Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted November 18, 2015
I rarely saw homework at any school in denton isd. principal Ford once told me it was up to the kids to ask for it. He sure did not care then or now. Just collecting a pay check.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted November 18, 2015
Many choose to live a sinful life style by choice that will prevent them from ever understanding the bond between a parent and child. I hope they feel equal pain or worse that we have been forced to feel since the beginning of this travesty someday and especially from the recent move of our youngest to college a year too soon but especially the pain and heart ache the sibling struggles with still today.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted November 18, 2015
To make a long story short, in 2012-2013 when our oldest was threatened and in danger from a boy. Denton High principal Dan Ford told my wife "my assistant principal Jason Tackett handled the threats all wrong and you should have gone to the police, I can’t out of fear of retaliation". We knew at that moment Dan Ford had no control of students, staff or the ability to protect our children. We had all we could tolerate and would not live with this standard at Denton High any longer. We tried to get transfers to Argyle, Byron Nelson, Guyer and even Lake Dallas unsuccessfully. We had no choice but to sell and did and moved into another home Christmas Day 2014 and sure wish we could have found a home out of any Denton school zones completely now, but we didn’t and were accused of moving for athletic reasons and our younger daughter was then punished due to a spiteful, sinful and vindictive softball coach. I can’t and won’t just accept this travesty and move on. I hope to see the UIL in federal court one day and will bash denton isd forever. Both my daughter’s had to learn the evil and dark side of adults much too early in life, not just our youngest who handled this spiteful travesty better than anyone, who persevered, succeeded and graduated a year early to show Denton ISD where they could shove their secret extra year of ineligibility policy. It has been a shocking lesson to witness and experience for all of us, but despite this shameful and disgraceful travesty we accomplished all we intended to with the move. Both our girls had a happy and safer senior year at Guyer high school which is night and day in comparison to Denton high standards but also has plenty of problems as well. Sadly, our oldest could not be protected by Denton ISD and was ignored throughout this entire travesty. It’s still mind boggling today it was referred to as drama from so many and especially assistant principal Jason Tackett. There is not a district athletic director, principal or superintendent in Denton responsible, professional or capable of doing what’s right for the kids and protect them. You see the disgrace and negligence in the newspapers and TV every year.

Posted March 19, 2014
I am the parent of a recent graduate and a current senior. Both had good grades (top 10%). DHS has some amazing teachers, but it is ruled by self-proclaimed tenured teachers who bully students, parents, and younger teachers. Most subjects, with the exception of history, are well-taught. Beware of misleading claims made by the IB Programme. Most schools probably give favors to children of district employees, but the favoritism at DHS is noticeable. DHS is a good fit if you cherish academics more than your child's self-concept. You cannot keep your child safe from bullies when bullying starts at the top. I wanted to love DHS, but I would look elsewhere if I had it to do again.

Posted March 04, 2014
Just like any school, you get out what you put in. I knew kids that flunked out, but I got a full ride to a fantastic university because of the teachers and staff at this school. Sure, it may not be the newest or the prettiest, but the teachers clearly care for their students. In four years I only had one teacher that I would say "wasn't a good teacher" but even he was a good person.

Posted October 21, 2013
filled with drugs and gangs and sex. Not a great place at all. I recently moved. But I remember the classes being mostly packets nor teaching. Tons of negativity. Just a terrible place.

Denton High School 4

Posted September 10, 2013
My son is a freshman at Denton High. He loves it. He said all of his teachers are nice. He loves playing football and likes all the coaches. So far so good. It's in a great location too. Close by downtown Denton Square, UNT, and TWU.

Posted April 13, 2013
Fabulous school. During my 4 years at DHS I had some of the best teachers. The school has an amazing fine arts department, though sports definitely lacks in some areas. DHS consistantly gets high test scores and many students go on to very prestigious schools. Some teachers should be removed, as is always the case, but most not only love their jobs but are truly inspiring and will work for their students success.

Posted September 17, 2012
Horrid. Due to problems at Denton High School after Guyer opened the district rezoned south Denton kids to DHS. The district provides no transportation to these kids for tutorials or extracurricular activities, rather blames working parents for holding a job and thus being unable spend their days chauffeuring kids around town (an hour round trip to and from school vs. 10 minutes by car to and from Guyer). The buses are late daily and kids from the south side miss substantial amounts of instructional time. The administration refuses to work with parents and has a very dismissive attitude.

Posted September 23, 2009
We are so diverse it's amazing! Everyone is welcome and no one is left out. We may have our own groups of friends but when it comes down to it we are all just a big family and we know we can count on each other. We are the top school in academics! We have the highest SAT and ACT scores out of the three high schools in Denton. We love to have a bunch of diverse kids doing what they love and every kid has a place where they belong. We may play sports, but we know in the end, it's the achademics we do that count, and we work our hardest to make our school number 1!

1007 Fulton Street, Denton, TX  76201
Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. (940) 369-2000
Last modified Denton High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.