers are terrific and caring and responsive. I see some comments about the previous principal Ms Thompson - who I agree was less than delightful to deal with. She has, however, been replaced with Ms Brookshire-Simmons who is lovely and much more interested in individual students' needs. The class sizes are quite large - which is no surprise because the school is great and basically everyone in the neighborhood sends their kids to the school rather than private school. However, funds are currently being raised to build new buildings and double the square footage within the next 2 years. So the crowding problems should be resolved very shortly. It's a great neighborhood and wonderful that so many families in the community support the local schools and believe in them enough to see past the DISD reputation and attend our fantastic public school. I couldn't be happier with our experience.

Lakewood Elementary School 5

Posted July 10, 2013
Lakewood Elementary. #1 school. At Lakewood, they teach you. In California, they treat you like you're already supposed to know.

Lakewood Elementary School 4

Posted May 16, 2013
Lakewood Elementary has a caring community and high level of parent involvement . I do think there is a lot of emphasis on testing and grades. There is a lot of homework right from the early years and worksheet based curriculum. I wish the kids had a longer recess (15 mins to eat and 15 mins of play) and I am not happy if any member disrupts the class, this break can be taken away (and has many times) thereby punishing all the children. They need a chance to let off steam at lunch as the environment is very disciplined. Having said all that my child likes going to school for the most part and is proud of her school.

Posted January 07, 2013
My son lost interest in science and math while at Lakewood. Although we moved to another school because of career, I'm glad we did. He has the spark back about learning and says he LOVES math and science again. I don't think I would've realized it was due to the school until we moved. The school is very regimented and not very creative as far as teaching goes. They do a lot of worksheets at Lakewood and move quickly. When he started at his new school they were a couple of months behind where Lakewood was but the telling part was that he did not remember how to do the lessons that he had already mastered at lakewood. I prefer that they move slower but actually learn and not just memorize the topics. The parental involvement is amazing and I think this makes up for a lot but the curriculum coud be much improved.

Lakewood Elementary School
3000 Hillbrook Street, Dallas, TX  75214
Last modified Lakewood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lakewood Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 58 reviews. Top