Posted August 31, 2014
Our son has attended Sam Houston since K. He is in 4th now, and our 2nd son is now in K there as well. We have been pleased overall with the school, and staff. We moved last spring out of the Houston zone. We didn't want to change schools, so we were able to apply for a transfer to keep our kids there. My son has had some amazing teachers, and some we didn't care for so much! He is also in Dyslexia, and this program has been amazing for him. I do agree parent involvement is very high, and if it was not for all the parent volunteers; my son wouldn't academically be where he is today! Now we have another son in K this year, and though the new school year has just begun we are very pleased so far! I do agree drop off, and Pu need major improvements. It's been overwhelming each day! The homework load can be a bit much, but it's manageable, and always consistent. So, you know what to expect each week. We have had great experiences with the Principal, and Counselor. They are both very invoked with the students, and daily activities of the school. In my opinion Houston is a great school, and we are pleased our children get to be a part of such a great, positive, learning Environment.

Posted August 04, 2014
My son and daughter go here. Principle is very involved, teachers are fantastic! Good education and parental involvement. Most importantly my kids enjoy going to this school.

Houston Elementary School 1

Posted May 24, 2014
Parental involvement is high, so there are lots of parties and events with soda, popcorn, and junk food. (Lots of school-sponsored junk food here!! Beware!!) But the principal and VP turn a blind eye to problems. When kids have a problem (with teacher, with bullies, with learning issue, etc.) the principal will tell you what the "solution" is, but no one checks to see if the teachers are enforcing the solution. (Ours repeatedly didn't.) Document your problems with emails and notes, because it will always be your fault that you didn't bring it to the principal's attention or that you didn't follow up. Expect to be broken-recorded...the principal is one of the best at playing the same tune over and over. Our child is so happy at a new school. And yes, kindergarten was on the same playground with 4th graders at the same time. Tremendously stupid, given the height of some of the play equipment. Teachers sat under the shade structure and talking while kids pushed and shoved each other around.

Houston Elementary School 1

Posted August 21, 2013
Not happy with this school. Daughter fell behind after 1year of going here. Tried to talk to principle to get her into a good class and refused to even try to understand what I was saying. Highly frustrating when this is my child's education. I should be able to have a say. Hoping to get her out of this school.

Houston Elementary School 4

Posted June 05, 2013
This was our first year here at Sam Houston. My son is in Kindergarten.. Overall the teachers are friendly and helpful and my son has really enjoyed this year. My only complaint is pick-ups and playground area.. Pick-ups have NO supervision and that worries me.. There is no organization whatsoever.. Playground there is minimal supervision.. Other than that it is a great school!

Houston Elementary School 2

Posted May 03, 2013
The school has its good and bad. There are some very good teachers. The safety of the children is a problem with drop off, dismissal and especially the playground. It is not uncommon that the younger students are mixed with the older and this really adds to the drama at school.

Posted April 08, 2013
Its a great school - good principal and good teachers. The other support staff - library/front office are also very helpful.

Houston Elementary School 4

Posted February 09, 2011
My son has attended Sam Houston Elem since kindergarten and we are pleased overall with his education. Like all schools in Texas, they are very focused on teaching to TAKS. As a parent and previous Denton ISD student, I really hate this. Teaching children to pass a test is important, but not the only important thng in life or in education. We have had hits and misses with his teachers...kindergarten and 2nd were huge disappointments. Lets just say, lots of problems. 1st grade teacher was FANTASTIC! She caught a learning disability within the first few weeks. 3rd grade was the start of team teaching..we love this. We don't like the AR program. The homework load is a bit much. The principal is great. She's kind but strict. She also expects parents discipline kids at home for what happened at school. Parental involvement and volunteers are numerous & fantastic here.

Houston Elementary School 0

Posted September 16, 2009
Great teachers and staff. Active PTA.

Posted March 08, 2009
Leadership excellent. Some teachers need to be re-evaluated. Parent involvement and displine strong.

Houston Elementary School
3100 Teasley Lane, Denton, TX  76205
Last modified Houston Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Houston Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top