Houston Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 607 students

Living in Denton

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $137,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Posted yesterday

Our son has attended Sam Houston since K. He is in 4th now, and our 2nd son is now in K there as well. We have been pleased overall with the school, and staff. We moved last spring out of the Houston zone. We didn't want to change schools, so we were able to apply for a transfer to keep our kids there. My son has had some amazing teachers, and some we didn't care for so much! He is also in Dyslexia, and this program has been amazing for him. I do agree parent involvement is very high, and if it was not for all the parent volunteers; my son wouldn't academically be where he is today! Now we have another son in K this year, and though the new school year has just begun we are very pleased so far! I do agree drop off, and Pu need major improvements. It's been overwhelming each day! The homework load can be a bit much, but it's manageable, and always consistent. So, you know what to expect each week. We have had great experiences with the Principal, and Counselor. They are both very invoked with the students, and daily activities of the school. In my opinion Houston is a great school, and we are pleased our children get to be a part of such a great, positive, learning Environment.

Posted August 4, 2014

My son and daughter go here. Principle is very involved, teachers are fantastic! Good education and parental involvement. Most importantly my kids enjoy going to this school.

Posted May 24, 2014

Parental involvement is high, so there are lots of parties and events with soda, popcorn, and junk food. (Lots of school-sponsored junk food here!! Beware!!) But the principal and VP turn a blind eye to problems. When kids have a problem (with teacher, with bullies, with learning issue, etc.) the principal will tell you what the "solution" is, but no one checks to see if the teachers are enforcing the solution. (Ours repeatedly didn't.) Document your problems with emails and notes, because it will always be your fault that you didn't bring it to the principal's attention or that you didn't follow up. Expect to be broken-recorded...the principal is one of the best at playing the same tune over and over. Our child is so happy at a new school. And yes, kindergarten was on the same playground with 4th graders at the same time. Tremendously stupid, given the height of some of the play equipment. Teachers sat under the shade structure and talking while kids pushed and shoved each other around.

Posted August 21, 2013

Not happy with this school. Daughter fell behind after 1year of going here. Tried to talk to principle to get her into a good class and refused to even try to understand what I was saying. Highly frustrating when this is my child's education. I should be able to have a say. Hoping to get her out of this school.

Posted June 5, 2013

This was our first year here at Sam Houston. My son is in Kindergarten.. Overall the teachers are friendly and helpful and my son has really enjoyed this year. My only complaint is pick-ups and playground area.. Pick-ups have NO supervision and that worries me.. There is no organization whatsoever.. Playground there is minimal supervision.. Other than that it is a great school!

Posted May 3, 2013

The school has its good and bad. There are some very good teachers. The safety of the children is a problem with drop off, dismissal and especially the playground. It is not uncommon that the younger students are mixed with the older and this really adds to the drama at school.

Posted April 8, 2013

Its a great school - good principal and good teachers. The other support staff - library/front office are also very helpful.

Posted February 9, 2011

My son has attended Sam Houston Elem since kindergarten and we are pleased overall with his education. Like all schools in Texas, they are very focused on teaching to TAKS. As a parent and previous Denton ISD student, I really hate this. Teaching children to pass a test is important, but not the only important thng in life or in education. We have had hits and misses with his teachers...kindergarten and 2nd were huge disappointments. Lets just say, lots of problems. 1st grade teacher was FANTASTIC! She caught a learning disability within the first few weeks. 3rd grade was the start of team teaching..we love this. We don't like the AR program. The homework load is a bit much. The principal is great. She's kind but strict. She also expects parents discipline kids at home for what happened at school. Parental involvement and volunteers are numerous & fantastic here.

Posted September 16, 2009

Great teachers and staff. Active PTA.

Posted March 8, 2009

Leadership excellent. Some teachers need to be re-evaluated. Parent involvement and displine strong.

Posted October 5, 2008

I have 2 children at Sam Houston and I couldn't be happier with their experience there. The teachers that we have had are excellent and the principal is superb. The PTA and parents are very involved at every level. We recently moved and the main criterion for our new home search was to stay in this school.

Posted October 3, 2007

Houston has some excellent teachers. The principal is fair, she does her best to help the kids. My son had always struggled with reading and last year in 4th grade he excelled. His teachers all encouraged him and we[re] great with him and he improved so much, I could hardly believe it. He loves art class and PE, has never complained about the teachers or office staff. I only have 1 complaint. The times I have visited the campus, I was not stopped to be asked what my purpose there was. The security could use some work. But as far as the curriculum, teachers, and parent involvement, I am very pleased.

Posted October 3, 2007

We spent K and 2nd at Houston, and I was very unhappy with my experience. I agree that love of learning is not instilled there. They also don't know how to deal effectively with children. The principal told me I needed to 'fix' my son myself when he got in trouble, no talk about what we could do together. PE was a problem for my son, so I went to check it out. I went 5 times and all I ever saw them do was run laps. Then they all sat on the floor for 20 min. while the teachers tallied up how many miles they had run. Heck, I would have been causing problems if they were trying to make me do that! High test scores just reflect the economic reality of the area the school is in, not the quality of the school. Too many worksheet too!

Posted September 19, 2007

The biggest flaw is the negativity and absence of joy within the walls of the school. I would advise anyone considering purchasing a home in this school zone to visit several schools of interest in person during the school day. On paper this school looks very appealing. The PTA is active, the TAKs scores are high, however, it is important to remember that how your child is spoken to on a day to day basis and how material is presented is more important than an overall school rating. Visit during the school day, during lunch and recess, walk down the hallways and listen for positive words of encouragement. If instead you hear negative, threatening, scolding, words in the hallways and behind closed doors, I would suggest you keep looking....We are now at another school in the district and my child's fears and anxiety have virtually disappeared.

Posted July 12, 2007

My daughter was in kindergarten last year and overall we had a very positive experience. This school was a major considertation when we purchased our home in the area 5 years ago. As a local realtor for the past 8 years in Denton I had the luxury of knowing what kind of feedback each elementary school was getting. Houston is known as one of the top elementary schools in the district. Tons of extracurricular events for the kids. The teachers and staff have always been friendly and responsive to our childs needs. When reading the postings on this site I suggest that no institution will ever be able to please all of the parents and too many times we parents expect the school to deliver what we as parents should be providing. The main areas for improvement seem to be reducing class size and security when the school day ends.

Posted November 26, 2006

Parent involvement is very high. The PTA is strong. The Principal is tough but fair. The office staff is very friendly; they know everyone who walks through the front doors. Security is good. All school doors are locked, except for the main doors by the office. All visitors must check in, and to be a volunteer you have to complete a background check. Kindergarten through Second grade teachers are very good with rare exception. Then you get to Third grade. I actually had a teacher tell me that my child needed to increase his speed and decrease his accuracy. They truly teach to the TAKS test. If you survive Third grade, then Fourth and Fifth Grade are good years.

Posted December 30, 2005

Playground safety is an issue. Teachers could be more friendly.

Posted December 29, 2004

I personally feel that this school does not do everything it could do when it comes to helping parents with their children. I have a child that has issues and I don't feel as if the staff is very helpful when you need the help in dealing to solve things. They tell you oh they are in special ed so we are limited, well all kids, in order to learn need to have specific training, discipline, etc...They need to work more with the parents.

Posted December 3, 2004

Overall, I have been pretty happy with my daughter attending Houston Elementary. I have only one concern, and it's a big one; security and safety. My daughter's previous school had a security system on the doors of the school (they were locked), the staff would have to see each guest then push a button to allow them into the school. Houston Elementary, however, allows the doors to remain unlocked during school hours. I've seen adults walk in and out of the school at their leisure, without even being questioned. With today's crime rates in the U.S., this concerns me a great deal. My daughter's previous school was located in an 'upper class' area, therefore, the surrounding neighborhood should not be a factor in whether or not our schools should protect our children to the best of their abilities.

Posted November 1, 2004

I am a bit disapointed by the lack of engaging learning activities taking place within the classroom. The teachers rely heavily on worksheets and an Accelerated Reading program to teach. There are few interactive learning opportunities. Most of the student work is individually done paper/pencil activities with little small or large group work. The overall climate is not particularly friendly.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

91 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

93 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

86 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

89 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

89 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

102 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

103 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

103 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students96%

Economically disadvantaged90%
Special education80%
Non-migrant96%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students91%

Proficient in English87%
Non-migrant86%
Non-Gifted83%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Asian or Pacific Islander 8% 4%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 7%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3100 Teasley Lane