Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Develops character: Strongly agree

all they care about is everyone is your friend and optimisim,grit , and kindness but it doesnt controll the students like they want it to.That is why little kids run around.Also does exercise as corporeal punishment as of 2016 and will continue.

my child was advanced and when he got to 5th grade the teachers thought him thing he knew.

Security expecially the pickup process is very poor! Principal needs to get a handle on this situation. Little ones running around without and checks & balances of who is really picking up who???

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Interventions were immediate when they were needed. Tutoring is offered, and resources were shared. Communication was consistent so there were no surprises.

Amount of homework: Agree

We spend about 20 minutes a day on homework. Most of it my children can do independently.

I love how involved the principal is here at Sam Houston. She is always in the classrooms, in the hallways, at dismissal, everywhere you look every time I am there. My son came to this school behind in math and within the first 6 weeks, he was on level and proceeded to progress and love math! The teacher communication is good, daily folders and emails with reminders and notices of things to come. All of my children have made amazing friends here, very respectful and friendly environment. I also love how they do morning exercises as a campus every morning, and all grade levels have PE three times a week. The younger grade levels have two recess times, and I feel this is so important for their learning throughout the day. I am very thankful for this staff and school.

Excellent school and teachers. We loved our first year here! Couldn't have asked for more caring teachers. Our daughter really excelled here.

Our child did fine in second grade here, and then third grade was a horrible experience for him. He fell way behind, and now hates school. In-class intervention documentations were requested several times and very little was documented about what was being done to help in class, . Lots of worksheets and test prep and computerized assessments. Some interventions were incorrectly documented and had to be corrected per parent request. He is a special kid so STAAR is part of the problem but we feel like the problems were not handled in a positive or professional manner. We were shcoked when his teacher started talking about retention in January. That seemed drastic for a student that had been doing well K-2. We hope for a better experience next year. We hope he gets back his love of learning. We are also very concerned with the security of the school, seems like anyone can sign any name and just walk on in. No id's are checked. Like another review stated document your problems with emails and notes.

Our son has attended Sam Houston since K. He is in 4th now, and our 2nd son is now in K there as well. We have been pleased overall with the school, and staff. We moved last spring out of the Houston zone. We didn't want to change schools, so we were able to apply for a transfer to keep our kids there. My son has had some amazing teachers, and some we didn't care for so much! He is also in Dyslexia, and this program has been amazing for him. I do agree parent involvement is very high, and if it was not for all the parent volunteers; my son wouldn't academically be where he is today! Now we have another son in K this year, and though the new school year has just begun we are very pleased so far! I do agree drop off, and Pu need major improvements. It's been overwhelming each day! The homework load can be a bit much, but it's manageable, and always consistent. So, you know what to expect each week. We have had great experiences with the Principal, and Counselor. They are both very invoked with the students, and daily activities of the school. In my opinion Houston is a great school, and we are pleased our children get to be a part of such a great, positive, learning Environment.

My son and daughter go here. Principle is very involved, teachers are fantastic! Good education and parental involvement. Most importantly my kids enjoy going to this school.

Last modified Houston Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.